Alienware Area 51M Laptop - Specs Advice Needed

Associate
Hi all! New here. :)

I'm looking to buy the Alienware Area 51M 17-inch laptop from the Dell site at some point today but I could do with some advice on the specs (I've customised a couple from the lowest base model).

11% off now on A/W on the Dell site so the config below comes to about £2350. I know what you're thinking.. why not buy a more powerful PC for less? The answer is I need something I can take with me to other countries as I will be travelling a lot for work, and I just don't have the time to sit at a PC regardless.

Specs (I have customised the HDD, monitor and RAM):

------------------------------------
Processor: 9th Generation Intel® Core™ i9-9900K (8-Core, 16MB Cache, up to 5.0Ghz w/Turbo Boost)
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64bit, English, Dutch, French, German, Italian
Video Card: NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 2060 6GB GDDR6 (OC Ready)
Color Choice: Dark Side of the Moon
LCD: 17.3" FHD (1920 x 1080) 144Hz Anti-Glare IPS Display w/ NVIDIA G-SYNC + Tobii eyetracking technology
Driver: Killer N1550 Wireless driver
Memory: 16GB, 2x8GB, DDR4, 2400MHz
Hard Drive: 128GB PCIe M.2 SSD + 1TB (+8GB SSHD) Hybrid Drive
Wireless: Killer Wireless 1550 2x2 AC and Bluetooth 5.0
Keyboard: Alienware TactX keyboard with per-key RGB LED AlienFX lighting, anti-ghosting, N-Key UK
Extended Service: 1Y Premium Support and Onsite Service
Accidental Damage Support: 1 year Accidental Damage Protection
Primary Battery: Lithium Ion (90 Wh) Battery
AC Adapter: 180W Power Adapter and 180W Power Adapter
FGA Module: Custom BTO Configuration
Service: 1Y Collect and Return Service
Bundle: N00AW51m08
------------------------------------

If you would make alternative choices, please let me know and I'll go back to the config screen and choose other stuff, as long as you think the price hike is justified.

Thanks a lot!

Associate
OP
8700 CPU as a compromise for the higher GPU (to keep the price the same), or 8700 because it's better than the 9900?

Yeah I know they come with 2 power supplies - that sucks, won't be light. I read it's because legally they can't distribute 1 PSU with that high a wattage.

Associate
OP
Or I can get both 9900 and 2070? Guessing it'll be a couple hundred more

Edit: I'm a PS4 gamer now so this'll be a big upgrade lol. I'll probably play.... Sims, Flight Simulator X/X Plane, Overcooked 2... and the only one that actually needs a good GPU: GTA. :)

But I might get the Oculus Rift.. 2070 alright for decent VR play?

Saying that, I'll probably get the Oculus Quest instead since it's portable.. no cables

Soldato
I would go for the best screen as you can upgrade the rest :)

Apparently Dell are going to offer a service where an engineer will do the upgrades onsite. At least you know you can definitely upgrade to a 9900k and 2080.

Associate
I would go for the best screen as you can upgrade the rest :)

Apparently Dell are going to offer a service where an engineer will do the upgrades onsite. At least you know you can definitely upgrade to a 9900k and 2080.

Isn't the next gen Intel going to be a socket change?

Associate
Or I can get both 9900 and 2070? Guessing it'll be a couple hundred more

Edit: I'm a PS4 gamer now so this'll be a big upgrade lol. I'll probably play.... Sims, Flight Simulator X/X Plane, Overcooked 2... and the only one that actually needs a good GPU: GTA. :)

But I might get the Oculus Rift.. 2070 alright for decent VR play?

Saying that, I'll probably get the Oculus Quest instead since it's portable.. no cables

You can get a 9700K and an RTX 2080 for around £2,300 with a Clevo. That's vastly more gaming performance for £50 less than your Alienware.

The spec in my sig cost £2,500 with a TB of PCIe NVMe SSD's included.

Associate
OP
You can get a 9700K and an RTX 2080 for around £2,300 with a Clevo. That's vastly more gaming performance for £50 less than your Alienware.

The spec in my sig cost £2,500 with a TB of PCIe NVMe SSD's included.

Would you mind sending me the URL to where I can buy the whole thing so I can check it out? :)

Back
Top Bottom