AirPods (and AirPods Pro [and AirPods Pro 2nd generation]) now available

Soldato
Maybe a bit of a pointless post but I thought I’d share anyway. I purchased a set of AirPod 2’s a year ago and took them back after a week as they just wouldn’t stay in my ears, particularly when running and using gym equipment. I purchased Jaybird Vistas instead and these have been perfect for these activities.

However, since being on lockdown I’ve been after a set of more comfortable earphones for ‘sitting still’ on teams, zoom and generally home working. The Vistas are good for running but they cancel too much noise due to the tight fit and get uncomfortable after a while. So I took another punt and re-purchased AirPod 2’s (couldn’t afford pro’s). This time I purchased a set of Damon Light covers from Amazon to aid the grip in my ear. More importantly, I now twist the AirPods inwards slightly so the stem points slightly more horizontally rather than straight down, and this has made a huge difference in the fit, they’re not going anywhere now! I would imagine they’d now be absolutely fine for running too but I’ll be sticking with the Vistas for that anyway. I can’t believe I never tried to twist my last set during use but nevermind.

One happy AirPod owner! Really impressed with them and just glad I got on board eventually!

Soldato
If you have a largely apple eco system but most importantly your phone is still android are the AirPods a poor option? I have old apple headphones (wired) that are packing in and need a new pair for exercise and general use. Is there a sufficient loss of functionality with the AirPods that mean they aren't worth getting? May switch to Iphone in the future but still toying with the idea. I have an iPad, iPod, iMac and MacBook but obvious exercise wise they would be paired to a phone most of the time.

Soldato
If you have a largely apple eco system but most importantly your phone is still android are the AirPods a poor option? I have old apple headphones (wired) that are packing in and need a new pair for exercise and general use. Is there a sufficient loss of functionality with the AirPods that mean they aren't worth getting? May switch to Iphone in the future but still toying with the idea. I have an iPad, iPod, iMac and MacBook but obvious exercise wise they would be paired to a phone most of the time.
AirPods on Android are ok but you really do miss out on some of the key functionality that you get with using them on an iPhone. I would go for something else if you are using Android. However, if you have plans to get an iPhone then you could use the Airpods as it is for now and then when you get an iPhone you will unlock all the features. Depends how soon you are looking at moving however.

Soldato
It’s not that odd and they work fine with Android you just don’t get a few of the ios specific features.

I’ve seen a youtuber say they specifically use this combo daily.

Soldato
I use mine on android, and I'm a big fan. I use an app called airbattery which replicates some of the iPhone linkup functions like tapping to pause playback, and playback pausing when an earbud is removed.

Soldato
Little details coming out about the 'Airpod Studio' headphones like neck detection and user customisation - I really hope they're actually over ear rather than on ear as I find the latter super uncomfortable.

Soldato
Ok, Ive read the thread but I want to ask the question specifically. Ive gone from thinking these were a ridiculous product and total waste of money to realising they are probably just what I need.
They will be used primarily for exercise outdoors in a rural area. they will be used in the house too. Obviously if Im going on holiday they would be used too but thats not really important, particularly not just now! There will be no commuter use or public transport use etc.

In these circumstances would I be fine to buy the normal ones rather than the Pro's? I don't think I really need to spend the extra given the use Ive outlined?

I think Im just resigning myself to switching everything over to Apple gradually. Im powerless to resist their tech and the sooner I acknowledge that the less painful it will be for everyone!

Soldato
Ok, Ive read the thread but I want to ask the question specifically. Ive gone from thinking these were a ridiculous product and total waste of money to realising they are probably just what I need.
They will be used primarily for exercise outdoors in a rural area. they will be used in the house too. Obviously if Im going on holiday they would be used too but thats not really important, particularly not just now! There will be no commuter use or public transport use etc.

In these circumstances would I be fine to buy the normal ones rather than the Pro's? I don't think I really need to spend the extra given the use Ive outlined?

I think Im just resigning myself to switching everything over to Apple gradually. Im powerless to resist their tech and the sooner I acknowledge that the less painful it will be for everyone!
I've used mine for running for years. I would say that is one of the main times I use them.

Soldato
No. Your mileage may vary, but I have never had them fall out while running. Can get a bit of wine noise, when it's windy.

That doesn't bother me. Im not obsessive about sound quality so as long as it works ok Im fine. I also listen to a lot of podcasts too so sound depth etc isn't going to be a massive issue!

Associate
Got a problem with my right airpod pro in that it doesn't seem to hold charge when sitting in the case. It will charge up to 100% in the case, but if left (in the case) for a few hours it will burn down to 0% while the left one sits at 100%. If I then remove it from the case and put back in it seems to jump to high percentage very quickly then repeats over a few hours. It will also work fine playing music for hours when actually in use. Very odd!

Does that sound like a battery fault or a case charging fault? Only a couple of weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom