Advice - Plastering/Electric Cables

Associate
Hi,

I'm after some ideas and thoughts on something I discovered today whilst prepping a wall.

What I discovered is that where I thought the plaster had blown it turned out to be where the cables are running up from the fuse board to the upstairs of the house: -

BQ4UU3i.jpg

LQ1X6Rn.jpg

NLXSFqe.jpg

f2a9noq.jpg

As you can see there was only millimeters of plaster covering them, less than that consider the photo showing one of them at the top of the wall already visible through the plaster.

So, my question is what on earth can I do to make this good so it can be re-skimmed?, which the rest of the room is having and more in places.

I thought I might be able to run plaster tape over the area? Would this work long term?

I certainly don't want to try and chase them in to the brick behind, which you'd have thought would have been done originally, but if that's what's needed then I'll have to look at doing so. :rolleyes:

Associate
Hi,

I'm after some ideas and thoughts on something I discovered today whilst prepping a wall.

What I discovered is that where I thought the plaster had blown it turned out to be where the cables are running up from the fuse board to the upstairs of the house: -

BQ4UU3i.jpg

LQ1X6Rn.jpg

NLXSFqe.jpg

f2a9noq.jpg

As you can see there was only millimeters of plaster covering them, less than that consider the photo showing one of them at the top of the wall already visible through the plaster.

So, my question is what on earth can I do to make this good so it can be re-skimmed?, which the rest of the room is having and more in places.

I thought I might be able to run plaster tape over the area? Would this work long term?

I certainly don't want to try and chase them in to the brick behind, which you'd have thought would have been done originally, but if that's what's needed then I'll have to look at doing so. :rolleyes:
im guessing they are hard pressed against the brick wall behind? and it also doesnt look like you have much to play with coming forward either???

im in a council house but had a similair problem and when i contacted the council rather chase the cables into the wall they actually re routed the cables, admittedly it was nowhere near what you would be looking at if you attempted that

so yeah if i was you and you have the time i would run some plaster tape over the area and skim it and once set inspect it and decide from there before you take the more drastic route

Associate
OP
Yeah, from what I can tell with not having taken any more off, they're against the brick.

I will remove more on either side to see exactly what's what. I agree with you, try the tape route and see how it looks once finished and if needed re-think and work it if required.

Associate
Yeah, from what I can tell with not having taken any more off, they're against the brick.

I will remove more on either side to see exactly what's what. I agree with you, try the tape route and see how it looks once finished and if needed re-think and work it if required.
i have a feeling that as mickyflinn mentioned pva glue etc will do the trick. well i hope it does save you all the extra grief that goes with it

Back
Top Bottom