1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ADSL migration - timescales/downtime?

Discussion in 'Networks & Internet Connectivity' started by HangTime, 30 Jul 2006.

1. HangTime

Man of Honour

Having been with Nildram ADSL for approaching 5 years now, I have never actually changed ADSL isp. What I'd like to know is some sort of walkthrough/timescales for the migration, e.g.

Do we just get a MAC code and contact another isp?
    How long does it take to migrate?
    How much downtime is required?

This would be from MAX onto some other standard adsl package like freeserve via standard bt dsl or whatever.

2. tolien

Caporegime

Yup.

In theory 7 days. In reality it could be 24 hours.

Potentially none, or as long as it takes for your modem to authenticate with the new ISP after you've entered your username and password.

You should change from IPStream Max to ordinary IPStream at the same time, but that's dependent on the winning ISP having a clue.

Can't say I'd recommend FreeSwerve/Wanadon't/Orange, but that's another story.

3. HangTime

Man of Honour

The connection won't actually be for me as I've just bought a house and hence am moving out of my father's house. Freeserve was just an example (his email account is still with them from dialup days) as I haven't really decided who to go with yet.

Had a quick look about and currently Eclipse look quite promising as I've heard good things about them before (touted along with Zen as rivals for Nildram), and they are offering 8mbit MAX at £9.99/month with 2gig usage allowance.

Good news about the lack of downtime. Last time I looked into it was before MAC and it was all cease-and-reprovides.

4. tolien

Caporegime

There was the great joy of CBUKs and losing/winning ISPs that could screw you around in between. :(

5. Phil99

Capodecina

You'd probably be better off on Evolution Option 1 rather than Home Broadband Option 1 as you get alot more usage for your money, even if the speeds aren't going to be as high (though there don't seem to be much of a difference between the contention levels)

6. HangTime

Man of Honour

True, I never even looked at the Evolution options as I (wrongly) assumed they would cost more due to being for heavier users.

The only downside I can see with Eclipse is the 12 month contract (or having to pay an activation fee).

7. Richdog

Caporegime

P2P shaping = lose! For a few quid more a month you get IDNet 8MB, 30GB, no shaping etc whatsoever.

8. LoadsaMoney

Caporegime

Yeah i didnt have any downtime at all, got my MAC from Tiscali then gave it to AOL, continued to use Tiscali while the migration was going through, 7 days later i could'nt connect to Tiscali anymore, so i just logged onto AOL instead and voila. :)

9. HangTime

Man of Honour

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, the connection is for my father. I doubt he even knows what P2P is.

Personally, I can live with P2P shaping anyway. But traffic shaping of FTP is well out of order (can they shape SSL ftp on non-standard ports? hmmm....) and something I would steer clear of if choosing a connection for myself.

Even then, the shaping only seems to take effect if you exceed 20gig for 2 months running from what I can see. The chances of that being exceeded will be very slim once I've moved out.

10. Richdog

Caporegime

Ahh I missed that bit, thought it was for you! Thought about IDNet? Customer service is second to none, very "father friendly" (if your dads anything like mine lol). :)