Advice required for a trip to Germany

Associate
[TW]Fox said:
You mean YOU had no problems, it isnt for you, its to stop you blinding everyone else!
How come you suddenly start blinding people on the continent when you didnt when you were in the uk?

Is the headlight adjuster mentioned here the same as an in car one where you alter the agle of the headlights yourself? I would have thought all BMW's came with them?

Associate
Trickle said:
How come you suddenly start blinding people on the continent when you didnt when you were in the uk?

Is the headlight adjuster mentioned here the same as an in car one where you alter the agle of the headlights yourself? I would have thought all BMW's came with them?

Are you for real?

Soldato
Headlight beams have a "kick up" on them - on UK cars this kick is on the left side of the projected beam - illuminating the hedgerow to your left. You can very easily see this if you park in front of a wall! This is why headlights appear brighter when you've got a car on the outside of you on a motorway than when they're behind you.

When you drive on the continent, you're driving on the other side of the road, so the kick up is still on the left - directly at oncoming traffic, making it appear like you've got full beams on, and is very distracting.

Hence you have the little sticky things that go on the lights, which adjust the beam pattern, and remove this "kick" which is there by default.

Associate
Baron G said:
Are you for real?

So how many people do you think who drive would automatically know that their headlights dont just display directly forwards, but (according to above post) have a tendency to one way or the other?

I've seen a lot of "what do I need in France?" type posts, but have not seen this mentioned, hence my question.

Soldato
Trickle said:
So how many people do you think who drive would automatically know that their headlights dont just display directly forwards, but (according to above post) have a tendency to one way or the other?

To be fair its on the theory test, so in a perfect world every driver should be aware of it.

Plus if you look at your headlight pattern when your driving along in the dark, it couldnt be more obvious.

Man of Honour
Trickle said:

Becuase your headlight beam is setup to be angled so that it doesn't blind oncoming traffic - when you drive on the continent, oncoming traffic is the other side and thus will be affected by your UK spec headlights.

No, this is simply for balancing the beam if you are towing or have fat people in the back. Not all cars will have adjustment for the angle of the beam for driving on the continent.

Soldato
Jez said:
GB stickers worth bothering with? Might just selotape one inside my rear window or something, dont fancy having to try to get the thing off afterwards

Get a Halford's magnetic one. If you have the EU plates already - you won't need one.

Soldato
Jez said:
Will they actually refuse me entry to france if i dont have headlamp things and GB stickers etc?

I ask as i am going very soon, and i havent got any of them. Wasnt gonna bother but i dont want to risk them stopping me or something.
no not really
gb_ae02rya.jpg

if you have a plate like the above, they are also legal.

Associate
To answer you question Jez, we took two cars from here to Spain for 3 weeks, all we had fitted were GB badges. We did have headlight reflectors etc but didn't use them.

We were stopped by the Police twice, told off for speeding but no mention of the headlights. One of the pulls was in the night too.

I think you can get away with it, but you might aswell carry them because they cost naff all :rolleyes:

There are some on the spot fines for somethings though, I think yellow jacket is one of them? (40 euros?) You see all the Frenchies with them on the parcel shelf..

Soldato
Firestar_3x said:
Don't think yellow jackets are needed in france i think its just germany.

This is correct I think - never heard of needing a hi-vis jacket for driving in France. All I take is First aid kit, spare bulb kit, headlamp deflectors, GB Sticker (although not since I got a car with the EU plates). I also have a triangle, but don't believe this is a requirement.

Soldato
France

Listed below are two areas for you to look through before you travel

* Items you are required to carry
* Recommended and useful products

What you need before setting off

* A valid UK Driving Licence is required
* A driver's minimum age is 18
* A Camping Card International is recommended
* A Green Card and Motor Insurance certificate is recommended. Motorists should carry evidence of motor insurance (insurance certificate). A Green Card provides additional proof that the minimum legal third party cover is held. For further advice please contact your insurance company
* UK registered vehicles displaying Euro-plates (circle of 12 stars above the national identifier on blue background) are no longer obliged to affix a GB sticker to the rear of the vehicle when driving in France. A GB sign is still required when travelling outside the European Union
* A crash helmet when riding a motorcycle is compulsory
* Wearing your seat belt is compulsory
* Motorway tolls charged
* Petrol, diesel & LPG available. Lead replacement petrol (LRP) is available and is indiciated on pumps as "supercarburant"
* Children under 10 are forbidden to travel in the front seat

Compulsory products

* Headlamp converters

Recommended products

* Spare bulbs
* A fire extinguisher
* A first aid kit
* A warning triangle

Germany

Listed below are two areas for you to look through before you travel

* Items you are required to carry
* Recommended and useful products

What you need before setting off

* A valid UK Driving Licence is required
* A driver's minimum age is 17
* A Camping Card International is recommended
* A Green Card and Motor Insurance certificate is recommended. Motorists should carry evidence of motor insurance (insurance certificate). A Green Card provides additional proof that the minimum legal third party cover is held. For further advice please contact your insurance company
* UK registered vehicles displaying Euro-plates (circle of 12 stars above the national identifier on blue background) are no longer obliged to affix a GB sticker to the rear of the vehicle when driving in Germany. A GB sign is still required when travelling outside the European Union
* A crash helmet when riding a motorcycle is compulsory
* No motorway charges
* Petrol, diesel and LPG are available. Leaded petrol no longer available in Germany. A lead substitute additive can be purchased for vehicles requiring leaded petrol and added to the fuel tank
* Children under 12 or less than 1.50m in height are forbidden to travel in the front seat without a child restraint in Germany

Compulsory products

* A warning triangle
* Headlamp converters

Recommended products

* Spare bulbs
* A fire extinguisher
* A first aid kit

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
My plates are plain interleasing ones, i dont think i can be arsed with headlight things though. Thanks for the replies to my questions :)

Soldato
Fairly comprehensive list from Nazbit but be aware that the green card doesn't exist anymore and you're required to take the V5 (or equivalent) to prove ownership of the car if needed.

Back
Top Bottom