advise on progression of ICE

Soldato
OP
so the people in the back will hear everything from the front with a good set of components.... :rolleyes:
you say you've been there and done that... but were you considering the people who sit in the back when you run your ICE.... I doubt it!

Soldato
OP
agw_01 said:
Running the fronts at 160Hz will miss out an awful lot of mid-bass frequencies. If the sub is running to 160, you'll get nasty loud booming bass which you don't want.

Personally, I would run the fronts from 80/90Hz upwards, run the sub 90Hz and below and the rears at 100Hz upwards.

That SHOULD solve your loss of mid-bass.

Hey mate, I am planning on dropping the crossover to around 80hz for when I get some good components that can handle low/mid bass with a lot of volume too! but it would seem getting those recommendations is harder than I thought...

Soldato
ScoobyDoo69 said:
so the people in the back will hear everything from the front with a good set of components.... :rolleyes:
you say you've been there and done that... but were you considering the people who sit in the back when you run your ICE.... I doubt it!

That's exactly what I'm saying. With a good set of components and 100W RMS going through them you'll hear them in the front, your passengers will hear them in the rear and everyone 2 streets away will hear them too. You'll also have a good soundstage.

I've been installing ICE in cars for the last 13 years, I've installed hundreds of different types of systems and have demo'd hundreds of different cars at dozens of different events over the years. I've been in some of the top, competition winning ICE cars in the industry so I'd say I've got a pretty good idea of what I'm talking about.

It's not just my opinion, just look at all the other people in this thread that know what they're talking about. Head over to Talkaudio and ask the same question, you'll ge the same answer. But hey, it's your car, you obviously know better than all of us so you keep your rolleyes to yourself and go ahead and ignore all the good advice. Next time you come to post a question we'll be sure to ignore you too.

Soldato
OP
sorry but in my opening post i said this

"Although I know people like to make a good sound stage for the driver, I am personally not that concerned, as long as it sounds like its majority infront of me, and some fill behind that's great, but I do carry rear passengers often, and of course they like to have the music with full frequencies (ish) so they can hear the music properly too."

Meaning I don't want to hear the whole soundstage thing, I was asking for advise on what component speakers and amp would be a progression for better sound quality and volume, more specifically I stated midbass..

Soldato
Hmm I have my rears driven through my amp as well as my front components with the sub on it's own class D amp. Are folks telling me it would sound better with the rears driven from the HU? Would seem a shame as I have a 4 channel 80W amp that does the speakers good service. The rears are faded down to around 25% just for infill purposes but it's all a lot neater imho and I'd rather just have 2 amps rather than 3 doing duty in the car.

My system isn't anything expensive just Alpine Type R comps in the front and type S coaxials in the rear with a 12" alpine sub and MRP-M350 amp but I do think it sounds good.

Last edited:
Soldato
pinkaardvark said:
Hmm I have my rears driven through my amp as well as my front components with the sub on it's own class D amp. Are folks telling me it would sound better with the rears driven from the HU? Would seem a shame as I have a 4 channel 100W amp that does the speakers good service. The rears are faded down to around 25% just for infill purposes but it's all a lot neater imho and I'd rather just have 2 amps rather than 3 doing duty in the car.

no it would sound better with out them

Soldato
needmorespeed said:
yes if you have decent front components with 100w going to them they will easily fill the whole car with sound and the next two streets with you want :)

Well all the ice experts on here are wrong then as they are reccomending running them off HU, not running none at all :) Plus I prefer not to have to turn the front up to such a level that it is deafening me so the rear passengers can better hear it.

Soldato
OP
pinkaardvark said:
Well all the ice experts on here are wrong then as they are reccomending running them off HU, not running none at all :) Plus I prefer not to have to turn the front up to such a level that it is deafening me so the rear passengers can better hear it.

someone who thinks like me..!

Soldato
pinkaardvark said:
Well all the ice experts on here are wrong then as they are reccomending running them off HU, not running none at all :)

Only for a bit of rear fill. I would recommend not running any at all but the way the OP was being so adamant about having them, that's the way I would do it. Personally I wouldn't have any rear speakers but if they have to be used then the HU should provide plenty of power to have them on at a lower level than the fronts.

Why doesn't anyone seem to be able to accept a bit of advice without getting all told you so and childish about it. I'm not going to bother in future.

Soldato
Well I dunno about being childish but I still haven't seen anyone explain why a crappy HU is better at driving the rear speakers than a decent amp. I say crappy in the respect tha no matter how expensive it is the teeny amp inside it won't be much cop. Sure it may have enough power for the job but will it have enough quality. Amplification is not just about sheer wattage surely? hence why I think a single dedicated 4 way decent amp is a better choice.

I guess I will also have to go against the grain and insist that having to listen to speakers turned up beyond the front passengers comfort levels so the rear passengers can hear sounds at the correct volume is not desireable.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
That's why I said I didnt want to run my rear speakers on the Headunit.. because the distortion occurs far too easily:

Post #4
"Hmm i don't like the idea of running the rears off the headunit that I hear all the time on here. because then there will be two different sound quality levels, and distortion from the headunits amp comes much too easy, but then again, I run it rather loud.."

I too would like an explanation as to why it is considered a good thing to do, and please dont say "soundstage" as the gains can be set low on the amp, but thus preventing distortion!

Soldato
a headunit wont be better an amp will but i would have the gains set as low as possible.

You dont have to have the volume turned to max for the rear passengers to hear it I dont use rear speakers in my mondeo and i only have the standard speakers and a pioneer head unit and you can still hear it perfectly fine in the back at normal volume

Soldato
If you've got lots of in phase stuff, then you must be near a Car audio centre shop. MY advice would be to go for the T-rex components which as absolute beasts and run them off a 200.4 Lanzar amp.

Failing that, Atomic do really nice components as do Infinity in their Perfect range. Move the existing front speakers to the back and run off a 200.4 and bobs your mothers brother.

BTW people told me not to bother with rear speakers or have them run off the head unit but I didi anyway and the whole setup sounds so much better. The only thing you have to remember is that the gain levels will be different if the power handling is different obviously.

How much were you going to spend again?

Back
Top Bottom