• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Advice on Athlon XP-M, please?

Associate
i found quite a nice boost, and ig loved it :)

edit: sempy with dual channel (c and q on)

cpuz10le.png

Last edited:
Soldato
you'd have to show me some benchamrks then, because running dual channel @ 240mhz fsb on my nf7-s, there's very little difference between that and single channel in anything except sandra memory benchmark tests.

And from experiance, socket a loves memory speed, not nessesarily memory bandwidth.

Soldato
All i remember is that for gaming it was virtually <5% across the board. The cpu's themselfs had an upper ceiling of 3.2gb/sec from the northbridge anyway, which coincidently is the bandwidth of a singel stick of ddr400 (otherwise known as pc3200;))

the only beinifts dual channel really brought were in the efficiancy stakes. the best i ever got out of mine was about 95%. in other words, at 200mhz fsb with a thoretical max of 3.2gb (and that's in single channel mode) id get around 3gb/sec in sandra. That was as good as it got, which isnt great when dual channel @ 200mhz has a theoretical max of 6.4gb/sec:) but again, that's down to limits of the cpu, not the memory or motherboard.

memory%20d26%20240fsb.jpg

That was @ 241mhz, dual channel.

Last edited:
Soldato
I know that trying to see if there was any difference in performance from Single or Dual on the NF7S, I found at best about 5% improvements and even thats a bit exaggerated.

The thing is, that if you are wringing the PCs neck to get that extra bit out of it, then that extra 3-4% can make all the difference.

Associate
as i say, it made ig a lot faster :) - pi time went up a bit with dual channel aswell, gave a decent boost

problem with full implementaion on 939 is the single cores hardly use 3.2gb let alone 6.4gb (i am aware of the pc rating being the bandwidth ;)) the duals dont need the 6.4 either, i understand the move to ddr2 however, as quad cores a comin and that will need more bandwidth

Back
Top Bottom