Alienware Area-51m R2 has arrived.

Associate
So I just got it and things are looking good against the reviews of the older model already, as in normal use its just silent. Just downloading everything for testing.
If it starts getting hot first job is to undervolt vcore.

10th Gen Intel® Core™ i9 10900K (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost)

NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ 8GB GDDR6

32GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz

1TB (2x 512GB PCIe M.2 SSDs) RAID 0 [Boot] + 1TB (2x 512GB NVMe M.2 PCIe SSD) Non-Raid [Storage]

17.3" UHD (3840 x 2160) 60Hz 25ms 500-nits 100% Adobe RGB color gamut + Tobii Eyetracking technology

Them bloody bricks though, luckily one will do for normal use. Managed to get £600 odd of the price as well :)

0Ohlp9A.jpg

WlroyHn.jpg

Associate
OP
These do look great gaming laptops. How have you found the heat?

To be honest its a noisy but headphones or Tv drowns it out, just massively impressed. Brought it to play on Tv best option cause I dont want PC in living room. Heat problems may have been fixed to, after all it is a Laptop running Desktop spec.

n3bM9xt.jpg

Associate
I'm looking at the same laptop. Quick question if you don't mind. I'd like a 4k screen however I am aware newer games will struggle at 4k with the highest of settings. I won't be using an external screen so do you think games Will look okay running at 1080p on the 4k panel?

Associate
OP
I'm looking at the same laptop. Quick question if you don't mind. I'd like a 4k screen however I am aware newer games will struggle at 4k with the highest of settings. I won't be using an external screen so do you think games Will look okay running at 1080p on the 4k panel?

I can only answer on the games own,
Far Cry 5 averages 57 frames on ultra at 4K plays perfect
Far Cry 2 averages about 120 fps on ultra 4k
Skyrim, Siege of Centauri and Total War Napoleon look amazing at 4k all on ultra

Have not had any throttling issues at all yet, average CPU temp on gaming around 85 degree mark.

But it does blow a fare bit, to be expected with this spec. Im using headphones so it a none issue in gaming. Under normal use its silent and I mean silent the wife's Dell XPS annoying me lol.

I have many other games just not got around to downloading them yet and having 5 hour plus gaming session's no throttling no resets it just an amazing piece of kit full stop.

If you want anything testing just let me know, its a big investment. Plus I got £600.00 off mine I can give you the sales managers email to see if he will do you the same price.

Tried Far Cry at 1080p and it looked ***** 2560p looked ok though.

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks for the reply great to see it's running fantastic and not throttling like the a51m r1.
I know 4k performance on current games is fine it was more like games due in the next year or so like cyberpunk and watch dogs legion and so forth. I'd imagine it would be tough to run these at 4k at the higgest settings thats why I asked if the imagine quality at 1080p on a 4k screen is any good. I'd rather game at a lower res then lower graphics settings if that makes sense. I'm hoping they release the dark side of thr moon colour as i prefer it to lunar white. Glad the issue of cooling and throttling is fixed tho from the r1. It does look like a fantastic machine. I've had my GT73 for 3 years now and it's getting a little long in the tooth

Soldato
Thanks for the reply great to see it's running fantastic and not throttling like the a51m r1.
I know 4k performance on current games is fine it was more like games due in the next year or so like cyberpunk and watch dogs legion and so forth. I'd imagine it would be tough to run these at 4k at the higgest settings thats why I asked if the imagine quality at 1080p on a 4k screen is any good. I'd rather game at a lower res then lower graphics settings if that makes sense. I'm hoping they release the dark side of thr moon colour as i prefer it to lunar white. Glad the issue of cooling and throttling is fixed tho from the r1. It does look like a fantastic machine. I've had my GT73 for 3 years now and it's getting a little long in the tooth

I have the m15 r2 with 4k oled screen and 2080 maxq. I play 1080p on most modern games on the screen and it looks great in all honesty. I think because of the size of the screen you don't really notice you are rendering the game in 1080p on a 15 inch 4k panel.

Associate
I have the m15 r2 with 4k oled screen and 2080 maxq. I play 1080p on most modern games on the screen and it looks great in all honesty. I think because of the size of the screen you don't really notice you are rendering the game in 1080p on a 15 inch 4k panel.

Perfect thanks for the info. Thats my biggest worry. Spending so much on a laptop and then gaming on a 4k screen at 1080 would look rubbish. Obviously a lot of games will be fine at 4k but it was just newer stuff I was concerned about.

Thanks again for the reply

Back
Top Bottom