1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

al-qaeda militants escape from prison

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by V-Spec, 6 Feb 2006.

1. V-Spec

Mobster

2. VIRII

PermaBanned

It seems they used a mosque to aid escape or possibly the mosque dug them out.
    Very handy these sanctified religious buildings for storing guns, passports, helping terrorists etc.

3. semi-pro waster

Man of Honour

I think it is disgraceful that they used a religious building to facilitate their escape but what is your suggestion for sorting out these sanctified buildings? I can't see any religious groups being happy having their places of worship being invaded or searched which is what you would effectively have to do.

4. V-Spec

Mobster

Its just a *little* worrying that these people are now at large once again, no doubt to orchestrate more terror and gain more support.

5. Vonhelmet

Caporegime

Well, if Mosques are to be used for storing weapons and busting people out of prison, then I don't think they can claim too much protection. A warrant based on reasonable suspicion should see to that.

6. Skunkworks

Soldato

I think a mosque should be treated like any other building, because it IS just another building. It's only special in the mind of the backward savages who have been programmed from birth with this ancient hokum.

It’s 2006 FFS! Why are we still humouring this mass idiocy?

Please note I hate all religions before you start whining at me.

7. Vonhelmet

Caporegime

Your argument was holding a lot of water until you got on to the pointless rhetoric and ad hominem. Other than that, I agree. It is just another building, and shouldn't expect to be excepted from searches if they are deemed necessary.

8. Killerkebab

Sgarrista

Saying that doesn't make your argument any more credible. Quite the contrary, in fact.

9. Yas786

Caporegime

Hmmm not good news at all:(, hopefully they can catch these guys and put them behind bars once again. World would much safer if they werent running around loose.

10. robmiller

Capodecina

Are they exempt from searches?

11. VIRII

PermaBanned

It just reminded me of regents park mosque, finsbury park mosque and some seige that was held in a mosque recently where gunmen fired out from the mosque whilst others complained the police were firing back at it.

12. VIRII

PermaBanned

Searching a mosque in the UK brought huge condemnation, accusations of racism etc the last time it happened in the UK.
    Despite the fake passports and a weapon being recovered.
    I can't imagine what else would have been there had the raid actually been a suprise at the time.

13. robmiller

Capodecina

Oh ok, I thought he meant they were legally exempt.

14. semi-pro waster

Man of Honour

Using such buildings in this manner is against the teachings of the religion I believe but not being theological by nature I can't really say that for certain apart from I think that hiding weapons/helping prisoners escape is not in any way condoned by religion.

Two things do come to mind though, the mosque that helped the Al Qaeda prisoners escape was in Yemen so the legal system there will almost undoubtedly be different and secondly that in the UK(or US) I imagine that there would be an equally large furore over searching a christian church. Religion and religious buildings will always be a touchy subject so searching them or even holding them under suspicion is always likely to be contentious. I do however agree that they should be subject to exactly the same rules as anywhere else in terms of when search warrants etc can be issued however because of the sensitivity of the issue they should also be treated with care.

15. mauron

Gangster

Some time ago the police here agreed not to go into the part of the mosque where prayers are said - what a great place to store guns etc

16. Meridian

Man of Honour

Terrible - it's almost as if the Catholic Church had hidden Nazi war criminals.

M

17. VIRII

PermaBanned

News to me please elaborate.

18. @if ®afiq

Soldato

I can't remember any guns being found? Did a quick google and couldn't find anything about guns.

19. VIRII

PermaBanned

One handgun from what I recall along with a number of forged passports from Finsbury park.

20. scorza

Caporegime

Its why we need places like Guantanamo tbh :rolleyes: