Advise on building an built-in Desk PC

Associate
Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum and was hoping if anyone here can give me some advise/suggestions on how to start to build a built-in desk PC.

This is my current Rig:

CPU: Intel-Core i5-4670k 3.4Ghz
CPU Cooler - Noctua - NH-D14
Motherboard - Gigabyte - GA-Z87X-UD4H ATX LGA1150
Memory - Corsair - 8GB X2 (Total 16GB) DDR3-1600
Storage - Not Important (2x SSD)
Video Card - GeForce GTX 1080
Power - Fractal Design Newton R3 800W

Issues I'm facing is where to find or purchase a motherboard holder? I can't simply screw the motherboard into wood as it would require a certain height for air flow.

Does anyone know a website or place in the UK where to purchase these parts?

Thanks,
Seb

Soldato
Issues I'm facing is where to find or purchase a motherboard holder? I can't simply screw the motherboard into wood as it would require a certain height for air flow

Why not? I believe PC screws to be M3 machine thread, although double check with calipers. Drill through the wood from the underside and use a long enough machine screw in combination with hex standoffs IMO

Associate
OP
Why not? I believe PC screws to be M3 machine thread, although double check with calipers. Drill through the wood from the underside and use a long enough machine screw in combination with hex standoffs IMO

Wouldn't this potentially cause a fire to happen due to heat generated by the Motherboard? I just don't want to damage anything due to noobish mistakes which could have been avoided. I read online that it's recommended to use a motherboard mount?

Man of Honour
You could do what I am doing and take a old case to pieces and use it as parts. I am also building my pc into my desk and took a old Antec case apart and am using the motherboard tray and I/O PCI slots as a base. I wouldn't bolt the motherboard straight to a wooden base as I want some airflow under it as the areas around the cpu socket, chipset and VRM's can get quite warm on the rear of the board.

Soldato
Then offices and homes up and down the land would be ablaze all the time from dusty PCs with plastic rich cases :p As long as nothing is shorting out the temperatures aren't high enough. Even CPU/GPU cores (assuming they didn't throttle/shut down, which they do) aren't high enough to ignite wood.

A motherboard mount may make it easier securing the board but hardly essential. Lian Li do a couple of different trays, can't link here as on competitor sites. Is it worth the money? For a DIY project I don't think so personally.

Most PCs have, what, ~5mm clearance to case wall? A few 5mm hex nylon/brass spacers, some machine screws (thickness of wood + 2mm and reuse the motherboard screws you have. Only a few quid if bought online.

E: I would ground out the motherboard to the PSU case though

Associate
OP
You could do what I am doing and take a old case to pieces and use it as parts. I am also building my pc into my desk and took a old Antec case apart and am using the motherboard tray and I/O PCI slots as a base. I wouldn't bolt the motherboard straight to a wooden base as I want some airflow under it as the areas around the cpu socket, chipset and VRM's can get quite warm on the rear of the board.

I thought of doing the exact same thing however, my case doesn't come apart since its all made as one. I have the Corsair - 300R ATX Mid Tower.

Then offices and homes up and down the land would be ablaze all the time from dusty PCs with plastic rich cases :p As long as nothing is shorting out the temperatures aren't high enough. Even CPU/GPU cores (assuming they didn't throttle/shut down, which they do) aren't high enough to ignite wood.

A motherboard mount may make it easier securing the board but hardly essential. Lian Li do a couple of different trays, can't link here as on competitor sites. Is it worth the money? For a DIY project I don't think so personally.

Most PCs have, what, ~5mm clearance to case wall? A few 5mm hex nylon/brass spacers, some machine screws (thickness of wood + 2mm and reuse the motherboard screws you have. Only a few quid if bought online.

E: I would ground out the motherboard to the PSU case though

The PSU would be fine with a piece of wood on two sides to hold it in place and probably a little black spray paint to hide it :D

I will look around the DIY shop and see if anything pops out at me that I can use with your suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
/off topic - slightly...

@pastymuncher

Hey Pasty, I would be really interested in the results as i've looked into the DIY approach myself but since having kids, i just can't imagine having the time/energy.

I've managed to hold onto my study (although i did get moved) but it's already got another chair in it - and usually a babbling child to go with it (i pretend to moan - but i love it really).

If you're happy about sharing your project, when you start, i'd be interested in following it. I've drawn sketches - basically b*st*rdizing a couple of identical cases and tempered glass - but that's as far as i've ever got. Plus, i think my Dremmel skills will probably highlight the DIY aspect rather than hide it. :/

Obviously, don't feel like you have to do a build log - but an update of how it's going/went would be great (if you get round to it - i know how life has a habit of randomly getting in the way of our interests). :)

Man of Honour
/off topic - slightly...

@pastymuncher

Hey Pasty, I would be really interested in the results as i've looked into the DIY approach myself but since having kids, i just can't imagine having the time/energy.

I've managed to hold onto my study (although i did get moved) but it's already got another chair in it - and usually a babbling child to go with it (i pretend to moan - but i love it really).

If you're happy about sharing your project, when you start, i'd be interested in following it. I've drawn sketches - basically b*st*rdizing a couple of identical cases and tempered glass - but that's as far as i've ever got. Plus, i think my Dremmel skills will probably highlight the DIY aspect rather than hide it. :/

Obviously, don't feel like you have to do a build log - but an update of how it's going/went would be great (if you get round to it - i know how life has a habit of randomly getting in the way of our interests). :)

I will think about a build log but have everything set out in my head along with measurements and spacing requirements on a piece of A4. It's basically going to be a two level wooden box slung under the desk with a large hole cut in the top of the desk and routered so that the piece of toughened glass will sit flush with the desks surface and act as a window into the top deck. The bottom deck will hold the psu, water pump and wiring while the top deck will take the important stuff that I will be able to view through the window. It will have 2x 200mm fans front and rear which will run at a silent 480rpm as I want this to be as silent as possible. I have a lot of bits from the Antec case that I took apart by drilling all the rivets out. The case actually cost me nothing as I got it from a computer shop in town. They upgrade peoples pc's and at the end of the week they take the old cases to the tip. I just happened to come along that morning, told them what I wanted to do and asked them what was the cheapest case they sell. They said if I came out the back that I could take my picj before they went to the tip so I got the donor case free!!

Soldato
Appreciate the comprehensive reply pastymuncher, that gives me a good idea. Thanks.

As mentioned don't feel obliged to take extra pics - i know what a pain it can be to stop and take pics when you're on limited time and just want to get on with a build.

But I would love to see the end result shots and perhaps your hindsight prospective of things that could have been made easier or improved upon.

Good tip about the local PC shop.

Associate
OP
i just placed the stand offs straight into the wood and screwed the motherboard onto them

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...r-one-of-those-pc-in-a-desk-threads.18640206/

Looks great :D question why do you have two separate machines?

i just placed the stand offs straight into the wood and screwed the motherboard onto them

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...r-one-of-those-pc-in-a-desk-threads.18640206/
Also, could you possibly link me to the site where you got the power button?

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
The one on the left was my main machine and the one on the right was a NAS server

I cannot link here as its a competitor and your trust is not setup.

Back
Top Bottom