ADSL Max Question?

Associate
ruffneck said:
did a quick search its seems like home users might be able to get 448kbs up?
I think you can only get this speed if you have good line stats and live quite close to the exchange.
This counts me out but I hope to increase my upload speed slightly from the present 256 Kb.

Soldato
Just regraded to "DSL2" in my user controls, with Nildram.

Says can take anything upto 15 days.

EDIT- it actually says 6Mbps, still 3 times faster than what I've got atm though:) Wonder if I could still get 8Mbps.

Last edited:
Soldato
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 8128 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 34 db 11.5 db
Noise Margin 7 db 23 db

:D

Still capped at 2mbits though, guess everyone is at the moment :)

Soldato
Mr Singh said:
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 8128 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 34 db 11.5 db
Noise Margin 7 db 23 db

:D

Still capped at 2mbits though, guess everyone is at the moment :)

Lucky ba.....

Which ISP?

Soldato
Scottland said:
Is that MAX, if so were you on the trails?

I thought the orders had to close before you could start to sync up at a higher speed?

Yeah thats MAX. I wasn't on the trials. I put in a regrade with my ISP on friday and I got upgraded today.

Associate
BT Regrade Cost Increase

I'm currently paying £25.80pm for BT Business Single 500. I logged into my BT account and saw the option to regrade.

'This is a free service...you may be able to upgrade to 1Mb....'

When I follow the onscreen instructions I'm presented with a new order product list where the options are

Broadband Single 1000 £35.24
Broadband Share 1000 £52.88
Broadband Network 1000 £76.38

If this regrade / adsl Max thing is free why are BT asking me to pay £10 more per month for 1Mb?

Associate
Tim said:
Just regraded to "DSL2" in my user controls, with Nildram.

Says can take anything upto 15 days.

EDIT- it actually says 6Mbps, still 3 times faster than what I've got atm though:) Wonder if I could still get 8Mbps.

im exactly the same know, says it should be done by the 13/04/06 and it says i should get 6.5mb, but all the speed calculators say i should get the full 8mb. will have to wait and see what happens.

Associate
As far as I can see, Nildram have elected to display the 6-8Mb capability as 6Mb on the checker and frankly I would have done the same.

Much better to end up with a confirmed synch of 6Mb+ at the end of the day than have bunch of people complaining because the checker said up to 8Mb and they are only getting 6 :)

I wouldn't put too much faith in the 'calculators' the only thing they can do is give you an estimnate based on the potentially inaccurate data provided by your router. The only thing that will matter in the end is the stable rate determined by the BT equipment during the first 10 days.

Soldato
Got this from plus.net via email after selecting to regrade to option 3 upto 8mbp premier £39.99
email said:
Dear Mr Stephen Alcorn,

Unfortunately, British Telecom have rejected the order to regrade your
broadband service. This usually occurs because of inconsistances in the
administrative records held by British Telecom or ourselves. Your order has
been forwarded to our regrades team for manual investigation and
processing, a process which normally takes two working days. We apologise
for this delay to your regrade order and will place it as soon as
possible.

If you do have any further queries, our friendly support team can be
contacted via the convenient Contact Us facility at our website,
http://portal.plus.net/, or by telephone on 0845 1400200.

Kind regards,

Customer Support

PlusNet - The Smarter Way to Broadband
http://portal.plus.net/
does that mean i'm being upgraded or not? as its saying its been rejected but then says about manually updating their systems :confused:
although on the plus.net ticket viewer it states 7th april for an upgrade afaik, just a shame they didnt reply saying - "yo its gettin upgraded on the 10th of april mmkay" instead of that ^^

Soldato
How old is your ADSL line? (i.e. when was it activated?)

You do realise you could get a much better service for less than £39.99 elsewhere, without the traffic shaping junk and awful customer service?

Soldato
i forgot to add
p.s. no point in tellin me about a cheaper service elsewhere...
idnet? never heard of em i'll look but not touch i think too much hassle changing all the time seeing as plus.net has been alright for me.
line has been installed about 5 yrs now and been with plus.net for around 8-9 months, no problems with them really apart from having to stop/cut down downloads which aint no big deal really.

Back
Top Bottom