All Games stutter.

Associate
Hi, since buying a new rig in January I've had a major issue where every game I play hitches and stutters intermittently (even Doom remake occasionally hitches).

Black screens occasionally too, love you AMD.

Got my first PC over 20 years ago and I feel I'm decent at troubleshooting. But I've never had a pc that stutters like this one. Honestly feel like a console would be a good choice atm as this is silly. And expensive.

I really want to blame the Powercolor Red Dragon 5700xt fail of a gpu, but I cant be sure that's the issue as the whole rig is 'new'.

Super position benchmark (free version 1080p medium I think) stutters twice on scene 10 EVERY run dropping minimum framerate by ~30.

Red Dead 2 Bench stutters as Arthur turns left before the shootout with the final paddy wagon.. again this happens every time a bench is ran, regardless of resolution or settings.

These 2 are 100% repeatable. Other games are more random but ALL games stutter

Specs:

Corsair rm750x psu
Tomahawk b450 max mobo (pcie gen 3 enabled instead of auto)
Ryzen 3600 cpu (stock)
16gb Patriot 3600mhz (can get exact specs if needed) | Xmp or stock = same results
Addlink s70 500gb nvme (Win 10 and rdr2)
Kingston a400 500gb ssd (other games/storage)
^^^^ I know the Kingston is a bit rubbish ^^^^ I've tried without it connected ^^^^

Antec 1200 case with the 200mm top fan and a cooler master 212 black rgb cooler.

And... drum roll please... the wonderful 5700 xt. Really hoping ATI radeon/AMD didn't RIP me off as I this thing is daft.. will it forget my Wattman undervolt (Gpu Hotspot sure gets hot) settings today? Maybe. Will it cook my gpu with a flat 20% fan 'curve' as it tried to do the other month? Definetly. Stupid drivers I can understand but its September 2020 now, one of them should have worked..

Anyway, I've been through so many fixes, it's getting daft now and I'm unloading 8 months of frustration out on innocent people on the overclockers forum. So if any wizards can fix it or confirm what's wrong, I will buy you a crate of beer and drive it to your door. Seriously. I'll gift wrap each individual bottle too.

Thanks for reading

Associate
Run some monitoring software while gaming, after it's happened, it may give you an idea of whats happening. MSI afterburner I think has monitoring options.

Permabanned
I am wondering if this is windows or something else running on the PC, so this is probably a place to start.

Soldato
Sounds like youve tried a lot, I can only suggest make sure all the hardware is seated properly, make sure all cables in, graphics card ram all in.

Try different graphics drivers.

Try reinstall windows.

Then it's a case of testing if you have any spares, onboard graphics (not sure if your motherboard does) or old GPU you can get your hands on?

Try running with various combinations of RAM slots, just 1 in etc.

Basically try and eliminate the possibilities one by one, yes it's going to be a complete ball ache as that isn't an obvious problem.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies guys, I've been monitoring with AB for a while now and always see frametime spikes that coincide with the hitching. I've used latencymon before but wasn't sure if the results were ok or not. Will download again tonight and post my numbers asap.

Tested on my dell 165hz with custom resolution tweaked to 120hz 1440p, to stop the vram from sitting at max clocks.

Also tested on a 60hz 4k tv. Vsync on and off.

I will go do latency mon stuff. Thanks again

Edit: I'm on my 4th windows install since January :D tried drivers back to 19.12.x if I recall. I'm sure I've got enough parts to set up my old 4690k system

Last edited:
Associate
One thing would give u a good idea is trying your gpu on a different pc.
I know some times its not as easy as it sounds.

Soldato
Find a GPU secondhand, anything game capable at minimal cost, one way or another it'll provide some insight into what's happening. Short of access to another PC to swap hardware with, you're limited to how far you can test.

Associate
You using ddu or the inbuilt removal tool when you replace the gcard drivers had stuttering when i havent.

Try disabling all the settings in Radeon software, such as Chill, Tesselation, Freesync, etc.
Apologies if already tried.

second this some of these settings produce weird stutter for me

Associate
also what version of Radeon Software are you running, I am running 20.5.1 The May release from 2020
I had issues with my 5700XT, that seems to be the most stable driver that I can find atm
The other wonderful thing is that Radeon Wattman Overclocking facility in the Radeon program seems to store any overclock you do on each game if you have clicked the game from the games list and click tuning, you may be running an unsuccessful Overclock/undervolt as there is a seperate Global setting for overclocking too.
I know your pain, I was about ready to throw my 5700XT Gaming X out the window until I found a working stable driver version for my game

Associate
OP
Ok so I'm going to build my old 4690 system this afternoon/evening as it was always solid, so I can try the gpu in a different rig. A friend said he's got an old 280x I can test. Same kind of wattage.

Also I ran latencymon while playing BF4 and rocket league:

Time ran : 1.12.21

Highest interrupt to process: 318.825
Highest isr: 92.48 = hdaudiobus.sys
Highest dpc 594.25 = ntoskrnl.exe
Hardpagefault count : 24,361!! Da fork?

Running 20.4.2 atm. I did go through a phase of setting Wattman for each game individually (fan curve, underclocked and undervolted). I'm using a .50 undervolt globally (0 individual game profiles), with 2000 mhz clock speed. Default is 2071mhz at 1.200v

Freesync is disabled globally through adrenalin and turned off on the monitor as it has a stupid LFC brightness flicker (especially obvious when stuttering happens as it drops from high fps ~120 and within freesync range to low fps 40 - 60)

Can't run my 165hz monitor above 120hz hahaha thanks AMD :D

Will try disabling tesselation in adrenalin also.

Thanks again for helping.

Using ddu in safe mode, chill disabled for everything except kerbal space program (I expect unity garbage collection stutters and a 6.7fps average in this game)

Last edited:
Associate
are you using the cable that came with the card?
I just updated to Radeon 20.9.2 will do some testing and see if that is more stable. But I feel you bro. I'm looking at my rtx 1070 and thinking of reinstalling that

Associate
OP
are you using the cable that came with the card?
I just updated to Radeon 20.9.2 will do some testing and see if that is more stable. But I feel you bro. I'm looking at my rtx 1070 and thinking of reinstalling that

Hi mate, the Joy's of the 5700 are limitless lol. I replaced the original monitor DP cable within a month to a connect 3d 1.4 cable, for the hdr, high res, freesynced goodness...

Funny enough I installed the 20.9.2 earlier and on rebooting I could only select 60hz at any res. Tried using custom resolution utility (usually use this program to drop refresh from 164 down to 120 otherwise the vram runs full speed) and upon rebooting the screen was messed up, not classic artifacting, more like it was a frequency issue idk.. kinda like it wanted cut out and black screen.. anyway I shut down pc and changed the displayport on the gpu and it restarted at 164hz...

Endless confusion tbh. Got a 280x to babysit for a few days so I'll update after checking that.

Thanks

Associate
What monitor is it you have? Are you using the manufacturer's drivers, or the Windows installed?
20.9.2 fixed a lot of issues for me, I even managed 5hrs on RDR2 until it crashed XD

Associate
I have the same CPU and GPU combo, I have the same stutter at the point you describe on RDR2 but none of the other issues so I wouldn't worry too much about that one, I guess its related to speed or bandwidth on the card.

Are you using 2 individual 8-pins for the card or one cable with 2 plugs?

Try removing each stick of ram and running at stock 2133mhz - dodgy ram can do all sorts of weird things.

In your second post the "Hardpagefaultcount" would point at something to do with ram, maybe run memtest too.

Associate
OP
It's a dell s3220dgf with dell drivers. I use 2 pcie power cables.

Definitely appears that the 1st displayport is broken now after updating to 20.9.2, could be coincidental. Only displays at 60hz.

Memory passes 4 runs of memtest at xmp. Will try 1 stick at a time at default speed.

St Denis stutters randomly at street junctions mostly. But can stutter at any moment tbh, could be mounting my horse and it might stutter. Immersion ruined everytime.. escape key and quit to desktop.

I haven't tested 20.9.2 much yet tho as this system has killed my enthusiasm for it. Kinda just expect a stutter in games now, which always just results in me whacking the escape key and quitting to desktop.

Jiggy the hardpagefaultcount worries me, is that purely Ram related then?

Will update this evening, thanks again for your time guys

Back
Top Bottom