ADSL Max Question?

Associate
sam.wheale said:
Actually, thinking about it if I were to try upgrading to 2 MB MAX through Pipex, would that entail agreeing to a new contract with them?

SW.

Yes it does mate, my 12mth contract runs out in June, if I upgrade to max dsl a new 12mth contract will start from the upgrade date......seems a bit of a con to me. (info provided to me by Pipex support)

Soldato
Phnom_Penh said:
What speed ADSL you got? And what speed does it sync at?

It syncs at 2.2mbps but im capped to 1mbps, the bt speed test line checker gives the full 2mbps speed, im pretty sure i get very little to no errors on average as well.

Caporegime
Instead of the constant "what speed am I going to get", try reading the FAQ.
You'll find this, which is probably as good an approximation as you're likely to get short of trying it and seeing.

Whether you're capped to 1Mbps is irrelevant - it's the sync rate you plug in (2272 2Mbps, 1152 1Mbps, 576 512kbps). Its the attenuation and SNR margin for downstream/ATU-R/receive you're interested in.

Associate
Beatmaster and anyone else who can not get DRSpeedTouch to connect.....

It does!

Don't worry about the can't connect to Internet - it's just a bug. The app does run and create a log file which you can examine but you have to get it to create an XML style sheet first.

Load DRSpeedTouch. Right click the systray icon and choose

Advanced, Write Log File to Disk
accept the default (drst_log)
Save, OK (overwrite)

Now run the test again by right clicking, Diagnostics. Once the test is complete (note you still get the can't connect error),

Open the file

C:\Program Files\SpeedTouch\Dr SpeedTouch\log\drst_log.xml

and you'll see the diagnostics.

Look for the section "WANCommonInterfaceConfig" and then ReceiveAttenuation_dB, ReceiveMargin_dB, Send.... etc.

Here's mine. Can someone give them the once over?

WANCommonInterfaceConfig
DSLUptime= 563
ErrorredSeconds= 1
LossOfFraming= 1
LossOfLink= 0
LossOfSignal= 1
PhysicalLinkStatus= Up
ReceiveAttenuation_dB= 44
ReceiveMargin_dB= 31
RxOutputPower_dBm= 0
SendAttenuation_dB= 23
SendMargin_dB= 28
TotalBytesReceived= 8986627
TotalBytesSent= 499154
TotalPacketsReceived= 4355
TotalPacketsSent= 4355
TxOutputPower_dBm= 0
Uptime= 563
ChannelMode= Fast
Layer1DownstreamMaxBitRate= 576000
Layer1UpstreamMaxBitRate= 288000
WANAccessType= DSL

Soldato
tolien said:
Whether you're capped to 1Mbps is irrelevant...

I know that but he did ask, also i did a search on stats elsewhere but was a little confused about if margin means the same as snr, i presume it does but thought it was best to get a quick answer here.

Associate
my exchange has been upgraded to max dsl and my isp nildram says i can get 6.5mbps. the speed calcualater in the sticky i cant use as i only know my current line speed and it doesnt seem to work unless you fill in the Attenuation and Signal to Noise Ratio. i cant find these out from my router as it doesnt have the ability to do it. my router is a belkin F5D7630-4A. are there any other sites for speed testing that will give my the attenuation and snr info and is my router maxdsl/adsl2+ compatible or are there any firmware upgrades available to make it compatible. also what wireless routers do people recomend for maxdsl?? a couple of people have recomended the SpeedTouch716WL. is this any good??

cheers

Associate
Phnom_Penh said:
Login to your router's web interface, then goto http://x.x.x.x/adsl_status_main.stm , replacing the Xs with the ip.

nice one matey, worked a treat.

right the results are as follows........

2272 kbps downstream and 288 kbps upstream.

noise margin is 27db upstream and 37db downstream.

attenuation is 4db upstream and 6db downstream.

now i have no idea at all if these are any good. im assuming they are fairly good if i can get 6.5 meg out of 8 meg from max dsl.

what do you guys think???

Associate
Can anyone make sense of these?

(ie) convert them to my chances of getting the full 8mb? :D

DSL Status
Connection Status Connected
Upstream Rate (Kbps) 288
Downstream Rate (Kbps) 2272
US Margin 28
DS Margin 28
Modulation MMODE
LOS Errors 0
DS Line Attenuation 38
US Line Attenuation 39
Path Mode Fast Path

Damn dlink router

Caporegime
Caged said:
Is that figure an official one? I'm the other side of town from my exchange, and my router's reporting:

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 31,0 / 26,5

Will be interesting to see what we get.
You need about 8db of SNR for each double of speed.

Soldato
ruffneck said:
Can anyone make sense of these?

(ie) convert them to my chances of getting the full 8mb? :D

DSL Status
Connection Status Connected
Upstream Rate (Kbps) 288
Downstream Rate (Kbps) 2272
US Margin 28
DS Margin 28
Modulation MMODE
LOS Errors 0
DS Line Attenuation 38
US Line Attenuation 39
Path Mode Fast Path

Damn dlink router
find out yourself here http://212.23.23.177/calc.htm

Associate
tolien said:
Yes, they're very good. Expect you'd get the full 8Mbps.

excellent.

what routers do you guys suggest. i have seen the newer version of my belkin, a netgear rangemax one and the speedtouch i mentioned in my previous post.

im not quite upto date with my router info at the minute so looking for suggestions

cheers

Caporegime
antc said:
excellent.

what routers do you guys suggest. i have seen the newer version of my belkin, a netgear rangemax one and the speedtouch i mentioned in my previous post.

im not quite upto date with my router info at the minute so looking for suggestions

cheers
I'm currently looking at the Billion 7402 range, feature packed routers with a decent CPU.

Caporegime
Speedtouch 585.

I have the 580, the same thing without the ADSL2+ part. I honestly can't fault it. Shove the latest fimware on for some nice features (though it's fine without being updated, still rock solid). Handles torrents like a pro, and gives me some crazy uptimes.

Back
Top Bottom