Advice on Sky Broadband > Court Order...

Soldato
OP
I'm a bit confused here, are BT / SKY /Be / O2 etc paying these solicitors to do this?

from what i can gather no. apparently its some swedish company or duthch (or both) that are phishing for ip addresses. then they send the lists of ip addresses to acs law, in which they find the isp from each ip number and ask for the isp to release the details of the customer.

we cancelled the sky broadband instantly after hearing sky just released all of my mothers information such as her full name, address, email address etc..

not once did sky bother to contact her about this :mad:

Soldato
OP
That is pretty bad :(, I was just about to change ISP to plusnet, but after seeing their name on the list I'm having second thoughts.

thats a smart move ;)

they are not interested if you are guilty or not, they just go through a massive list of harvested ip addresses and send the letters out.

what makes me laugh is every letter people are getting from acs law says that they have been caught downloading evacuate the dancefloor. Its like they are sending a template letter out, but incuding whatever else they want to include.

there are some funny youtube videos on this acs law, judges etc not wanting to get involved with them and such.

Soldato
I really hate these scams, praying on innocent peoples fears :mad:, I'll check out those vids later.

My girlfriend got caught up in a free marketing scam at her work (a not-for-profit organisation) , I think they actually paid them something in the end as well as they were worried it would cost them more later if they went to court and they just couldn't afford the risk:( Sadly I think this just encourages people to do it more. At least with the internet now you can quickly see other people are being scammed as well and do something about it.

Hope this gets sorted for you, looks like you've done the right thing, by the sound of it those acs guys are a joke so I'm sure it will be alright.

Soldato
OP
thanks mate. you wouldn't believe the amount of things i have read about them, and the fact that around 40-60% of people are paying out of fear just goes to show how effective these scams can be.

and just like your girlfriends scam, doesnt matter where you are or what you are doing, there are people and organizations persistent enough out there to try it on.

no one likes the idea of going to court which is why most pay without fuss, well i say bring it on. lets see how far they are actually willing to go before they back down!

Associate
I have 2 friends that recieved letters from ACS law, and they both came with just a stamp on the envelope, so as far as we were concerned we never recieved them, so binned them. That was in like feb/march, and never heard anything since. Don't worry, and tbh, don't even respond, just ignore. They can't prove you even got the letter let alone that you downloaded anything.

Associate
I have 2 friends that recieved letters from ACS law, and they both came with just a stamp on the envelope, so as far as we were concerned we never recieved them, so binned them.

HAHA! I like it.

are there not laws protecting your personal details? If you ask how ACS got your details are they obliged to tell you? Im assuming the only legit way of getting your details is by asking an ip provider otherwise ACS (f they are a legit company) has no ground to claim any money as they received their info through illegal methods, corect?

it would be very interesting to find out if your IP providers are giving out your details, I would hit the roof!!

Last edited:
Soldato
I have 2 friends that recieved letters from ACS law, and they both came with just a stamp on the envelope, so as far as we were concerned we never recieved them, so binned them. That was in like feb/march, and never heard anything since. Don't worry, and tbh, don't even respond, just ignore. They can't prove you even got the letter let alone that you downloaded anything.

+1 sounds like good advice to me.

Associate

Some "Human Rights" violations going on here! It's not just the building of house where one pleases that violates them "Rights" Ordinary bogstandard tax payin members of the public can use them rights too

Associate
It's been going on for a few years, used to be a company called Davenport Lyons, they sent out letters about a band called Scooter and one of their songs.

ACS Law took over after the other lot dropped it due to bad publicity, ACS Law claim they have won in court, but what they don't say is that the only two cases they won were by default as the other party never turned up.

Just a suggestion, if you do accidentally click on a torrent file, may a recommend peerblock, might as well make it as hard as possible for them :)

Oh yeah, and all the music\software they claim people downloaded flopped and made hardly any money, read into that what you want.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Are these letter only being sent to certain ISP customers?

Virgin Media seem to not give a damn what you download as long as it's within the non FUP controlled hours (9PM to 10am) which is fine by me :)

Associate
What's amusing is with their move into the us (they're the ones behind the massive hurt locker suit) people are starting to ask questions about civil libertys and the legality of what they're doing. I wonder how far they can push it.

Anyway, Hollywood stopped suing people years ago when they realised chasing the torrent sits would be more efficient (if just as pointless). What ACS has done is go to small, independent companies and spun a "piracy pays" story. $2500 per letter, blanket one million people. Of their first 20k, if half ignore it, and another quarter fights they expect roughly 1/4 to just pay. 5K * 2500 - 12.5 million. In other words they've spun it so that films which didn't do well at cinema will make more money in this scam than it did at the box office.

ACS Law only takes 70%.

http://torrentfreak.com/hundreds-more-bittorrent-lawsuits-in-the-making-100612/ (I suspect slightly bias, but the facts at least are good.)

Soldato
I don't think I've ever seen a thread with so much bad legal advice in it...I'd ignore what everyone here as said (some of which shows a complete misunderstanding of civil law) and ignore those websites, which in many cases aren't much better. You're actually all right in this case, but in another situation you could get completely screwed listening to the advice of some people here.

You're absolutely right in what you say - ignoring legal proformas can end up with you getting a CCJ against you and then your credit rating troubles are only just begining. I read one poster talking about the CPS - the High Court is a Civil Division of HMCS not the Crown Court. I would seek the advice from my solicitor before binning any such documentation. If an action goes undefended then Judgment (note the spelling, we're not in America) can under certain circumstances be entered against you.

Back
Top Bottom