Advice selling laptop (eBay)

Associate
OP
I'd never chance that value on eBay. Used to only sell low value to a max of about £60 ish but now I only ever sell on Gumtree and local Facebook selling groups with cash on collection or cash on delivery for the right people without transport.

Gone are the good old days when you could list stuff for sale on eBay without offering PayPal and only accept bank deposit and cheques etc. Everything moved at a slower pace but everyone was happy. Now it's the "got to have it now or asap" generation.

Thanks will try and find out about a Facebook selling group.

Caporegime
Given you’ve been a member here since 2007, do you know any other members with MM access who could perhaps sell it on your behalf?

I ask this as personally I wouldn’t want to chance such a transaction on the cesspit that is ebay whereas the MM is - in my experience - a safe and secure place to sell such an item...

Not sure if such an arrangement is allowed in the MM but, if you had a friend with access willing to help, perhaps conversing with an MM moderator first would be apt.

Just a thought. :)

Associate
OP
Given you’ve been a member here since 2007, do you know any other members with MM access who could perhaps sell it on your behalf?

I ask this as personally I wouldn’t want to chance such a transaction on the cesspit that is ebay whereas the MM is - in my experience - a safe and secure place to sell such an item...

Not sure if such an arrangement is allowed in the MM but, if you had a friend with access willing to help, perhaps conversing with an MM moderator first would be apt.

Just a thought. :)

I know been on here 10 yrs, unfortunately don't know anyone or qualifi my self :(

Soldato
I know been on here 10 yrs, unfortunately don't know anyone or qualifi my self :(

Selling on behalf of someone is allowed but obviously the seller becomes accountable.

Also, this is how it will go on MM:

Day 1. Post item for £1100

Day 2. Have reply from buyers assuring you that they will take it for £300, as a similar power second hand desktop could be put together for less. Also that they do not need it and really are doing you a favour by taking it off your hands.

Day 3. Refusal of offer and lower the price to £1000. Counter offers of £400 accompanied with statements that attack the worth of your item. Further assurances that not only do they not need the item, they practically don't want it!

Day 4. refusal of counter offer. Buyers say that they will offer no more than £405, they have a family to feed and anymore will cause little Timmy to starve, something that he cannot justify as a dissimilar product was bought on gumtree for near the same price. This is teh final offer they tell you!

Day 16. Buyers reply asking you if it is still available. Your moral has been worn down and you are a broken man. You get a second final offer of £407.50 not including postage, something they want insured and on 24 hour. You can't abide by this as it costs a bomb. They say 'no problem, i can wait on 48 hour deliver'

Day 20. Buyer lists laptop on ebay and sells for 900.

Day 22. Buyer opens up a dispute with paypal :p

Soldato
Gumtree op. Cash on collection. Wouldn’t trust eBay for a 1k laptop. Although I did sell a laptop on there last year for £300 but that was to a buyer who had around 500 positive feedbacks. It’s just luck of the draw I guess

Associate
Selling on behalf of someone is allowed but obviously the seller becomes accountable.

Also, this is how it will go on MM:

Day 1. Post item for £1100

Day 2. Have reply from buyers assuring you that they will take it for £300, as a similar power second hand desktop could be put together for less. Also that they do not need it and really are doing you a favour by taking it off your hands.

Day 3. Refusal of offer and lower the price to £1000. Counter offers of £400 accompanied with statements that attack the worth of your item. Further assurances that not only do they not need the item, they practically don't want it!

Day 4. refusal of counter offer. Buyers say that they will offer no more than £405, they have a family to feed and anymore will cause little Timmy to starve, something that he cannot justify as a dissimilar product was bought on gumtree for near the same price. This is teh final offer they tell you!

Day 16. Buyers reply asking you if it is still available. Your moral has been worn down and you are a broken man. You get a second final offer of £407.50 not including postage, something they want insured and on 24 hour. You can't abide by this as it costs a bomb. They say 'no problem, i can wait on 48 hour deliver'

Day 20. Buyer lists laptop on ebay and sells for 900.

Day 22. Buyer opens up a dispute with paypal :p

lol :D

Associate
Whatever you do, don’t take PayPal for a collected item!

Cash on collection, or Paypal and post it!

Also make sure you have serial numbers, date stamped photos of condition, proof that you packaged it well, etc.

This. Do not take payment by PayPal if the buyer is collecting. He could do a chargeback quicker than you can close the door when he leaves.

Back
Top Bottom