Advice on repairing/replacing felt roof

Associate
Morning everyone.

We have noticed on the corner of our extension that the felt has started to crack and separate. Obviously worried that this will eventually lead to water ingress we called a local roofer to come and look at it who is advising we get the whole roof felt replaced. This is only a small roof, about 4m x 4m do not huge. I asked about a localised ‘repair’ for the corner but he said it would only be a temporary solution and the problem will eventually return unless completely replaced - based on the pictures, would this be a accurate means of rectification...replacing the whole roof?
Thanks for your time.
Ben
ZlRZW9Z.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
It would make sense. It’s obviously seen better days and will probably start to break apart in other areas. If you patch it that’s there’s always opportunity for leaks at the joins. I’d have the felt removed and replaced with a rubber roof solution.

Associate
OP
It would make sense. It’s obviously seen better days and will probably start to break apart in other areas. If you patch it that’s there’s always opportunity for leaks at the joins. I’d have the felt removed and replaced with a rubber roof solution.

I see, thanks for your input.
I was worried that the builder suggesting a full replacement was a bit over the top but this is our first house we recently just moved into and don’t have any prior experience as to what would be ‘the norm’ with this kind of thing!

Associate
OP
Any idea of the age of the roof? Seems sensible what he's told you, as the crack is starting to run along the roofline there.
The extension is about five years old and the rest of the roof, certainly in the corners and from looking out the bedroom window above, everything seems fine. Just seems to be localised and that individual corner.
I’ve read that roofs like this generally lost around 10 years also, so I am surprised it started to deteriorate so quick.
That could just be a loose joint or potentially workmanship

Tea Drinker
Don
A repair is the cheapest and may last a few years but if one corner is that way the rest won’t be far behind.

Folded felt cracks that corner would be pretty susceptible and the first place to go.

Associate
OP
A repair is the cheapest and may last a few years but if one corner is that way the rest won’t be far behind.

Folded felt cracks that corner would be pretty susceptible and the first place to go.

Well I do feel a bit better now in regards to his recommendation of replacing the whole thing. Reflecting on it now after hearing your reply makes me think it’s probably the best solution to future proof myself and not have to worry about it in the future, once its done and done properly it’s something I don’t have to revisit for about 10 years.
Thanks for your advice everyone

Back
Top Bottom