After 8 years I've finally bit the Bullet - Upgrade Bits...

Soldato
Thanks to work for giving me a nice Crimbo Bonus, I've just ordered a new Mobo, CPU, M.2 and RAM to pull my current system out of the dulldrems!

My Current AMD FM2 APU/processor, is still going okay, but the Asus Motherboard is on a veeerrry old BIOS and things are starting to fail (won't boot, boot loop, Clock not syncing etc), It's not a slouch (4 core 3Ghz, Radeon HD 6550D, 16Gb DDR3) Runs AutoDesk Inventor, albeit a little jerky! but it's getting tired and even after a re-build in November, it's not happy!

So I've just laid down some wedge on:

ASRock X570 Pro4 Motherboard,
AMD Ryzen 5 - 3400G APU (can't afford a GPU so this will suffice)
Vengance 32Gb DDR4 (3000 not 3200, might overclock), This will Run Inventor and Revit no problems!!
Team Group M.2 512Gb SSD (For Boot Drive - to go with the 8Tb of mechanical SATA drives I have)

As my case is only 2 years old (and still looks nice) I didn't need that replacing, and my 750watt PSU will be more than adequate.

One question I have is, My current copy of Windows 10 Pro, which is connected to my Microsoft Account... Will it just install no problems? or will I have to jump through hoops with Microsoft??

Just gonna sit watching the window waiting for the DPD man to come now!!!!!!!

Soldato
I'm guessing you don't game at all?

You probably would have been better off picking up an AMD 1600 AF (performs similarly to a 2600) as you can find them for £80-90 if you shop around, that way you'd have had a 6c12t CPU as opposed to a 4c8t.

Toss in something like a Nvidia 730 for £30-40 for video out.

Back
Top Bottom