All sorted. Thanks. Feel free to delete

Soldato
@spoffle With Lego, I can identify the pieces ;)

This is like playing Lego without being able to see or touch it. I know so little about computers, despite reading as much as I can about them. (much conflicting info)
Building a computer is less difficult than a lego set. It might seem intimidating, but it really is very easy. I've been building PCs since I was 12.

Soldato
Xantine,

Ignore the advice to build the computer yourself, if your not comfortable it's not worth trying. The other posters are not putting themselves in your shoes.

You need a pre-build of some description, have a look at Dell website for one of there i3 machines.

The HP you listed for $450 is not that bad, and those HP's are built better then certainly budget computers. The issue is poor graphics card speed so it's only any good for general windows work such as word processing and internet.

Associate
Oh. Huh. So ram and ssd are easier to add than the graphics card? That's so opposite to what the stores try to say.

They're all easy to add. Anybody who tells you that anything outside of custom water cooling is "hard" when it comes to building pc's is trying to rip you off. Again, buy used parts, build it yourself. It's not hard.

I notice you're in Canada. Sent you a private message.

Soldato
Again, buy used parts, build it yourself. It's not hard.

Some people are not very good at some things however. For example I have a family member that struggles to even use windows. Other people can't even change a tyre on a car, or check the anti freeze. There are others who can't even fill the radiator pressure up on their central heating, or iron a shirt.

Think of the worse person you know at computers, then tell them about not bending a CPU motherboard pin, or not putting there hand on contacts due to ESD, or telling them to set the BIOS. Then what happens if it does not post, they are not in a position to start swapping components out.

Associate
OP
@JasonM thank you so much. That's very much the case. You get something most folks don't.

I can hunt, clean, and butcher a moose. I can live alone in the forest in the winter without supplies. I can look at you for a minute and tell you where it would hurt most to touch you.

But I can't look at a computer and tell you where the video card is. I'm fine with that. I'll pay for my ignorance but make it up elsewhere. ;p

I bought something. Thanks y'all. Next time you need to skin something, let me know ;p

Soldato
Xantine,

Ignore the advice to build the computer yourself, if your not comfortable it's not worth trying. The other posters are not putting themselves in your shoes.

You need a pre-build of some description, have a look at Dell website for one of there i3 machines.

The HP you listed for $450 is not that bad, and those HP's are built better then certainly budget computers. The issue is poor graphics card speed so it's only any good for general windows work such as word processing and internet.
And people will never get better at the things they struggle with, or will never try new things with this attitude. You're enabling and encouraging it.

Give the guy a bit of credit, the type of person you're talking about isn't that common.

Soldato
@JasonM thank you so much. That's very much the case. You get something most folks don't.

I can hunt, clean, and butcher a moose. I can live alone in the forest in the winter without supplies. I can look at you for a minute and tell you where it would hurt most to touch you.

But I can't look at a computer and tell you where the video card is. I'm fine with that. I'll pay for my ignorance but make it up elsewhere. ;p

I bought something. Thanks y'all. Next time you need to skin something, let me know ;p
Why would you expect to understand something you don't have experience with?

The point people are making is that it's significantly easier and more straightforward than you think. All the things you've described, except for the keyboard warrior angled stuff, is more complicated and difficult than building a PC.

Associate
OP
@spoffle yeah, it's a good point, not learning what we don't try. But for me, I have a lot of things on my plate and no interest in learning how to build a computer. The last time I got one was 12 years ago. It's worth it to me to pay for the trouble of not having to assemble it. I don't need anything super fancy.

Keyboard warrior? Huh?

Associate
I'm a complete noob, unfortunately. Building a pc is massively intimidating for me. Looking at Newegg now, but I can't see a better option there?

I understand your position. It is intimidating, especially the thought of spending in excess $500 and messing it all up.

You needn't worry. I would suggest you watch live pc builds such as:
https://youtu.be/r4MTvj3zIZw
And
https://youtu.be/IhX0fOUYd8Q

Get familiar with what goes where, which is the most important part and it should be a breeze.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom