Advice on brand new system

Associate
Hi everyone! I’m new to this forum as I’m looking to use OC for all my computing needs after reading a lot of good feedback online.

I’m looking for a strong gaming system (probably going to have to be prebuilt) to match up with a gsync 27” 1440p 144hz monitor (if I can afford it all). I’ve been doing a lot of research but to be honest I have very limited knowledge other than what you can find on google and forums. I don’t have a budge as such, but baring in mind that I’ll be buying a monitor (probably about £500), a mouse, keyboard, chair and gaming desktop, so I’d like to spend £1000-£1500, but as low as possible.

I will be hoping to make the most of 144hz on overwatch and csgo, however I will also be looking to play titles like fallout, farcry, battlefield, rust, possibly wow and a few more (I’m looking to ‘fall back’ onto the gsync with these games, if that’s how it works?) and I’m not obsessive with graphics as I would value the smoothness a lot more so I’d be happy to play all the above games at med to high rather than being stuck on ultra. Keeping in mind that I haven’t had a functioning pc for 3-4 years now and I’ve only been using my Xbox (so these pc graphics are going to be a huge upgrade anyway).

I appreciate any help so thanks a lot in advance.

Associate
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,351.39 (includes shipping: £12.60)​

Gone with a Ryzen 2700x build as its very close to 8700k performance at 1440p and its far better value, with a good motherboard 16GB 3200mhz RAM and a **FREE** 480Gb SSD - You just cant go wrong with this deal!
1070ti from Zotac, great card for 1440p 144hz but at a reasonable price, Zotac have also had some fantastic reviews for their RMA and customer support service.
Sesonic 550w PSU is a good reliable unit with a 10 year warranty! i have the 850w version but 550w will be enough for this build.
Extra 480GB SSD for a bit more space for all your games.
The case, its not the best i will admit and you could change this but at the price point its excellent value, plenty of space inside, PSU and SSD shroud to help hide excess cables, tempered glass side panel, USB 3 on the front I/O, dust filters and it includes 3 fans.
AIO water cooler for your CPU to keep it nice and cool, 240mm so you can mount it at the front or top, great brand thats reliable and one of the best performers.

And you still have about £150 for mouse keyboard and chair (I wont choose these as they are a bit more reliant on personal preference!)

Associate
OP
That’s looking like a really good setup, thanks for really helpful reply! That is really cheap and seems like great value. I was only really looking at Intel CPU’s after internet research but would this be a strong alternative? The only thing I noticed on that build is with the RAM, I think it says ‘up to 3200’ which I believe is the more expensive ram that increases the price of the bundle by £70 ish?

The previous package I was looking at myself was

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk...o2(-3bhGp2(-xbhGK2(:VbieM2$z.bjaF2_6@bkQb2@33

How would you say this compares? I thought this was the cheapest system I could make (with quality stuff) but yours is definitely an eye opener. Again as well, with the RAM it doesn’t actually specify speeds on the configuration which is quite annoying? Unless it’s just on my phone.

Edit: just because in your selections I noticed it doesn’t appear to include things like an OS. I don’t have anything unfortunately.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you are looking to shave some money off then you could go with a cheaper bundle. The one below has a 6 core/12 thread R5 2600 and a smaller 240GB SSD.
If you are purely gaming then the R5 2600 will do fine. The 8 core would help for things like twitch streaming and video editing etc.

Also drop the aftermarket cooler and just run with the stock one for the time being. You can always add a cooler later on.

So for example:

Total: £1,029.44 (includes shipping: £12.60)

Soldato
^^One thing I should have mentioned is that X370 doesn't support the R5 2600 out of the box (Needs an up to date bios) but OCUK should have done that if selling as a bundle. Might be worth asking though if you go with it. There is also a Gigabyte rep on the forum as well who can help if need be.

Associate
I was only really looking at Intel CPU’s after internet research but would this be a strong alternative? The only thing I noticed on that build is with the RAM, I think it says ‘up to 3200’ which I believe is the more expensive ram that increases the price of the bundle by £70 ish?
It would be around 10% slower for gaming than Intel's current fastest gaming CPU which is about £200 more expensive. In the bundle configuration the 3200mhz RAM is only £9 more than the 3000mhz RAM, i think you may have been looking at the price of the 8GB 3000mhz RAM.

The previous package I was looking at myself was

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk...o2(-3bhGp2(-xbhGK2:)VbieM2$z.bjaF2_6@bkQb2@33

How would you say this compares? I thought this was the cheapest system I could make (with quality stuff) but yours is definitely an eye opener. Again as well, with the RAM it doesn’t actually specify speeds on the configuration which is quite annoying? Unless it’s just on my phone.

CPU wise the Intel 8600k is a fantastic gaming CPU but is limited by only having 6 cores and 6 threads, the 2700x has 8 cores and 16 threads and the 2600 that lee32uk posted has 6 cores and 12 threads. Most games of the past were limited to only being able to using 1 or two cores so this didn't matter but developers are now starting to use more cores/threads for games.
You have also selected a 1080 in the prebuilt configuration which will obviously be faster than the 1070ti that we have suggested, upgrading the 1070ti to a 1080 in our specs will be about £100 extra.
The RAM on the machine you have configured is 3000mhz, must just be on your phone.

For a cheap copy of windows 10 google "cheap windows 10", i got my last copy for about £6

Associate
OP
If you are looking to shave some money off then you could go with a cheaper bundle. The one below has a 6 core/12 thread R5 2600 and a smaller 240GB SSD.
If you are purely gaming then the R5 2600 will do fine. The 8 core would help for things like twitch streaming and video editing etc.

Also drop the aftermarket cooler and just run with the stock one for the time being. You can always add a cooler later on.

So for example:

Total: £1,029.44 (includes shipping: £12.60)

Well to be honest I’m not sure how much I want/need to spend. I’m hoping to build a solid system that’ll last me a fair few years without requiring upgrades and I’d like my first upgrade to perhaps just be the gpu.

It would be around 10% slower for gaming than Intel's current fastest gaming CPU which is about £200 more expensive. In the bundle configuration the 3200mhz RAM is only £9 more than the 3000mhz RAM, i think you may have been looking at the price of the 8GB 3000mhz RAM.

CPU wise the Intel 8600k is a fantastic gaming CPU but is limited by only having 6 cores and 6 threads, the 2700x has 8 cores and 16 threads and the 2600 that lee32uk posted has 6 cores and 12 threads. Most games of the past were limited to only being able to using 1 or two cores so this didn't matter but developers are now starting to use more cores/threads for games.
You have also selected a 1080 in the prebuilt configuration which will obviously be faster than the 1070ti that we have suggested, upgrading the 1070ti to a 1080 in our specs will be about £100 extra.
The RAM on the machine you have configured is 3000mhz, must just be on your phone.

For a cheap copy of windows 10 google "cheap windows 10", i got my last copy for about £6

So you’d class the 2700x is a more future proof cpu even if the computer will be used exclusively for gaming?

That’s another area I’m not sure on. Is the 1440p and 144hz going to be achievable with a 1070ti?

It’s really annoying how bad the interface is on some websites but I only have a phone to use for the while, I’m actually working in Africa for another 2 weeks hence the limitation. I couldn’t find anything that seems entirely trustworthy with regards to cheap windows. To be honest I think I’d probably just purchase it from OC anyway.

One last thing - it’s really difficult to me to receive a large quantity of parcels as I live on a military base, as well as not have put together a pc myself before, which makes it difficult for me with these bundles and buying parts separately rather than a prebuilt system.

Soldato
ask ocuk to build for you , £50-80 on top. Freesync monitor out of stock but can find 27" 1440p 144hz freesync screens for £350 online . normally they are £200+ cheaper then G-Sync versions

CODE
Total: £1,526.12 (includes shipping: £15.30)​

if able to self build can take away cost of windows and build cost

Back
Top Bottom