Advice on touching up a photo :)

Associate
Righty - got this photo, and the glare is pretty obvious. No problem, I thought, just a bit of cloning and it'll be gone... But all my attempts have been, well, messy at best.

So any advice on cloning technique, or other methods to remove the white glare from the middle of this shot?

norweiganchurch.jpg

Soldato
Do you mean the slight whitish glare around the top of the building?
or that the whites are a bit bright?

I dont see much of any glare.

Soldato
well i dont know if this is what you want

newchurch.jpg

basically because the chruch was so square, i got the polygon cutter and drew round the church then just painted the sky a dark black. Then a 5% burn on the highlights to draw out the lines in the wood a little.
Dont always have to do things so complicated

Not a massive amount of difference.

Soldato
Try using the Burn Tool.
Range - Midtones
Exposure - 75%

Click and hold the burn tool on the white glare and then move it around. Do not move the pointer over the spire, window or roof edging on the left as it will darken these areas slightly too.

Soldato
hoodmeister said:
aha! That's not quite how I wanted it, but you've just given me an idea...
Be back in a minute :D

well i tried :D have to be a little more specific :) i would help again btu im going to watch the rugby :D

Associate
OP
Many thanks chaps. I used the polygon tool to select the sky, feathered the selection, then dropped a suitable curve on it.
I then used the dodge // burn tools to touch up the edges :)

This isn't actually the same picture - almost identical, but the exposure was slightly longer, you can't see the blur (only very slight) of the guy in the bottom right of the frame :)

Back
Top Bottom