1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AGP Card Plug - Noob Q

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Dan G, 29 Jan 2006.

1. Dan G

Hitman

You know on the Trailing Edge of a AGP Card pug there's that little bit that turns 90 degrees backwards and is outside of the socket? Whats that do / for!!?? ;)
    Cheers :p Daniel :p

2. Cyber-Mav

Capodecina

thats the bit that is clamped down on by a little latch thingy on some agp boards.

3. stigggeh

Mobster

if its what i am thinking about, some slots have a retention mechanism to hold the card in the slot,

4. Dan G

Hitman

Thanks for the prompt responses! Sounds like the sort of thing and a neat idea. Never seen a clamp on a mobo for it tho! Cheers!

5. Cyber-Mav

Capodecina

not all board have the clamp thingy but it is a very good feature. my old kt7a board does not have it and the case the board is in is crappy so if i tighten the scred holding the agp card in place too much then the back end of the card lifts a little out of the socket and caused boot problems sometimes.
    if i had the clamp on the card then i would never have this problem, so i have to be very gentle when fitting the card in.

6. Mrchu_

Hitman

I used to take them off if i could with a small screwdriver, because before i had h2o,i would often want to play with different fans & gpu sinks etc.Needing to remove the graphics card in a full case could take some force,practically blind in a full case ,to flip the little lever.As my graphics cards became larger it began to become quiet unnerving when taking it out.It felt as if i was prising a capacator off or something close :eek: . If youre careful in removal (tape it to the inside of your case)you can replace it unnoticed for any reason necessary.I have never had a grafics card not want to stay in on a decent built PC.:)
    just a suggestion.

Last edited: 29 Jan 2006