Air cooling i7 9700k...

zer

zer

Associate
Hi from Greece!
I currently bought an i7 9700k, in order to upgrade my i5 8400. Mobo is Gigabyte Z370 HD3 (if it's relevant). Iam not considering overclocking the 9700K, at least not in the forseeable future...
Quick question: Will stock Intel cooler (i already have it and currently using it from 15 8400) be ok? (without overclocking the 9700k). Do i need to go to s'thing like Noctua U12S ?(cheaper than D15S)
Many thanks!

Soldato
Would help to know what RAM and case you have. Then we can make sure cooler will fit case and clear RAM.

Stock cooler if it's cooling well and not too loud is fine. There are many coolers much lower priced with similar performance (some better) than Noctua NH-U12SD and D15S. Noctua definitely charges extra for their name.

Soldato
Corsair 300R has 170mm CPU clearance so almost all coolers will fit.
Corsair sells several different Vengenance RAM modules. I need to know which one.

I won't be home until tomorrow afternoon, will post then with more info.

Soldato
My experience of Intel stock coolers isn't good, but ultimately if you're happy with temps and acoustic levels there's no issue with using one.

If you do feel the need to replace it, I'd highly recommend the following:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £23.99 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Very hard to beat for the price, I'm using one myself and have recommended/put them in builds for others. It's a five heatpipe cooler with two 140mm fans, I find it to be pretty much silent and the thermal results are excellent.

Review: https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/6706/alpenfoehn-brocken-2-cpu-cooler-review/index6.html

Hold in mind the review I've linked is for the standard Brocken 2, the version linked in the store is the PCGH edition with an extra fan, so it should have slightly better performance.

Soldato
Hi from Greece!
I currently bought an i7 9700k, in order to upgrade my i5 8400. Mobo is Gigabyte Z370 HD3 (if it's relevant). Iam not considering overclocking the 9700K, at least not in the forseeable future...
Quick question: Will stock Intel cooler (i already have it and currently using it from 15 8400) be ok? (without overclocking the 9700k). Do i need to go to s'thing like Noctua U12S ?(cheaper than D15S)
Many thanks!
Sorry for taking so long.
GA-H370 HD3 has approximately (within 1mm):
54.8mm center CPU to near side of RAM socket
69.6mm center CPU to near side of x4 PCIe socket
90.4mm center CPU to near side of x16 PCIe socket (for GPU)​

With case having 170mm there is plenty of room for bigger coolers to clear GpU and several coolers with backset fin-packs can fit fan in front of them without RAM interferring.

As Gray2233 said, Rrocken 2 is good, but I would not get the GCGH edition becuase the fans are only 700rpm. I like having fans that will run about twice that speed in case I need more cooling. 700rpm is about middle speed / middle temperature range (55-60c) on most of my builds. At full load CPU is about 70c with fan/s about 1000-1100rpm .. except in super hot summer days with dirty filters fans will run 1200-1400rpm at about 75c.

Alpenfohn Brocken B-grade for £29.99
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/b-grade-alpenfohn-brocken-3-cpu-cooler-140mm-bg-01e-al.html

Last edited:

zer

zer

Associate
OP
Sorry for taking so long.
GA-H370 HD3 has approximately (within 1mm):
54.8mm center CPU to near side of RAM socket
69.6mm center CPU to near side of x4 PCIe socket
90.4mm center CPU to near side of x16 PCIe socket (for GPU)​

With case having 170mm there is plenty of room for bigger coolers to clear GpU and several coolers with backset fin-packs can fit fan in front of them without RAM interferring.

As Gray2233 said, Rrocken 2 is good, but I would not get the GCGH edition becuase the fans are only 700rpm. I like having fans that will run about twice that speed in case I need more cooling. 700rpm is about middle speed / middle temperature range (55-60c) on most of my builds. At full load CPU is about 70c with fan/s about 1000-1100rpm .. except in super hot summer days with dirty filters fans will run 1200-1400rpm at about 75c.

Alpenfohn Brocken B-grade for £29.99
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/b-grade-alpenfohn-brocken-3-cpu-cooler-140mm-bg-01e-al.html
My experience of Intel stock coolers isn't good, but ultimately if you're happy with temps and acoustic levels there's no issue with using one.

If you do feel the need to replace it, I'd highly recommend the following:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £23.99 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Very hard to beat for the price, I'm using one myself and have recommended/put them in builds for others. It's a five heatpipe cooler with two 140mm fans, I find it to be pretty much silent and the thermal results are excellent.

Review: https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/6706/alpenfoehn-brocken-2-cpu-cooler-review/index6.html

Hold in mind the review I've linked is for the standard Brocken 2, the version linked in the store is the PCGH edition with an extra fan, so it should have slightly better performance.
Many many thanks!!!

Back
Top Bottom