Advice required for Flightsim PC Desktop

Associate
Hi
I have £2k to spend and I am looking for a bit of advice regards selection of a PC Desktop (midi) system for use with Flightsim - Prepar3D v4.2 (64 bit)
Preferred options.
Intel i5 or i7 (overclocked/water cooled if necessary.)
Motherboard to suit above (if overclocked)
Nvidia GTX 1080ti Graphics card
16GB memory.
'Normal' midi case (practical rather than 'flashy' lights etc.)
500GB SSHD
2 or 3TB HDD
Windows 10 Home
Obviously looking for the best 'Bang for Bucks'
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Many thanks
Al

Associate
Hi
I have £2k to spend and I am looking for a bit of advice regards selection of a PC Desktop (midi) system for use with Flightsim - Prepar3D v4.2 (64 bit)
Preferred options.
Intel i5 or i7 (overclocked/water cooled if necessary.)
Motherboard to suit above (if overclocked)
Nvidia GTX 1080ti Graphics card
16GB memory.
'Normal' midi case (practical rather than 'flashy' lights etc.)
500GB SSHD
2 or 3TB HDD
Windows 10 Home
Obviously looking for the best 'Bang for Bucks'
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Many thanks
Al
Which monitor/monitors would you be pairing with the PC?

Associate
What control interface are you going to be using - you don't have a mouse or keyboard listed.

Are there any Flightsim-specific controllers you already have?

Associate
OP
Hi
This is basically an replacement to an existing Flightsim setup. (Prepar3D v4.20)

I already have A 4k monitor/keyboard/mouse/Saitek yoke/throttle/rudder pedals etc. etc.

Certainly a 'quiet' case would be preferable to a glass panel.

Thanks again for your input(s)

Al

Associate
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,932.20 (includes shipping: £15.30)

In that game, and at 4K, you're very much GPU-limited. Therefore the 1080ti would be the best option here (it's the fastest card you can widely buy). But, many are speculating that Nvidia is about to release their next-gen within 1-2 months. If you waited, a GTX 1180 would provide better system longevity and should outperform the GTX 1080ti at 4k.

The rest of the spec is focused on low temps and silence; quiet GPU, silenced case, quiet CPU cooler.

For the case, remove the un-needed drive-cages at the front for improved airflow.

For CPUs - The 8700k could an option if you wanted greater system longevity, but that would put you over budget, and the current difference between 8600k @ 5ghz and 8700k @ 5ghz is very minimal (basically 0 at 4k).

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hi
My current GPU is a Nvidia GTX 1060 6Gb.

As an interim measure could I use this graphics card with the above M/B, awaiting on the availability of the GTX 1180 or the GTX 1080ti coming down to a 'sensible' price?

The GTX 1060 does run the 4K monitor, albeit not with the graphics settings 'maxed out'.

Thanks

Al

Back
Top Bottom