Advice for upgrading existing build

Ebi

Ebi

Associate
Hi all,

So I am thinking about upgrading my PC after around 3/4years. I'm not fussed about 4k, but i'd like to future proof a little further and be able to do for example render videos at the same time as comfortably using the pc (within reason).

I have always been a Intel/Nvidia user and have zero clue about the AMD/Ryzen situation, but i've heard that you can get a decent bang for your buck. Im not adverse to the idea doing a completely new build and keeping this as a spare PC (maybe stick behind the TV or something). I'd just like to get some info from people in the know.

Here is my current spec.

CPU - i57600k 3.80ghz
GPU - 1060gtx 6GB
MB - Gigabyte Z270P
Ram - 16gb @ 1066MHz dual channel
PSU - B700 coolmaster 700w

Storage -
- 500 GB SSD Samsung 860 EVO
- 256 GB SSD Samsung 850 PRO (OS drive)
- 1TB seagate
- 1TB seagate

Notes -
Im interested in the NMe SSDs as a new OS/boot drive but unsure if it is any better than my current dedicated ssd.
Importance for me is pure performance for things like rendering videos, Autocad, overall speed (read/write) and then stable 60fps gaming.
Im not looking to upgrade Peripheries as i have 2 decent monitors and kb&m

So love to hear what you good chaps have to say about it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Welcome to the forums.

So AMD are announcing their new CPU lineup in 6 days which will give you a better idea of how much you're willing to spend, and get a decent bargain if you decide to go 2nd hand instead. Intel are still overpriced (imo) so I'd try and grab an AMD CPU if you can, 5700x/5800x depending on price.

They're also announcing their new 6000 GPU series on 28th Oct. If you can wait that long, it might be worth holding out, given the supply issue with nVidia atm.

Are you looking to replace monitor as well as base components? PSU also?

What kind of budget do you have in mind? Could spec you if you have a price - as an idea.

Ebi

Ebi

Associate
OP
Are you looking to replace monitor as well as base components? PSU also?

What kind of budget do you have in mind? Could spec you if you have a price - as an idea.

I updated my original post with details about PSU and monitors. but to save you looking again, its a 700w coolmaster and i have 2x BenQ XL2720Z (144Hz).
I'm happy to not get bleeding edge hardware because nothing I do utilises it, since i dont play in 4k etc.
Budget-wise it depends on if i can upgrade my current PC or have to go completely new.
lets say £1000 max.

appreciate your help

Soldato
I updated my original post with details about PSU and monitors. but to save you looking again, its a 700w coolmaster and i have 2x BenQ XL2720Z (144Hz).
I'm happy to not get bleeding edge hardware because nothing I do utilises it, since i dont play in 4k etc.
Budget-wise it depends on if i can upgrade my current PC or have to go completely new.
lets say £1000 max.

appreciate your help

No Problem

So:
- CPU placeholder for price
- GPU placeholder for price (or go 2nd hand 2070/2080super)
- SSD; you can either use your own or throw in an NVME. Selling your existing hardware might increase your budget for newer/quicker tech
- Case; personal choice and left it for you

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,022.96 (includes shipping: £11.10)​

Ebi

Ebi

Associate
OP
Appreciate the help.
To get my head around it the RX5700, is a place holder, but would be a general improvement of my 1060 as is? Benchmarking wise it seems to be a bit better than a 2060.
With the new AMD cpu and gpus coming out, theoretically the current "best" units would drop in price, so i could go for those? in saying that, could that be an option going forward?

Soldato
Appreciate the help.
To get my head around it the RX5700, is a place holder, but would be a general improvement of my 1060 as is? Benchmarking wise it seems to be a bit better than a 2060.
With the new AMD cpu and gpus coming out, theoretically the current "best" units would drop in price, so i could go for those? in saying that, could that be an option going forward?

So this would give you an idea of the performance boost:

https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/2523?vs=2545

Typically the prices of older GPUs haven't exactly dropped in price as much as we would like.
The placeholder was more for the 6500/6600/6700 GPU range being released around Nov time, might be worth holding onto the 1060 until you know what your budget allows.

Back
Top Bottom