Advice on a Gaming/Streaming Computer build

Associate
Hey Overclockers Forum!
With the christmas holiday's coming up, I've decided to build a new gaming/streaming PC. For quite a few months I've been watching/ reading up on reviews on various hardware and asking my friends for advice on this build.

=================
My Current Build
=================

Currently I'm gaming on:

CPU: i5-4570 3.20 Ghz (4 cores, 4 Threads)
*This CPU is the non 'K' version, so no overclock this CPU

Motherboard:
Asus H81-Me (Micro Atx)

GPU:
Gigabyte GTX 980 (Non G1 card)

RAM:
16 GB, Teamgroup Vulcan Red
DDR 3 Running at 1600mhz

PSU:
Evga "SuperNova" 650w

Cooling:
Corsair H80i

Case:
Corsair Carbide Air 240

--------------------------------------------------------------
Whilst my current computer is serving me well for gaming. I'm having trouble streaming. Whilst attempting to stream various games, specifically Overwatch and Doom 2016, I was getting a severe amount of suttering and dropped frames.

After testing different stream qualitys and switching between CPU and GPU Encoders, I came to the conclusion that my processor was lacking the threads to pull off a streaming task like this.

============================================
Computer Purpose / Reason for the new build
============================================

As the thread title says, I would like to build a computer for Gaming and Casually streaming gameplay now and then to my friends ( I'm not going hardcore streaming )

Whilst I believe that the best approach to streaming would be to have two PCs (and a capture card), I feel that I don't/ won't stream enough for me to warrant a set-up like this.

=====================
Purpose Specifics
=====================

The type of games I would be playing on this rig would be, Overwatch(@ 144hz 1080p) , Doom 2016, Wolfenstein, Forza Horizon 3, Elite Dangerous, WatchDogs, Fallout 4

When it comes to streaming I would like to stream at a decent quality (720 60fps), whilst still being able to play games at an excellent performance

for example:
------------
I would like to stream overwatch at 720p 60fps, Whilst playing overwatch at 144hz 1080p
*Currently when I try to stream, Overwatch becomes a stuttering mess with framerate dropping to 20-40fps and the CPU maxing out 100%

(When streaming other games I don't mind on some, for example I play Forza Horizon 3 at 60fps due to how cpu intesive that game is. so no need to achieve 144hz)

=====================================
Budget and the Current Recomendations
====================================

I understand that computers set for this task are pricey, so I've set my budget at £1500,
(I don't mind stretching it to £1700)

After asking friends/ watching youtube videos, here's the current recomendations on CPU's / GPU's

CPU Recommendations:
------------------------------------------------------

AMD, Ryzen 7 1700 (for it's Core/thread count)

I've been told by various mates, that I should buy the Ryzen7 1700 and Overclock it to 3.8/3.9ghz. As
the 1700x and 1800x are practically the same chip?

Intel, i7 7700K
(for the Single Thread performance)
A few people have mentioned that Overwatch Streamers use Intel's Kabylake (or skylake revision.2 as I call it)

After watching various youtube videos, I'm not sure if the Ryzen is more suitable than this.

Intel, i7 8700K

(for Single thread and Core quanity)

Whilst I nearly had my heart set on Ryzen 7, I found that the 8th Generation has 6 cores/ 12 threads
(Frequency clocked at 3.7Ghz)

Would this be more suitable for gaming and streaming?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I would buy an appropriate motherboard to accompany the CPU I purchase, a few people have recommended ASUS mobo's Accomidated with an adequate aftermarket cooler (Notuca fan or a AIO water cooler)

but if any of you guys have recommendations, please, feel free tell me about them

GPU:
-----------------------------------------------------
GTX 1070

GTX 1080

GTX 1080 Ti

RX580

Vega 64 (<-- gonna be honest, I haven't read up on the performance of this card, but already been hearing decent reviews from it)

RAM:
-------------------------------------------
DDR 4 16GB
(I'll purchase the ram that is compatible for the CPU (I've heard they're are certain types of ram that work better for Ryzen / Intel)

Again, any recommended types of ram, feel free to comment

Storage:
--------------------------------------
SSD Samsung 250gb (Windows 10 shall sit in it <- also 1 or two games)

Toshiba 2TB Harddrive for any other games and general storage)

=====================================
Why am i asking Overclockers forums?
====================================

After watching youtube videos, my decision making has become quite difficult.

Various videos have said that Ryzen 7 1700 has problems at gaming at high fps whilst steaming and seems to be
tailored/optimtized towards certain games (like Dota 2)

For example: Ryzen 7 for Overwatch will stream, but has seen trouble maintaining fps with avg. framrates at 110-120

^although if anyone has different knowledge on this feel free to comment

Whilst I have considered the Kabylake CPU, It may not have enough Cores/Threads to pull off Streaming and high performance gaming at the same time?

Coffelake has also been considered, whilst more expensive than ryzen, would it be a better choice/ suited for the purpose of this computer?

Lastly, Thank you for taking the time to read this thread

All recommendations are welcome!

- Scarisbrick

Associate
I really like the ryzen 7 for streaming, those extra threads really make a huge difference when it comes to keeping everything nice and stable.

But just to throw an extra spanner in the works, it may be worth building a gaming specific system, focusing on high single core performance to get a high sustained frame rate, then nab a capture card and use your current system to manage the stream.

Associate
Hey Overclockers Forum!
With the christmas holiday's coming up, I've decided to build a new gaming/streaming PC. For quite a few months I've been watching/ reading up on reviews on various hardware and asking my friends for advice on this build.
- Scarisbrick

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwrevie...vs-ryzen-streaming-gaming-overclocking/page-4

The 8700k very clearly gives you more performance in-games, but at the expense of some lost frames. Since you'll want to hit 144fps+ whilst you're streaming this seems like the better option.

But the 8700k costs £100 more and is widely out of stock.

Since you already have a solid PSU, you would need the below items:

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £1,504.06
(includes shipping: £11.10)

You would also likely need a better CPU cooler if you intend to overclock a lot, but I don't know if you will do that.

Have you also considered GPU encoding through Nvidia GeForce on the 1080ti? That would alleviate the CPU issues

I left out storage as I was confused if you intend to re-use your existing, or buy new.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom