All change on Soccer Saturday

Don
I think it's quite telling that you all talk about the chemistry between the panel rather than the quality of the punditry because that was something always lacking. Hopefully Sky have decided to turn soccer saturday into a proper football show rather than just a few of the old boys having a bit of banter between themselves. You've still got the village idiot in Merson and the genuinely funny Kamara around, I'm not sure I'll miss any of the others.

Caporegime
I think it'll get real boring, real quick. They've tried a different panel on weekdays when Stelling isn't even there and it's noway near as entertaining imo.

If I wanted seriousness I could just listen to the actual game commentary.

Soldato
I think it's quite telling that you all talk about the chemistry between the panel rather than the quality of the punditry because that was something always lacking. Hopefully Sky have decided to turn soccer saturday into a proper football show rather than just a few of the old boys having a bit of banter between themselves. You've still got the village idiot in Merson and the genuinely funny Kamara around, I'm not sure I'll miss any of the others.
Top Gear wouldn't have been anywhere near as popular as it was if it was just 3 guys with expert knowledge on cars. I doubt anyone is watching Soccer Saturday for it's expert punditry. It's for up to date scores and the occasional laugh.

Soldato
You watch Soccer Saturday for the banter. Not for professional punditry. It will be very interesting to see who they bring in... I suppose I'll have to wait for the new line up before I slate them, but I can only imagine the sort of people they have lined up.

Man of Honour
OP

I agree with what you are saying, the quality of the punditry wasnt great but that really isnt the primary reason that I watch soccer saturday, for SS I watch for the pub-like banter, the over the top reactions, the friendly ribbing of each other. For me its an entertainment program which simply has football matches as its backdrop. Its that banter and friendly ribbing etc that I will miss, unless the new panel produce the same of course.

Soldato
From what I saw in the hotel they stayed at there was no chemistry off camera :p several times I stayed and they all sat at separate tables at breakfast time hardly even acknowledging each other.

Granted this was servers years ago still funny though when I saw them on tv a few hours later being all pally

Caporegime
I'm hoping these sexist comments are sarcasm...
Some of them won’t be.

I actually like Alex Scott, she’s smart and knowledgable. It remains to be seen who they will get to replace them but I noticed that every match shown after the whole BLM thing had at least one black person as a pundit. I suspect it will be much the same on soccer Saturday with one black pundit and likely one woman too.

Soldato
Some of them won’t be.

I actually like Alex Scott, she’s smart and knowledgable. It remains to be seen who they will get to replace them but I noticed that every match shown after the whole BLM thing had at least one black person as a pundit. I suspect it will be much the same on soccer Saturday with one black pundit and likely one woman too.

If you have an issue with a pundit then say why. To simply say:

Is it going to be women on the panel :(

That's just sexist nonsense. The outrage on the usual channels has been embarrassing. Imagine being angry because Nicholas and Thomson are no longer on a show. They talk utter driver with no substance to anything they say. Merson still being on there is the only thing wrong here.

Caporegime
If you have an issue with a pundit then say why. To simply say:

That's just sexist nonsense. The outrage on the usual channels has been embarrassing. Imagine being angry because Nicholas and Thomson are no longer on a show. They talk utter driver with no substance to anything they say. Merson still being on there is the only thing wrong here.
Either the comic relief or they’re using him to hit the mental health angle. Or fear he’d go back to drinking and gambling if they cut him. He was actually one of the worst. Can’t even pronounce some players names, forgetful a lot, often doesn’t make sense or rambles on. Phil Thompson was actually quite good, Charlie Nicholas not so much. Le Tiss was also quite good, but really it was all held together by Jeff.

Back
Top Bottom