Aero/Gains Thread

Associate
I rode my TT bike on the road for the 1st time in about 7 months yesterday. After a winter toiling away on a road bike you forget how fast a TT bike can be. I've got a hilly 20k TT next sunday. A field of 60 riders.

Came 18th! Beat a few lighter riders who usually beat me on hilly courses. Lots of Strava segment PRs. Looks like I had a good winter!

Soldato
need to show your before and after pics!

Let’s see if this works.

This is the after photo. Removed one 10mm arm rest raiser, brought pads a little closer to compensate.

Solid thinks maybe add some arm angle and bring hands up. I think perhaps there is a little to be gained there but not much.

I do have the wedges but I don’t like how they damage the arm rests. Good for testing things once but not a proper solution.

Main issue is I’d have to flip my handlebars USE 40s, to give me more raise: so it’s a total recable of both gears just to try it out.

https://imgur.com/a/IhhdyrD

Soldato
My observation would be your reach is super long. It’s individual obviously but I had good results trying to close up the gap between elbow and knee so you present a single shape to the wind. Could be worth experimenting with?

Soldato
My observation would be your reach is super long. It’s individual obviously but I had good results trying to close up the gap between elbow and knee so you present a single shape to the wind. Could be worth experimenting with?

Perhaps, but to bring pads closer would also have to lower them corresponding or will end up sitting up more?

Or have to move wider elbows/shoulders to allow more of a shrug and bring head down while sacrificing some narrowness...

I’d be more willing to experiment if it wasn’t such a mission to make big changes( ie I had electronic shifting!).

On another topic I saw your time yesterday, pretty good some fast guys turning out!

I haven’t ridden there for a while but the surfaces used to be quite mixed, and it could get windy on the bypass, head/tail wind when you turn.

How are they starting riders, no push, but is there anything to hold or is it push yourself off and then try and clip in?

Soldato
Thanks very much - course hasn’t changed in terms of surface since I last rode it in 2017 but it’s a good test. Saw a few riders getting a good tow off some slow lorries and tractors but I wasn’t so lucky, no traffic at all. :D Really happy with the ride though.

Re your position, I’m not sure you would need to adjust saddle to pad drop much. You may actually find by reducing the difference (and reducing reach) it becomes easier to drop and rotate your head.

Soldato
Thanks very much - course hasn’t changed in terms of surface since I last rode it in 2017 but it’s a good test. Saw a few riders getting a good tow off some slow lorries and tractors but I wasn’t so lucky, no traffic at all. :D Really happy with the ride though.

Re your position, I’m not sure you would need to adjust saddle to pad drop much. You may actually find by reducing the difference (and reducing reach) it becomes easier to drop and rotate your head.

This is my before/first week out.

Pads are 10mm higher and actually further away here, but my head is much higher up. And yes that is a post lockdown gut!

https://imgur.com/a/qyQU3di

Soldato
OP
I was 100% taking the **** mate :p Love nothing more than the gods on FB and forums looking at pics of TT'ers and giving it both barrels.

Soldato
So after my fit the other week, had a couple of TTs, definitely more comfortable and I'm getting some course PBs on cold nights.

This is the best before photo I could find.

YY5Z50C.jpg

After, can see I'm lower and flatter, got few more adjustments to make and some new arm pads to go on, hopefully will get time to do that over the weekend.

0iR7S0F.jpg

Soldato
:D New position looks good though.

As said earlier, got a few adjustments to make, got some new arm pads to put on but got to drill a rounded bolt out first. Might try to get them in before Monday if I get time today/tomorrow and saddle needs to drop a bit but again another rounded bolt to sort out.

It feels quicker and massively more comfortable, so expect to see benefits on the longer courses once I learn to keep my head tucked down after riding it more.

Soldato
OP
What were the changes made at the fit?

I managed to nab a etap rear mech so I have no excuse now and will need to clear the dust off the TT bike and ride the thing.

Soldato
What were the changes made at the fit?

I managed to nab a etap rear mech so I have no excuse now and will need to clear the dust off the TT bike and ride the thing.

Cleats further back, ski bars further forward and spread apart at the end so hands go from overlap on top of each other (like Wiggins had) to side holding the ski bars, saddle proposed to go down when I can undo the bolt. I'm unsure if its worked yet, PBs on home courses I've not ridden in an age in much worse condiitons (wind and 10c less) and then this morning 297W for a 10mile power PB by 7W for a 22:05, couple of minutes off first placed guy, but as I was out of area I'm unsure how it compares, not an especially quick time but quickest today was 19:55, against spindatas quickest estimate of a 20:08 when the wind was gusting for 20mph cross winds. Guess can just keep plugging away, due a race on A3 in a couple of weeks to really see where I am form wise as well as my position. Just gotta focus on tucking my head in, reckon that's where i'm losing some speed currently, but not bad for only 3rd ride on the TT bike this year.

Soldato
A lovely evening in the end last night when the clouds eventually cleared off.

A gusty NE wind, which didn't help the return leg.

Managed 15 more watts than last week, up to 366 to give a time of 21:37. It's a bit of a lumpy course so anything under 21 is considered bloody brisk!

(apologies for the dodgy photo, our organiser is still getting the hang of his camera :cry:)

high res gif

Back
Top Bottom