Associate
Hi Guys

I have an ageing Titan Goliath OCUK machine, with this spec at present:

Motherboard: Gigabyte EX58-UD3R Firmware FK.
Processor: Intel Core i7 920 3.4Ghz.
Memory: Corsair XMS3 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 (2400MHz) Tri-Channel TR3X6G1600C9.
Processor Cooler: Akasa AK-967 Nero Direct Contact Heatpipe CPU Cooler.
Power Supply: Corsair TX 650W ATX 2.2.
Graphics Card: Geforce GT630 BIOS NV809MS.G10
Hard Drives: OCZ-Vertex2 Firmware:1.37, TOSHIBA DT01ACA300 Firmware:MX6OABB0, Seagate Barracuda ST3500418AS Firmware:CC38, WDC WD20EADS-00S2B0 Firmware: 04.05G04.
Optical Drive: LG GH22NS30 22x DVD±RW SATA Dual Layer ReWriter
Case: Coolmaster Elite 335

I'm looking to putting upgrading to these...

The memory on the compatibility list for the GA-EX58-UD3R is low in Spec, what do you think? to 12GB-G-Skill-DDR3-PC3-12800-1600MHz-Ripjaw-9-9-9-24-Triple-Channel-kit-3x4GB

Processor: I'm also looking to replace the ageing i7-920 with something better. The compatibility list for processors is a bit better, up to i7-990x the budget option is the Intel Xeon W3690. I'm not certain my current Akasa AK-967 Nero Direct Contact Heatpipe CPU Cooler. Will get the job done, what you reckon?

Graphics: MSI Radeon RX 480 Armor OC 8GB

Hard Drives: RAID 0+1: 4* Seagate BarraCuda 2TB 64MB Cache Hard Drive SATA 6GB/s

Can you recommend a good SSD to replace the 90 GB OCZ-Vertex2?

Any Help Greatly Appreciated.

Cheers
SouthamptonUK

Soldato
If you want to upgrade the CPU then you are best off just replacing the whole system, upgrading the RAM to 12GB and the GPU will help massively in games. Crucial/Samsung/SanDisk all make good SSD's, I just go for what is cheapest for the capacity I want from a well known manufacture with decent reviews. Getting the RX 480 to start with and putting it into the system and seeing how it performs is the best option, after all you'd be getting a new card anyway.

Associate
OP
Morning Doogles :eek:

Thanks for your speedy reply :D As there's not much info in either of our profiles allow me to introduce myself... Apologies that this is a bit long but you need to know what level to pitch your replies @.

I'm 44 (going on 10) and "Tech" has been my thing since age 6ish, While most people "use" tech I'm very OCD about it and most of the time know my onions. I've little ego and no reason to lie. While trying to be humble and able to admit I have character defects and very willing to admit to not being able to know everything, capable of researching on my own. Seeing peer review as an essential part of this "Tech Thing".

I'm an IT professional with a long varied career. software, hardware, support, development, progressing to senior management while always keeping my hands on tech knowledge up to date as possible.

I've always gone str8 in the "advanced settings" of whatever "tech" it is getting the best out of it :) "Process Improvement" is my bag (whatever the process is...). Firmware, Bios, Driver, Software updates are all essential in my opinion to get the best out of whichever device it is, capable of troubleshooting **** when it breaks.

Sadly I became disabled a few years back and £££ is a huge factor currently :rolleyes:

I know your advice is sound!!!! You wouldn't be a "Mobster" without knowing your stuff :p

While I say this PC is ageing certain components are dying, I know this because I've tested them and done the work. :D To upgrade everything is not an option sadly :mad: I've spec'd what I "need" using "newer components" and "shopping smart", even if I do the build it rocks in @ a minimum £3k(ish).

Hence me having to look @ second-hand components from around the world to get what I "need" knowing there out of warranty, may not work, with minimal chance of returning them and getting my £££ back.

If I could afford an 8Pack build I would cause Time is £££ and "People are People" :))

With this in mind, The EX58-UD3R (rev. 1.6) is still a great board and may last for a time, even with a limited spec compared to a kaby lake capable board.

The two bits of help I really need are:

SSD: Based upon the EX58-UD3R's 3Gb/s SATA2 limitations... I don't have Crossfire/SLI anymore (**** happens) and a have a free PCI-E 2.0 x16 slot. I've not had time to really investigate getting an M.2 drive working and my gut tell's me the EX58-UD3R Rev 1.6 FK BIOS won't boot from PCI-E anyway?

Cooling: The Akasa AK-967 Nero I have is so snug in the "Coolmaster Elite 335" I have(mere mm's) that changing it requires careful consideration. Would the Akasa AK-967 Nero sit comfortably while sufficiently cooling the Intel Xeon W3690. If I decided to go that route?

Thanks for your help m8 ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom