All Three One Plans to be cancelled from today

Soldato
With 4G you can easy mash through 50GB a day.

Doing what exactly? Do people just download excessive amounts of data because they can? surely its not out of necessity...

I'm in agreement with a few of the others on here - its been killed off because of the greedy few who are using tethering on a phone contract for their PC's.
Yes you could argue that they shouldn't call it unlimited but I guess they didn't expect it to be abused in the way it has been and 10% of users accounting for 60% of data usage across the network is definite abuse!

Man of Honour
Doing what exactly? Do people just download excessive amounts of data because they can? surely its not out of necessity...

I'm in agreement with a few of the others on here - its been killed off because of the greedy few who are using tethering on a phone contract for their PC's.
Yes you could argue that they shouldn't call it unlimited but I guess they didn't expect it to be abused in the way it has been and 10% of users accounting for 60% of data usage across the network is definite abuse!

Yes its out of necessity and no its not downloading anything. It's streaming video.
And no its not to the PC but a tablet. Removing the tethering will barely reduce my limit. Just means I have to watch on a 6" screen, which is just not big enough. Maybe not 50GB but its over 1GB an hour so soon adds up especially on silly shifts like this, 12hrs with 5mins of work at either end.

Last edited:
Caporegime
How can you call people greedy for using it for their PC's? How's it greedy to get faster speeds cheaper? What's greedy is punishing people for it and trying to get them to buy a cellular tablet and charge them for another sim, and the massive massive profits these companies continue to make.

I rarely tether, in fact I have just a simple 1GB 3G data tarrif, but I've used unlimited tethering before on Holiday to watch Netflix during the nights etc, we went through 10GB easy on 3G, and that's when the speed got capped.

We're getting to a point where companies are pushing us to streaming etc, doing stuff on the go. But other companies are pushing other ways and preventing us from doing so. It's getting ridiculous.

Common sense seems to have been removed almost entirely from the world.

Last edited:
Soldato
This is very frustrating.

I hardly ever tether and if I do, it's usually just to send small work emails when documents I need to attach are on my work laptop. I like unlimited purely for the fact I don't have to bother worrying about how much data I've used, even though I don't hammer YouTube, Netflix or any other data hungry apps.

Soldato
Between home broadband and pretty much every pub/coffee shop/library/restaurant (ie. anywhere I'm likely to sit down and stream something to my phone) offering free WiFi, my usage is quite low I'd imagine! (although I do occasionally let the missus tether to my phone coz she's only got circa a 250kb allowance on her rubbish tariff! ;))

I'm paying £18 p/m on a rolling monthly SIM-only plan for 2000 mins, unlimited texts and all-you-can-eat data - the biggest draw for me at the moment is the fact that I can use my included usage abroad at no extra cost!!

No text either way though so I guess I'm OK for now!

Last edited:
Soldato
About time. Mobile networks should supply data for mobile devices. There may be a gap in the market for someone to provide a tethering option for those who genuinely need it, but I don't think it's fair on these networks to have to support 100s of GBs a week to users who are streaming Netflix and such to 42" screens.

It is abuse. 4gb seems fair to me. Leave three if you want, who's going to offer anything near to the speed and allowance at what some are asking

Last edited:
Associate
A bit of a spanner in the works. I live in a remote area with a 250KB connection, towns and cities get faster and faster while our connection was upgraded once and that was from dialup 15 years ago! Can't even watch YouTube on the lowest setting. With three I can get up to 20MB download speed so is the only option for a fast connection. Looks like I will have to get one of their mobile dongles but they're capped at 15GB per month.

Last edited:
Associate
I've not received any text message about this from Three, but that might be down to my current OnePlan contract ending on the 25th. Still, it gives me the impetus to check around for any better deals.

Soldato
Not a tetherer either.

The Less people on the system will hopefully free up some space for the rest of us that just use our data for phones and 'data enabled' tablets and not Teathered PC's

Agreed. Using tether for anymore than 10GB/m mean you should have a dedicated service IMO.

Caporegime
I'm confused by this dedicated service?

How do I get unlimited internet onto my Surface 3 then lads? If I cared enough, I'd have an unlimited 3G phone contract, but lets for arguments sake say I do care. Without the option for tethering, what do I do? And before anyone suggests a dongle, I'd be using the same data towers as I would on the phone tarrif, it also removes my 1 USB port. Not good enough.

Man of Honour
Not looked into it however my point is 3 tethering isn't one.

Of course it was.
It was a contract that offered unlimited. It didn't offer 10GB etc.

And there is no dedicated service. Even there mobile broadband 4g is run on the same network and has tiny limits.

Soldato
Have you called around for such a service? You may have to pay through the nose but it could be out there.

It's like washing a car with 500ml bottles of Evian. It works but it's not what it's meant for.

Man of Honour
What utter nonsense. It works great.

And no, three was the last one to offer unlimited.
As I said this won't change my usage. It just means I have to watch on my phone screen rather than on the tablet. Which is far from ideal.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom