Advice Wanted On Primary & Secondary Drives

Soldato
Hello all,

I am taking a break from looking for GPUs that don't exist and turning my attention to storage drives. Hopefully there's a deal to be had over the weekend.

I want two drives - one as the boot drive and install drive for my CAD programs. The second can be for storage, CAD files and games like Factorio (maybe even Transport Tycoon & Theme Hospital).

I am pretty certain I'm happy with 500GB for the primary drive and 1TB for secondary. I have a home server and a decent limit on my cloud server.

Originally I was going to go all-out on Samsung 970 EVO drives but now I'm being sensible and trying to find reliably, fast drives for reasonable prices. Can anyone recommend cost-effective SSDs please?

Also, my PC is based on an MSI X570 Tomahawk WiFi, seated in a Fractal Meshify C. Any recommendations on whether I have two M.2 drives or one and a SATA? I'm a right storage noob.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for that Grimley I appreciate it. I've been monitoring possible deals and noticed the WD Black 1TB for just over £100.

With the X570 Tomahawk, do I need the heatsink versions of the SSDs?

Soldato
OP
So, after some research I have pretty much decided (although I am happy for someone with SSD wisdom to advise otherwise) on these:

Primary/Boot Drive: Corsair MP600 500GB (PCIe 4.0)
Secondary/Storage Drive: PNY CS2130 1TB (PCIe 3.0)

Hopefully the heat spreader on the MP600 won't be an issue as it looks pretty big. It's my first build so if that was a silly comment, my apologies.

Back
Top Bottom