• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Advice for a temp gpu upgrade?

Associate
Looking to build a new system once ddr5 is released, but in the meantime Im thinking about getting a better gpu to tide me over as it seems to be taking forever for ddr5 to be released.
Atm I have a MSI gaming 7 mobo with a 4790K CPU, 16gb ddr3 2400mhz ram & a Gigabyte 1080ti Aorus extreme gpu all a few years old now. I play at 1440 x 3440 on a gsync monitor but mostly at 4K on an oled tv, its fine on the monitor & can play a lot/most things ok on high/ultra (the gsync deffo helps) but in 4K on the tv im having to turn things down & run at lower settings.
I am thinking about getting a low end/cheaper 3080ti to tide me over but after reading comments I think i may not get full use of it & the rest of my system will be the bottleneck.
Once I do build a ddr5 system I would look at getting a better card, but i feel that if I were to spend more on a Asus Strix 3080ti or a 3090 now, by the time I build a new rig there might be something better out or a better deal to be had.
So my question is, what gpu can i get that will be a big enough upgrade over my 1080ti at 4k without being held back by the rest of my system?
Thanks in advance.. :)

Associate
OP
Lol, so are you saying that anything more then the 1080ti will be bottlenecked by the cpu/ram & I wont see any improvements in fps/quality settings? :(

Associate
Lol, so are you saying that anything more then the 1080ti will be bottlenecked by the cpu/ram & I wont see any improvements in fps/quality settings? :(

Not in relation to the money you'd have to spend, you're at 4k so more graphics card limited but FPS is dictated by CPU so likely not such a great increase if any there, you'd be able to enable more quality settings but basically, for what you'd lay out in cash, you wouldn't be getting the best out of what you'd buy.

That's your call, but given what you say about something better likely being out when you upgrade the entire platform, I'd probably wait until you do that to get the most for your money. But it's your money and if you think you'd still have the graphics card you'd buy now when you upgrade in future, buy one and resell it when you do the big upgrade.

Associate
OP
Not in relation to the money you'd have to spend, you're at 4k so more graphics card limited but FPS is dictated by CPU so likely not such a great increase if any there, you'd be able to enable more quality settings but basically, for what you'd lay out in cash, you wouldn't be getting the best out of what you'd buy.

I'm only playing at 60fps on the oled but im getting dips in fps with newer games (no VRR), so you think a better card would help to hold a more solid 60fps even with my 4790k if you think im graphics card limited at 4k? If so what card would you think would be ok & what could be considered a waste? Eg, my rig would make full use of a 3070ti but a 3090 would be a waste! You know what I mean..:)

I dont mind spending a bit on a new card now cos I could sell my 1080ti & also sell the "new" card when i upgrade pc later. Also the fact that it could even be a while yet before i even get to upgrade depending on when ddr5 will be readily available.

V F

V F

Soldato
A 4790K wont cut it with a 3080Ti to tide you over. A CPU upgrade will make that 1080Ti sing.

Soldato
You think the cpu is holding back the 1080ti at 4k? Curioustomcat seems to think im more gpu limited at 4k? (if I read that right)

I was kind of being sarcastic. The 1080ti is still a great card. I'd love one as my permanent GPU. Yet you want a temp card to replace it.

CPUs have moved on since 4 cores was a thing.

Associate
I would wait until next year for the new 4000/7000 series cards, they are supposed to be a big increase on current cards, especially for playing at 4k. In the meantime turndown the graphic settings in games if it helps get the fps you want

Soldato
DDR5 is a year or more from mainstream and DDR4 will be about for 5+ years. I would get a second hand AMD 5600/5800 or 3900X and a B550 mobo. That would give you a big boost and last until DDR 5 is worth getting. NV GPU drivers can use 15-30% more CPU resources so a CPU upgrade could boost the GPU performance a nice amount, also FSR should work on a 1080.

Associate
OP
DDR5 is a year or more from mainstream and DDR4 will be about for 5+ years. I would get a second hand AMD 5600/5800 or 3900X and a B550 mobo. That would give you a big boost and last until DDR 5 is worth getting. NV GPU drivers can use 15-30% more CPU resources so a CPU upgrade could boost the GPU performance a nice amount, also FSR should work on a 1080.

Im gonna look into that now, what would be the minimum spec mobo/cpu ram bundle I should look at to match up with something like a rtx 3080?

Associate
When you said you wanted a new GPU to "tide you over" I was expecting you to say you have something like a 1060 or a 570. 1080ti is plenty for now, just wait.

Associate
OP
When you said you wanted a new GPU to "tide you over" I was expecting you to say you have something like a 1060 or a 570. 1080ti is plenty for now, just wait.

I kinda know it would be the sensible thing to do, but I've had my setup for a few years now & just getting a bit impatient lol, I really thought DDR5 would be readily available by now.. :/

Associate
Ryzen refresh is due towards end of the year, as always the longer you wait the more newer and better parts are out

Back
Top Bottom