Associate
Hi guys, after a friend of mine recommended this site to me as a great place to go for help with a PC build I have been reading lots of posts and doing research to try and figure out what the right kind of setup for me might be.

I have come up with the below, please could you give me any thoughts/feedback before I go ahead and order it!

The main purpose of the build for the moment is to play Borderlands 3 when it releases, however it will also be used for MOBA's, FPS's & AAA's; exclusively gaming and relaxing, no work will be done on this one!

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,113.04 (includes shipping: £11.10)​

As you can see I have not included a case, I am a little divided on them and I have come up with a few possibilities based on recommendations in other threads, and my own research and personal tastes.

However, if anyone would be able to provide an argument for one over the others based on performance metrics that would be super helpful :)

(Also please let me know if I've picked one that the build won't fit in haha)

Total: £313.46 (includes shipping: £33.54)​

And FINALLY, I also need a monitor for this bad boy to run on, and have absolutely no idea what to do on this front. With the above currently coming to £1200~ish, I'm imagining perhaps a total budget of £1500-1600 to get a really good screen? I'd prefer an IPS low refresh one (seems to be the holy grail of screens from what I've read) however I am more than happy to consider any screen really! I'm also willing to up the budget if there is a particularly awesome screen just outside it, however I think £1750 would be the absolute stretch here (I would very much prefer to keep it lower though if possible, but also don't want to waste money on an inferior product just to hit a certain random number).

From what I can gather this setup is more of a 1440p one, however (and please correct me if I'm wrong here) I believe it is possible to buy a 4k screen and downscale to lower resolutions? Would this be at all recommended for future-proofing or am I just better off going for 1440p and then selling it on to upgrade later?

Sorry for the huge post, and thank you very much for reading this and helping a noob out!

Soldato
@MrLemontimes

Total: £449.89 (includes shipping: £9.90)

3 yr UK warranty vs two of the Red Devil / outside UK RMA. Also have rep support on here via @GIGA-Man, which has been a god send for some

also cheaper!

stick to 3000/3200hz with B450. they can do it with tweaking but 2 factors play a key part in high RAM speeds. Motherboard PCB layers- B450 are budget boards and have 4 layers - flagship X470/570 have 8 layers . ITX boards also have 8 layers and the reason why they are used to break records!

save cash, 3000hz

Total: £1,125.19 (includes shipping: £12.30)

slightly more power for £££

ODE
Total: £1,234.19 (includes shipping: £12.30)

guessing you'll need a screen in your budget ?

freesync and freesync that allows g-syn to be enabled

Total: £730.90 (includes shipping: £0.00)​

Last edited:
Soldato
As much as I think the R5 3600 is a great CPU, and the cooler include is fine, I would strongly suggest optioning in an aftermarket solution for £15-30 to get the noise down when it gets hot, the rest of that system will be pretty much silent, you don't want the fan on the CPU ruining it for you.

Soldato
Soldato
^^^^

nice coolers for low price and good performance to noise

Total: £64.68 (includes shipping: £8.70)

@Journey ... i've heard Crucial P1 is a good nvme..... ? :D what was the other one ? of course with out mentioning any finer details to avoid the police coming after me ...

I really like the M9, but the 92mm fans just seem a bit of a let down. Brocken seems like a better choice even if it is fugly.

P1 is fine for what it is, and was great at sub 90GBP, but Sabrent Rocket is where its at now for value/speed suing the Phsion PS5012-E12 controller (same as Corsair MP510 and a few others) but also uses 96-Layer Toshiba TLC NAND chips.

Soldato
I really like the M9, but the 92mm fans just seem a bit of a let down. Brocken seems like a better choice even if it is fugly.

P1 is fine for what it is, and was great at sub 90GBP, but Sabrent Rocket is where its at now for value/speed suing the Phsion PS5012-E12 controller (same as Corsair MP510 and a few others) but also uses 96-Layer Toshiba TLC NAND chips.

shame they just didnt powder coat it black like some of the others they do =/

hopefully OP bits

Associate
OP
Hi guys, thank you all for your replies - I've been away staying in a forest hence the delayed follow up!

@orbitalwalsh thank you for the RAM explanation I'll definitely go for the one you suggested instead, however I also noticed that you included a case which I hadn't mentioned:

Total: £81.05 (includes shipping: £11.10)​

Are you recommending it over the 4 I asked about?

And as for the monitor, I like the look of the Asus you linked:

Total: £390.95 (includes shipping: £0.00)​

However, I've also come across this one which is currently on pre-order and seems to be getting a lot of positive talk everywhere:

Total: £481.09 (includes shipping: £11.10)​

Would you think it worth waiting for it instead? I have access to an old 1080p one in the meantime if needed.

And as for the GPU's, thank you for the info about the warranties that's not something I would have thought to consider before! From what I have researched it appears as though the 5700 xt is close to the 2070 Super in terms of frames but obviously lacks the RTX cores; would I be paying £100 more for a few FPS and Ray Tracing or would the 2070 Super be more likely to last me longer before needing to upgrade in the future?

@Journey thank you for the cooler suggestion, I'll definitely include one! With regards to the Sabrent Rocket, am I to gather that it's a better MP510? I don't really understand the controller/NAND chips bit sorry.

@lee32uk thank you for the cooler suggestion too, I'm going to have a look into them all and see which I like the look of best!

Back
Top Bottom