Advice with damage to my car?

Associate
Hi,

I'm looking for advice about a repair to have done to my car which was damaged while I was working and looking for opinions on how much it should cost and for what work.

Please feel free to give me your opinion. Do I need a whole bumper respray or just where the damage is? How much could I be looking at? It's a pearlescent three stage paint as well.

UK. Does the link work for the image?

Caporegime
That looks mostly like paint has transferred to your car. I’d see what it looks like after a good polish and go from there. I’d not be surprised if most of that completely disappeared after polishing.

Soldato
That looks mostly like paint has transferred to your car. I’d see what it looks like after a good polish and go from there. I’d not be surprised if most of that completely disappeared after polishing.

Agreed, although I can see what looks like a big black scratch down to the plastic. I could be wrong however!

Associate
OP
All of the paint transfer will come off but there is bits which is most of it which have gouged the plastic out.

Agreed, although I can see what looks like a big black scratch down to the plastic. I could be wrong however!
You're correct most of what you see has a load of damage under the paint transfer. But where the reflector is and that stretch bit are really bad. How much would you think is reasonable to get it sorted?

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
OP
Why haven’t you made a claim on your insurance?
Because I hadn't cause the damage and wanna get it sorted myself

Probably isn't worth it.
Exactly I dont know how much this should be costing me?

I had smaller bt similar damage a few years ago when the works fire engine managed to clip my car.
Paint down to plastic removed.
Cost me (well the company) £150 via chips away
Basically its needs bit filling sanding and painting and lacquered but problem is it's a three stage pearlescent paint and dont know who to have it done at and for what price is reasonable?

Last edited by a moderator:
Basically its needs bit filling sanding and painting and lacquered but problem is it's a three stage pearlescent paint and dont know who to have it done at and for what price is reasonable?

Well mine was metallic. It matched perfectly.
I would never have pearl again personally because of the situation you face.

I would clean up to start.

When i did mine it was all over phone and pictures. I filled in the webform to start the process, guy rang me, asked for description (size, damage etc) asked for some specific photos.
Came back with quote and asked if I was happy for the car to be taken away for the day to their workshop, which I agreed to and that was it. Returned later that day, looked perfect.

Mine was minor filling as well.

Associate
OP
Well mine was metallic. It matched perfectly.
I would never have pearl again personally because of the situation you face.

I would clean up to start.

When i did mine it was all over phone and pictures. I filled in the webform to start the process, guy rang me, asked for description (size, damage etc) asked for some specific photos.
Came back with quote and asked if I was happy for the car to be taken away for the day to their workshop, which I agreed to and that was it. Returned later that day, looked perfect.

Mine was minor filling as well.
I have different quotes one at £582 and one at 360 but wanna know its gonna be done right? Of which I have no guarantee regardless. What would be the best way of cleaning the paint up?

I have different quotes one at £582 and one at 360 but wanna know its gonna be done right? Of which I have no guarantee regardless. What would be the best way of cleaning the paint up?

Sounds like a "normal" repair your getting quoted for there. I personally would always look at smart type first. The less they mess with the less that has the opportunity to go wrong!

As ever, start with the lowest impact thing and work up.
So first a good clean, then some polish, the maybe some Tcut (for clear coat) see what you have left then.

Associate
OP
Sounds like a "normal" repair your getting quoted for there. I personally would always look at smart type first. The less they mess with the less that has the opportunity to go wrong!

As ever, start with the lowest impact thing and work up.
So first a good clean, then some polish, the maybe some Tcut (for clear coat) see what you have left then.
What is smart repair exactly? I dont have a clue?

Regarding chipsaway in my local area I sent him basically this photo and was told I'm looking at £450+ VAT.

What damage did you have done to your car exactly? Do you have any from before and after at all?

Similar to yours, but probably half teh size, it was clipped by a 15 ton fire engine!
The whole car moved and everyone went oooo and looked at me as we were on a fire alert (which proved to be false)
Mine was a metalic though, its possible your pearl is the issue

I dont think i still have the photos, was on my old phone sorry

Associate
OP
Similar to yours, but probably half teh size, it was clipped by a 15 ton fire engine!
The whole car moved and everyone went oooo and looked at me as we were on a fire alert (which proved to be false)
Mine was a metalic though, its possible your pearl is the issue

I dont think i still have the photos, was on my old phone sorry
Yeah I've been told because of the damage and colour and the bumper having to come off its nearly £600. Lifes a bitch I guess.

Yeah I've been told because of the damage and colour and the bumper having to come off its nearly £600. Lifes a bitch I guess.

I am guessing then that its not getting a smart repair. The point of smart is it all stays in situ and only the actual damage is fixed.

Its quite possible they are just not confident enough in being able to do a decent match on the pearl without a full respary.

Back
Top Bottom