Alex Scott - Question of sport

Soldato
I doubt many english people are really patriotic or give a crap about the national anthem or any other crap songs from the past.

people just dislike the BBC because they seem so anti british.

I've always considered the union jack to be tacky on any items or clothing etc

the only epic anthem is the soviet union one

Soviet anthem was amazing. I think the Italian anthem is brilliant, love the pomp. God Save The Queen is terrible. It is one of the most boring, uninspiring anthems both musically and lyrics wise. I'd love us to come up with something better, will never happen though.

Associate
I've said it before but whoever is pushing these 'woke' affirmative action programmes that essentially persecute the white majority because of their race are the real racists as they are formenting what will ultimately be a big lash back against these minorities they claim to care so much about. You guys have seen the crime documentaries right where a parent who favoured a particular son/daughter over another and the other one ends up all bitter and twisted due to the blatant favouritism?

I miss the 90's/00's when it wasn't important what skin colour you had, when someone was appointed as a presenter and their skin colour wasn't the main highlight of all of the news stories about it.

Martin Luther King will be turning in his grave, like he said it's the content of a persons character that is important and not skin colour.

I know a large portion of the forum dislike what you say because it doesn't fit their narrative, however this is so close to the truth that it's disgusting that this is the world we live in.

Like I said in another post, affirmative action or positive discrimination is never positive for anyone. There are always going to be a few stupid racists on either side of the fence, the UK 15 years ago was incredibly tolerant on the whole and there wasn't a huge amount of racism. I moved from South Africa that had bitterness and anger on both sides. Racism was a real thing and part of the country due to the horror that was apartheid. I can see the same things happening in the UK, it makes me so sad.

Soldato
I miss the 90's/00's when it wasn't important what skin colour you had, when someone was appointed as a presenter and their skin colour wasn't the main highlight of all of the news stories about it.

That's the odd thing. I genuinely saw very litte in the way of outright racism in the 90s and 00s. By all accounts it was a problem in the decades before but honestly I wasnt around to witness it.

That makes me question what I've been told about the past given the narrative the media continues to push about "widespread systemic racism" in the present and all the affirmative action and positive discrimination programmes which seem to be appearing.

When the majority of people in a country begin to feel they're actively being discriminated against you have to expect a backlash of some kind. That's why the positive discrimination programmes of the past didn't last long because all it does it create division and generate resentment when certain groups are being given advantages others aren't.

I've no idea why the concept has become fashionable again when it was demonstrated to be so counterproductive decades ago.

If she was appointed the job because of her ability and being the genuinely the best candidate then fantastic and well done for her! Given the positive discrimination programmes within many workplaces it's a shame that we have to question whether that's the case though....

Last edited:
Soldato
You honestly think everything in the 90s and 00s was amazing? What I find amazing is that clearly white guys are saying how there was no racism back then (I'm not really including you @silvagti, I don't know your posting history and you weren't raised here but I know @mmj_uk posting history) :rolleyes: You either have no non white friends or you've never asked them if they encountered racism back then or if you did you've filtered out that they looked at you open mouthed and burst out laughing. Racism might not have been so overt back then but only because more people felt they couldn't be overtly racist.

Now some of you feel you are being discriminated against because you are white, I'd love to see actual cases of this, I'm sure there are a handful but decades of non white people actually being discriminated against is irrelevant. Get over it you BAME lot, god you just love being the victims...... 'What, a white women is being replaced by a black women?!? That is racism!!!!!!' You are just as bad as the people you claim are ruining everything on the extreme opposite side of the argument.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Get over it you BAME lot, god you just love being the victims...... 'What, a white women is being replaced by a black women?!? That is racism!!!!!!' You are just as bad as the people you claim are ruining everything on the extreme opposite side of the argument.
Spot on, it's like intellectuals suddenly regress back to children on the playground.

Soldato
Now some of you feel you are being discriminated against because you are white, I'd love to see actual cases of this, I'm sure there are a handful but decades of non white people actually being discriminated against is irrelevant. Get over it you BAME lot, god you just love being the victims...... 'What, a white women is being replaced by a black women?!? That is racism!!!!!!' You are just as bad as the people you claim are ruining everything on the extreme opposite side of the argument.

Young right wing white males of today aren't the most discriminated against section of society, but they are the most pathetic whiney oh woe is me generation I've ever known.

When I was growing up in the 70's 'The Right' we're the 'hard' ones, and the criticisms of 'The Left' we're they were all tree hugging, peace loving hippies who wouldn't stand up for their beliefs. Fast forward 40 years and now all they do is whine about the violent left...."Antifa punched me while I was goose stepping with my swastika, waaaaa" "What, I can't throw bananas at black people?!? These uppity ******* just don't know their place anymore!!1!"

Soldato
Now some of you feel you are being discriminated against because you are white, I'd love to see actual cases of this

https://www.channel4.com/press/news/channel-4-commits-being-anti-racist-organisation

There you go. Racial quotas with the goal of actively seeking to preferentially employ, train and promote non-whites. 2 equally qualified people go for a job/promotion. One white; the other not. Preference will be given to the non-white person to meet these quota targets.

Positive action action i believe they call it. After deciding that "positive discrimination" was illegal, and not an acceptable term, so it's been rebranded and it's perfectly legal. In a similar vein to gender "equality' quotas. How can people not expect there to be a backlash and fallout from this kind of discrimination?

Last edited:
Soldato
You think she would have gotten the job if she weren't BAME?
What makes her unqualified or undeserving for the job? Is it all the years of her TV appearances? What about here MBE for services to football? How about the football acadamy she started years ago? How about her 140 England appearances? If she hasnt been groomed for this type or role for the last few years I cant see who else has.

How about her being inducted into the National Football Museum Hall of Fame last year?

https://shekicks.net/alex-scott-inducted-into-national-football-museum-hall-of-fame/
Alex Scott MBE, former England and Arsenal star and pioneer for women’s sports punditry, has been inducted into the National Football Museum Hall of Fame.

Scott received the award this week at a surprise ceremony held at Arsenal’s Emirates Stadium, presented to her by former team-mate, captain of Arsenal and England and fellow Hall of Famer, Faye White.

Alex Scott, said; “This is a huge honour to be inducted into the National Football Museum Hall of Fame and a massive confidence boost for me ahead of the weekend.

“To be named alongside some incredible legends of the game is something I am very proud of and is something I will treasure forever.”

Tim Desmond, CEO of the National Football Museum, said: “Alex follows Cyrille Regis as our second inductee for the refreshed Hall of Fame which aims to be more representative of those special football people who have made an outstanding contribution to the game of our lives. Alex has paved the way for women in football and led a sea change when it comes to equal and fair representation of women in sports media.”

Faye White, added; “Alex is a very worthy inductee into the Hall of Fame. She has been a trailblazer for the women’s game both on and off the field and I am proud to be able to welcome her into the club.

“You could see from her emotional reaction what it means to receive this recognition for all the hard work that she has put in over the years and she fully deserves the recognition she has received.

Alex Scott scored Arsemal’s winning goal in the 2007 UEFA Women’s Cup Final, made 140 appearances for England and since her retirement in 2017 has made a successful career in broadcast television.
I assume to you everything she has done is just because she is black? You have to remember her TV career started years before all this BLM stuff kicked off.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
And there in lies another issue with positive discrimination campaigns of the past - she'll never know her true worth.

Soldato
OP
I'm not aboard that ship, I don't think the white race is being attacked, I do think a lot of companies are trying to tick boxes to seem to be doing the right thing whatever that maybe anymore but as pretty as I find Alex Scott I just don't like her voice.

Soldato
What makes her unqualified or undeserving for the job? Is it all the years of her TV appearances? What about here MBE for services to football? How about the football acadamy she started years ago? How about her 140 England appearances? If she hasnt been groomed for this type or role for the last few years I cant see who else has.

How about her being inducted into the National Football Museum Hall of Fame last year?

https://shekicks.net/alex-scott-inducted-into-national-football-museum-hall-of-fame/I assume to you everything she has done is just because she is black? You have to remember her TV career started years before all this BLM stuff kicked off.

Exactly. She is good in front of the cameras. She clearly has a cheeky side to her which will hopefully work well with the 2 panels on the show. I don't watch it so I really don't care but she is more than qualified for the job and Sue Barker has been doing it for what seems like decades. Time to freshen it up.

I remember when Alex Scott and a couple of other women football players were bought in for the World Cup coverage. Lots of men had problems with that. I'd have an issue if they were terrible pundits and were just there because they are women but they aren't terrible and there are certainly for worse pundits ie Roy Keane, Paul Ince, Jamie Redknapp, Paul Scholes, Steve McMananman, I could honestly go on and on.

Associate
I'm not sure why the BBC are always trying to pull in the 18-35 demographic. I wouldn't be surprised if the average viewer age of QOS was 50+. If they try and change the show too much and force "banter" I can see figures dropping off a cliff. They could have brought back they think its all over or even tried a new show rather than change one that already has a good niche

Caporegime
Exactly. She is good in front of the cameras. She clearly has a cheeky side to her which will hopefully work well with the 2 panels on the show. I don't watch it so I really don't care but she is more than qualified for the job and Sue Barker has been doing it for what seems like decades. Time to freshen it up.

I remember when Alex Scott and a couple of other women football players were bought in for the World Cup coverage. Lots of men had problems with that. I'd have an issue if they were terrible pundits and were just there because they are women but they aren't terrible and there are certainly for worse pundits ie Roy Keane, Paul Ince, Jamie Redknapp, Paul Scholes, Steve McMananman, I could honestly go on and on.
Shea really good when she's on Sky Sports too. At least as good as their best pundits and far above some of their worst. I like her.

Soldato
I'm with the guy that stated she's very cliché as a commentator/talk about footy. Can predict what she'll say before the show begins.

She's pretty tasty though. :D
I also agree her voice is irritating though :p

Definitely think ticking a few diversity boxes has got her where she is today. Gave her an easy way in - brown privilege?

Back
Top Bottom