ADSL Max Question?

Permabanned
Apparently if you get 'Interleaving' turned on it can increase your speed but also increase your ping.

Not sure how true this is, time will tell.

All exchanges have been activated for MAXDSL, it is just a case of BT activating the lines, there is a limit on the number that can be ordered per day.

EDIT: http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/184

Last edited:
Associate
Any ISP that asks people to hang on for 2 weeks is probably planning to use the bulk-regrade process rather than individual orders.

Soldato
There seems to be some confusion on MAX.
Nobody is yet on the MAX service.
The 31st date was simply the first day that ISP's could actually order a regrade onto MAX for any of their customers.
Nobody is going to actually be on MAX until at least 5 days later.
Those that have had regrades ordered will be looking at the standard 5-10 days BT always quotes.

Soldato
How close do you need to be for 8Mbps?

I'm apparently 744metres according to Sam Knows - 5Mbps or higher. According to Pipex I'll only get 4Mbps, hmm weird! My girlfriend is 200ish metres and she gets 6Mbps. Do you need to be 10 metres away or something? :confused:

BeatMaster :D

Caporegime
Its the SNR that matters, you need about 22dB to 25dB on a 2mbit line to get 8mbit.

Don't worry what the checkers say, they'll just quote the lowest figure.

Caporegime
Is that the Speedtouch 330?

Install dr speedtouch then right click the icon in systray, advanced, log file, then look in the file for recieve snr margin or similar.

Caporegime
Just to reply again, I'm really bummed. Now maxdsl is here my SNR isn't as good as it once was, I can remember everytime I checked it used to be 25dB but now it falls as low as 17dB at times, is there any way to get BT to investigate?

Soldato
PiKe said:
Just to reply again, I'm really bummed. Now maxdsl is here my SNR isn't as good as it once was, I can remember everytime I checked it used to be 25dB but now it falls as low as 17dB at times, is there any way to get BT to investigate?

Unless you're suffering any other issues (e.g. crackly voice line, intermittent sync etc) then they really aren't going to be interested in getting you a couple more dB SNR I'm afraid.

Soldato
Anyone know what the deal with requesting a move on plusnet is? According to the adsl speed checker I should be able to get 8Mbit, but don't know if plusnet have got their act together in moving people...

Soldato
growse said:
Anyone know what the deal with requesting a move on plusnet is? According to the adsl speed checker I should be able to get 8Mbit, but don't know if plusnet have got their act together in moving people...

The process of upgrading all of our customers will most likely take a few months due to BT delays, unfortunately we have no specific ETA as of yet.

If you wish to have the regrade actioned asap we can do this for a fee of £14.99

Apologies for the delay.

Regards,
Mark Poole

Soldato
Phil99 said:
Some people have been on MaxDSL for at least a week now; depends when the exchange was enabled/how lucky they are.

No...their exchange has been MAX enabled for a week, some even longer.
No ISP has been able to order a MAX product since before the 31st March with the exception of those people who took part in the various trials.

A MAX enabled exchange does not a MAX connection give - the regrade is a totally manual one in BT's eyes and no ISP has been able to place orders for one before the 31st.

The only lucky ones are those that took part in the trials and they have been using MAX for longer than a week or ten days - when the exchanges were being upgraded ready for the 31st launch date.

Soldato
PiKe said:
Is that the Speedtouch 330?

Install dr speedtouch then right click the icon in systray, advanced, log file, then look in the file for recieve snr margin or similar.

For some reason when doing the test it can't do the internet one at the end, comes up with "A Problem is detected to the internet" even though it's connected :confused:

It's the Speedtouch 330 modem :)

BeatMaster :D

Caporegime
PiKe said:
Its the SNR that matters, you need about 22dB to 25dB on a 2mbit line to get 8mbit.

Don't worry what the checkers say, they'll just quote the lowest figure.

Is that figure an official one? I'm the other side of town from my exchange, and my router's reporting:

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 31,0 / 26,5

Will be interesting to see what we get.

Soldato
I never checked my stats before but im now wondering how good or bad they are, can anyone help please?

DS Margin 19
US Margin 27

DS Line Attenuation 52
US Line Attenuation 31

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom