Affinity Photo

Associate
Cheers. I'll make sure I grab it before then.

Does this have lens profiles?

It's more of a Photoshop replacement than Lightroom, still messing around with it and finding things, definitely has chromatic aberration corrections etc, but I don't think it has lens profiles as per Lightroom at the minute.

Associate
Thanks again.

Just seen that PaintShop Pro X9 Ultimate is available for £19.99. Hmm. Tempting.

Are PS Pro X9 Ultimate and Affinity totally different?
were is pp x9 £19.99 ?cant see it anywhere near that.
but yep they are differant products, just for both pic editing

Associate
I've just been looking further into Affinity and lens profiles.

I've read that it uses the LensFun database here.

Yes, that's it - but from discussions on the Affinity forums it seems that lens corrections are not yet working reliably. They have been very responsive to bug reports however - a problem I reported with RAW development in the beta release was fixed for the consumer release.

uv

uv

Soldato
So it works out of the box with the 64MP HiRes raws from my Olympus, but adding live filters to files of that size makes my machine cry! Pretty much the first time I've ever completely filled the 8GB RAM on my machine without a VM running!

Soldato
So opinions on this vs Lightroom are?
£29.99 seems a decent price and always happy to try something new, still using LR5.1 as there is no way on earth I'm paying for CC monthly.

Affinity is more like Photoshop, if you want something like LR try Paintshop PRO x9 ultimate (on offer approx £20)..

uv

uv

Soldato
I ended up buying this, and I'm really liking it so far.

The focus stacking works really well, very easy to use

the CA removal and defringe work really well - especially as you can have multiple defringe layers working on different hues and strengths.

The white balance picker lets me correct Infrared images, whereas Lightroom needed me to run them through a DNG profile editor first as the shift was too extreme.

Inpainting is fantastic - I'd say it's as good as PS's content-aware fill, but it's easier to use and no switching between apps

NIK plugins work no problem

Only issue I've got at the moment is I'm not used to the white/black/shadow/highlight adjustments - I miss the sliders in Lightroom. I need to watch some videos on how this works in Affinity, as the shadow/highlight adjustment seems quite rudimentary so far, but maybe I'm just doing it wrong!

Associate
I ended up buying this, and I'm really liking it so far.

The focus stacking works really well, very easy to use

the CA removal and defringe work really well - especially as you can have multiple defringe layers working on different hues and strengths.

The white balance picker lets me correct Infrared images, whereas Lightroom needed me to run them through a DNG profile editor first as the shift was too extreme.

Inpainting is fantastic - I'd say it's as good as PS's content-aware fill, but it's easier to use and no switching between apps

NIK plugins work no problem

Only issue I've got at the moment is I'm not used to the white/black/shadow/highlight adjustments - I miss the sliders in Lightroom. I need to watch some videos on how this works in Affinity, as the shadow/highlight adjustment seems quite rudimentary so far, but maybe I'm just doing it wrong!

There are a lot of Affinity tutorials here.

I'm going to buy it on Monday.

Back
Top Bottom