Aero/Gains Thread

Soldato
Just won an Aerocoach 58T Arc ring on ebay, so pretty much final step to my aero puzzle! Should be on in time for the 50 I have a week on Sunday :S

Soldato
I need some aero gainzzzzz.

Stolen from FB.

https://ibb.co/7QSDg1T

Managed to ride the club 10 tonight. It stopped raining & there was a dry line. It was cold though and a slight headwind.

I left my Enve 65s on from the weekend which have training tyres but the rubber brake pads are better if wet than cork ones and I didn’t really want to risk a flat on my nice wheels.

No luck again with traffic, first roundabout get a moped go all the way round with a van behind it which took the before exit so I couldn’t even jump on and get a tow back up to speed. Grr!

I felt like I was going alright & the power looked OK. Surprised to ride a 22:25ish for 303w. I did a 21:42 last week for 304w and had to slow at the first roundabout then too.

I’d be surprised if tyres & wheels accounted for more than 10w drag difference and my pacing was pretty good both nights so maybe just a slow night.

The Marshall told me at the end that I was easily the fastest around the big roundabout (which I didn’t have to slow for). It’s so big you can pretty much pedal all the way round and not lose that much speed!

I got some new bars on eBay (3T Volas) so going to play around with those, can’t make club night for a few weeks now. I need to make myself 10% more aero as I can’t add much power with the amount of riding I do.

Last edited:
Soldato
So I got impatient and started to change the front end already!

I was using the following comparison http://yojimg.net/bike/web_tools/stem.php

I can slam my stem (left one 5mm spacer under and haven’t cut it yet) and compensate with the spacers under the pads now.

I have removed 20mm of spacers from the stem, so adding those back under the pads means (I think) that it doesn’t change anything geometry wise aside from the brake hoods obviously being lower/more reach.

I need some new cable outers before I can do the gear cables, one was a little short previously and I might as well add a small amount of length while I can.

Maybe it’s worth just riding it fixed gear on the turbo while I at least get the front end in the ballpark before cabling.

Soldato
So I got impatient and started to change the front end already!

I was using the following comparison http://yojimg.net/bike/web_tools/stem.php

I can slam my stem (left one 5mm spacer under and haven’t cut it yet) and compensate with the spacers under the pads now.

I have removed 20mm of spacers from the stem, so adding those back under the pads means (I think) that it doesn’t change anything geometry wise aside from the brake hoods obviously being lower/more reach.

I need some new cable outers before I can do the gear cables, one was a little short previously and I might as well add a small amount of length while I can.

Maybe it’s worth just riding it fixed gear on the turbo while I at least get the front end in the ballpark before cabling.

Sensible! For anyone new to this coming into this thread it's also worth reminding get out and ride new positions. It's amazing how sketchy some positions can be with only minor changes. Especially with wind and bumps chucked into the mix!

Soldato
Richmond Park TT this morning. I've not done much TT-specific training this year, mostly shorter intervals under 10mins and climbs under 20mins.

Came out with a 2 second PB over last year with 3W difference which is within ±2% accuracy of a Stages. So many factors that could have affected things such as smoother tarmac on resurfaced sections of the course, a strong wind compared to last year and about 5 seconds where I had to ease the Watts because a car was in the way.

Congrats again to @Thomas. PLease. on victory in the Road Bike cat.

Soldato
Richmond Park TT this morning. I've not done much TT-specific training this year, mostly shorter intervals under 10mins and climbs under 20mins.

Came out with a 2 second PB over last year with 3W difference which is within ±2% accuracy of a Stages. So many factors that could have affected things such as smoother tarmac on resurfaced sections of the course, a strong wind compared to last year and about 5 seconds where I had to ease the Watts because a car was in the way.

Congrats again to @Thomas. PLease. on victory in the Road Bike cat.

Cheers Liam, the first time i've managed to win one of them, despite years of trying. Seem to have hit a bit of form at the moment.

Just won an Aerocoach 58T Arc ring on ebay, so pretty much final step to my aero puzzle! Should be on in time for the 50 I have a week on Sunday :S

Go careful with that, mine only lasted a few months before two teeth snapped, and another had just half the carbon left.

Soldato
Yeah, one of the hayter's. His elder brother is currently leading the u23 Giro D'Italia. He was crushing all the early season TTs too. Took a few wrong turns on some of them too. Too much time spent on a velodrome!

Soldato
OP
I'll preface this by pointing out that I'm rubbish at TTs and have no idea what I'm talking about:

I'd say the difference is nothing aero, just where and how you use your power.
Looking at the first 2.2 miles of the race (and assuming that your ride has the correct elevation profile because his is different and doesnt match up with the speeds).
hdR7q82.png
(you on the left, him on the right)
You've stuck strictly to your average power pretty much constantly whereas he has coasted down the hill a bit at under 200watts. You're ahead after this section (look at the total times taken rather than the average speed calculated by strava - i think the autopause or pickup time off the start line has messed that figure up a bit) but you've used 30watts more on average to get there. Drag increases exponentially with speed, so even though you were slightly faster down the hill, you've used a lot more power to do that.

Then look at the following 10 miles from this point to the turn.
lgxLDW2.png
(Again, you on the left, him on the right)

This is where he made up almost all of the time on you - there's not much difference in times on the return leg.
Having rested a little on the first descent, he is now putting out a bit more power (17watts more) on the flatter section which results in a higher average speed. You can see a small dip in power and increase in speed again where he takes a short break on a descent around 7 miles.
Overall, average power is not much different between the 2 of you but he the way that you've used the power is different. Conservation of momentum is the most important thing so pushing a little harder on the climbs and easing back on the descents.

Apologies for the massive delays buddy. Not ignoring at all, just waiting until I got some time to sit and look over properly!

I appreciate you taking the time to delve into it and I think you have hit nail on the head. Although I do believe I can get a lower CDA (which will only help) I think having the numbers is one thing but using them in accordance to maintaining speed is another thing.

Still rather annoying that for 17w more after the start descent can net him a higher avg speed. On a hill 17w more than me would see him dropping like a stone but on the flat/at speed the weight difference is nowhere near as advantageous and a small number of watts between riders 10-20KG different equates to little.

Soldato
Threw those Volas on and gave it a 5 min test on the turbo, then went and rode a club 10 on them haha.

Front end felt high, it also felt like I had to push myself back on the saddle a bit sometimes.

My arms were a bit low angle wise, obviously the bars are almost flat so this was going to be the case.

I think I’ll lower the whole front end 5mm which is the last spacer on the steerer and tilt the bars a couple of degrees. Anything more and it’s changing bars time.

Comfort and stability was OK, braking not quite as good with a flat handlebar but not terrible.

I was perhaps 15-20 seconds slower than I should have been. I’m thinking that the tyres I have for training on really are that draggy! Compared to Corsa CX Evo as the rest of my equipment is exactly the same as last year. Not been tested for rolling resistance by any of those reviews as they aren’t meant to be used for racing lol

Didn’t want to risk my disc/good wheels after all the rain we’ve been having on an untested handlebar setup.

I did a 22:29 for 299w. Should be close to 21 for that power, still I did a hard hill session on Sunday so not fully recovered from that. Got a bit of time off now, but will have to tweak the front end..

Last edited:
Soldato
Something I've wanted to have a proper go at for a while, attempting a road bike sub 20 10m TT. Must have been a decent night on the A3 last night as I managed it on the first go with a 19.50. Well chuffed with that. Good enough for 10th with everyone else on TT bikes.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2521320244

Beast!

I got the TT out for the first time in nearly a month, been busy and not training/riding much at all.

I have only been able to go on the Sunday bunch which can turn into a smash fest and is 4-6 hours. That high:low intensity has obviously helped me out.

I did a 21:42 for 308w on not the calmest night which placed me 5th. That’s a power PB for the year and an equal best time.

Next step is to angle my bars a touch (will need some armrest spacers, might first go back to my alloy bars as they have more of a bend) and maybe take 10mm spacer out I have good shoulder angle now and got that extra reach I wanted.

Channeling my inner Cancellera here hahaha

https://ibb.co/M1dvdT7

Associate
I don't know if this is the correct place but i'd thought i'd share.

A good workmate of mine used to Hill climb/race/TT's back in the day, (82 on) these are some of the pics he showed me and time.

He did a 22:06 on that.

A 19:58 on his Lowboy. Also a 56:05 for the hour. :eek:

He's still great on the hills at 64!

Soldato
OP
I don't know if this is the correct place but i'd thought i'd share.

A good workmate of mine used to Hill climb/race/TT's back in the day, (82 on) these are some of the pics he showed me and time.

He's still great on the hills at 64!

Cool! :)
Never underestimate the older lad who used to be proper back in the day. Some deep lying mad strength just never vanishes.

Soldato
Disc wheel with alloy brake track, clincher... any recommendations?

Weather was pretty good last night, bit of a headwind.

Ripped it getting a 21:14 which is a PB for me (28 seconds for this year and 16 second overall) did 316w 319NP. I felt good, didn’t get slowed at the first roundabout which has happened a lot recently, felt like I could keep on top of the gear and didn’t fade in the last 4-5km to come home strong.

Been riding the local hard bunch ride on Sundays and it’s paying off, 4-6 hours hard and pushing each other on climbs when you already feel you’re at your max.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom