Aftermarket Alarm Help

Soldato
OP
Cheers Ben,

The solenoids go for <£5 on ebay anyway and I expect the same from a breakers or the owners forums so will pick one up before hacking other stuff apart.

Gav

Gav

Associate
The alarm you have is a rebadged Toad system. The easy way to find the unit is to sit in the car and shut all the doors. Press the button on you remote and listen for the indicator relays clicking. This will lead you to the alarm unit.

Soldato
OP
Hi guys, found the alarm today.

Also did some research and it is a "Toad Sterling Pro-CL".

So, what should I tell my insurers when they ask about security?

I am quite sure that the Ford alarm module hs been completely removed. IIRC from when I broke my GhiaX for spares it was in the drivers footwell and in this Ghia Estate there are 3 multi plugs there loose, disconnected.

I think I will get a new solenoid for the passenger door and try that out too.

EDIT - Is anybody familiar with this alarm. It has what looks like an antenna cable coming out of the module and also another cable not connected to anything.

Also, what's the best way to extend the range of the fob?

Gav

Gav

Associate
Tesla said:
EDIT - Is anybody familiar with this alarm. It has what looks like an antenna cable coming out of the module and also another cable not connected to anything.

Also, what's the best way to extend the range of the fob?

Yes, I run a car audio/security company.

There isn't any real way to extend the range of the remote other than making sure that the antenna wire is as straight as possible and away from metal.(it is the short black wire that comes out of the main brain.)

Tell your insurance that it is a Cat 1 alarm and they should be able to find it on their system. If they cant then goto thatcham.org and download the latest listings for passenger cars. It will be on there under Sterling.

Soldato
OP
alarm.jpg

Here is a pic I have just taken. I assume the skinny wire is the aerial.

I was curious to know what the other cable was, the bundled up one?

I have added you to my MSN too, hope you don't mind.

Gav

Gav

Associate
the other wire is the immobiliser cable.

That alarm is just a standard alarm and not the cat 1. Because your car has a built in immobiliser it doesnt really need that to be connected. BUT most of the time i would connect it anyway. It doesn't affect the alarm and it would be safe to cut it off.

Back
Top Bottom