Advises for my Upgrade

Man of Honour
the king is dead. long live the king.
intel. amd. doesnt matter.
all will want to extract as much $$$ out of the consumer.

Soldato
LOL - loving the analogy but couldn't we have picked a better role model to represent the cause than the Dark Emperor? :D

:D

the king is dead. long live the king.
intel. amd. doesnt matter.
all will want to extract as much $$$ out of the consumer.

needing to find out how long reference cards for rx 5700 will be rolled out for. think Vega holds the record for being longest reference board to be sold without aftermarket PCB , and people thought nvidia were bad .

looking forward to seeing 8 core and ITX boards pushing some insane ram speeds hopefully !

really cant bring myself to 12 core, not for gaming

Soldato
@orbitalwalsh just biding time. no real rush to upgrade.
i want to. but don't need to.
need a better value proposition to entice me...lol

new playstation and xbox do tempt me... honestly want to slap myself for that comment ! haha

was just gonna stick with the Gaming 7 and slap in 3700x as my 2700 non X is such a bad chip! 1.45 volts to hold 4ghz all cores... custom 360 AIO is actually warm ! though give me a reason to pull the pump out of alphacool units and replace it :D

Permabanned
OP
slightly cheaper then rival but offering more cores and newer tech - spot on!

It is not slightly cheaper. It is more expensive and out of stock with nowhere shown date of delivery and availability.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £509.99 (includes shipping: £0.00)​

Total: £529.99 (includes shipping: £0.00)​

Soldato
It is not slightly cheaper. It is more expensive and out of stock with nowhere shown date of delivery and availability.

Total: £509.99 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Total: £529.99 (includes shipping: £0.00)

no, at laucnh they were £470, and at distribution pricing - resellers are allowed to increase price. also 9900k listed for £550 on launch I believe

lots in stock, but at £580...

Soldato

Total: £509.99 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Total: £529.99 (includes shipping: £0.00)
How long have you been waiting to revive this at the right time?

Come on, @4K8KW10 this is a pointless - no-one's disputing stock issues and @orbitalwalsh even warned of potential shortages of certain chips/gouging and it's a bit disingenuous pulling up a thread over a month old disputing current pricing, after the fact. Once AMD sort out their supply issues there will be price parity - it's nothing that INTEL haven't suffered in the past and without the competition.

Permabanned
OP
How long have you been waiting to revive this at the right time?

Come on, @4K8KW10 this is a pointless - no-one's disputing stock issues and @orbitalwalsh even warned of potential shortages of certain chips/gouging and it's a bit disingenuous pulling up a thread over a month old disputing current pricing, after the fact. Once AMD sort out their supply issues there will be price parity - it's nothing that INTEL haven't suffered in the past and without the competition.

You forgot that this is the thread where I, myself, ask for help.
Now, please, explain to me, what to buy because I have no desktop configuration, at all.

Soldato
No, I hadn't forgotten - i was actively trying not to mention that you were dragging up a 22 month old thread out of courtesy.

Now, please, explain to me, what to buy because I have no desktop configuration, at all.
You're quirky, by design, @4K8KW10 but you're not an idiot.

I may not agree with all your spec me configurations - but you will know your budget and the CPUs that will fulfill your brief. As to whether you can bring yourself to submit the order is a different matter.

Seriously, i have no problem with some members with a passion (not fanboy) for certain tech/architecture as they can offer a perspective that can sometimes be overlooked by even the impartial - but i'm at a loss as to what you're trying to achieve. Don't you get tired butting heads with members (not me i'm not invested enough, nor will i be)? From your posts you clearly have a lot to contribute and if 'some' were presented in a more reasoned and considered manner they would probably generate more discussion than derision (*note, i didn't lump all your posts in this category).

Soldato

you suck it up and wait to intel releases - pretty sure its December/January but could be wrong - I haven't invested much time to finding out tech further then October.

we all know AMD can lower their prices, easily! 2*** was £150+ cheaper then ryzen 1*** even with still using 14nm die size in 12nm manufacture. This was due to intel rolling out 6 and 8 core version which again highlights intel could have easily rolled out 6 core chips from Skylake - which is just shocking from them.

Navi AIB or incoming, these will eat 2060 super and 2070 sales due to being cheaper and more powerful then 2060 super whilst firmly being square hopefully with manual overclock to the 2070S.

keep it low cost.

3700x + x570 Gaming X + RX 5700 XT AIB + hunting down 3200hz Samsung B-Die/Micron E-Die and manually OC to 3633hz

Crucial P1 1TB NVMe - full NVMe 4.0 Controller isn't coming out to Q1 last few weeks which will finally drive max band width and should show more of an increase for gaming over traditional SATA 3 SSD then NVMe PCIe 3.0 did

Permabanned
OP
Up my thread.

I am impressed - I think the wait is over and I must redirect some finances for Ryzen 9 5900X 12-core/24-thread + Radeon RX 6800 XT :cool: and X570 motherboard with XPG GAMMIX S11 Pro PCIe Gen3x4 M.2 2280.

A very high-end build that should last for several years.

I'm going for it now.

Soldato
I am impressed
Spank my ass and call me Vermeer - i honestly thought your head would have spun off when the prices were announced.

The 5900X is arguably the best value in the range and from leaked performance even more so - it would be my choice if i was upgrading.

That will be a hefty spec - and, personally, i would add a couple+ of years to your 'several years', given anticipated motherboard/CPU performance and overall total outlay. Perhaps a GPU upgrade in a few years - but that build should last you a considerable amount of time.

So, are you at peace with AMD now - or is this a love hate relationship born out of logical necessity (3 years on and still AMD ~HEDT)?

*Motherboard choice - MSI x570 Tomahawk (I'm assuming you won't consider B550)?

**ordering on release dates?

Additional: @orbitalwalsh will need proof of life with pics and that day's newspaper date within shot.

Permabanned
OP
The motherboard will probably be the MSI X570-A PRO but it depends, it won't be on release date - I'm not so hard fanboy to do that...

Ok, let me ask - which one would you take?

ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4S
ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4
GIGABYTE X570 UD
ASRock X570 Pro4
MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS
MSI X570-A PRO
ASUS PRIME X570-P
GIGABYTE X570 GAMING X
ASUS TUF X570-PLUS GAMING
MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge (Wi-Fi)
GIGABYTE X570 AORUS ELITE
ASRock X570 Steel Legend
MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI

and why?

All of these are in the budget - higher than these - no.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ok, let me ask - which one would you take?
None - the MSI B550 Tomahawk if it was for gaming/office use.

But, if you need the extra lanes then the MSI x570 Tomahawk - as i would look to get the best performance out of the 5900X, the VRMs are proven (consistent reviews) and at ~£200 it's a solid buy. Very little contest...

Back
Top Bottom