All Three One Plans to be cancelled from today

Soldato
Yeah they aren't doing away with unlimited mobile data contracts. Just unlimited tethering

There is a gap in the market for users who really need a tethered service but none of the current providers seem interested. Buy up data sims off ebay or amazon or start looking into satellite broadband for your Internet needs. Quick search shows £69pm for unlimited data at 20mbps + hardware costs

Also EE really do want you to watch on the go but they also want to charge you per Mb for the convenience

Last edited:

Sho

Sho

Soldato
From Digital Spy Forum

I just called them to find out what my options were. Currently on a 1 month One Plan at £15 per month. Use about 3-4GB of data, 400mins, and about 200 texts per month. Hardly ever use tethering but occasionally use it with my iPad.

They offered me:
Unlimited mins, texts, internet
4GB hotspot
0800 numbers for free
084/087 5p per min

This will still cost me £15 per month on a 30 day rolling contract. I've accepted it because I don't think there's anything better out there for me.

Hope that helps...

For £15 don't see any other network beat it imo. As long i can get it for that price i'll continue to use Three. Yes losing unlimited Tethering, but still get 4Gb, for me its enough as i don't use it as much

Man of Honour
Yeah they aren't doing away with unlimited mobile data contracts. Just unlimited tethering

There is a gap in the market for users who really need a tethered service but none of the current providers seem interested. Buy up data sims off ebay or amazon or start looking into satellite broadband for your Internet needs. Quick search shows £69pm for unlimited data at 20mbps + hardware costs

Also EE really do want you to watch on the go but they also want to charge you per Mb for the convenience

Satellite broadband is in no way mobile.

Soldato
And neither are many of those who use tethering as their main connection to stream netfilx, skygo or even torrents in the house.

If you want to watch something on a tablet while on the move that badly copy it over before you leave? Surely this would give you a better viewing experience anyway

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Copy it over? Yeah as that's practice and cheap, oh wait. Netflix £6 a month, or buy films at like £6 each, then there's the space issue.
I have lots of shifts I do nothing. So watch Netflix all day. Like today, like Friday and like Saturday will be.

Soldato
Copy it over? Yeah as that's practice and cheap, oh wait. Netflix £6 a month, or buy films at like £6 each, then there's the space issue.
I have lots of shifts I do nothing. So watch Netflix all day. Like today, like Friday and like Saturday will be.

so you basically get paid to watch TV and you feel you have somthing to complain about? no violins for you sir...

Soldato
Cant argue with that then, if you get paid to watch netflix all day your on a winner!

All of the networks clearly agree that this is not the purpose of unlimited tethered data, It probably costs them a bomb and is detrimental to network performance for others.

Man of Honour
Not every shift. Not even the majority of shifts, and try it some time, it is boring as hell.

Of course it's the purpose, even the TV adds encourage you to stream movies, then don't give you the data to achieve it.

Soldato
Not on tethered devices! Never saw Kevin Bacon sitting with a laptop on the bus. With a mobile or Sim enabled tablet you can steam away until your heart is content, unlimited
And you still can tether just cough up per GB used

Last edited:
Soldato
The main issue for me is that there is no viable option for those of us who have access to no landline internet (myself included, due to temporary accommodation). If there were another option here it wouldn't be a big deal.
Currently as far as I can tell, options include paying £7.50/month for 1GB for (PC) data via someone like GiffGaff, or £31/month for 10GB via EE (£15/month for 3GB on a dedicated data sim), and all of these would require purchasing multiple contracts and the like. It's just not workable.

Man of Honour
Not on tethered devices! Never saw Kevin Bacon sitting with a laptop on the bus. With a mobile or Sim enabled tablet you can steam away until your heart is content
And you still can tether just cough up per GB used

It makes zero difference, do you really think it uses more data to tether? HD screen or HD screen doing the same thing.
As I said this move will reduce my data usage by zero. It just inconvencies me. As I'll have to watch stiff in the phone compared to tablet.
Data limits should be allowed on anything as it really does make zero difference what device you use it on.

Will have to look into screen projector apps.

Man of Honour
Well this sucks. Does anyone have unlimited tethering? 4GB just isn't enough.

Thanks for spoiling it for everyone else - the reason this has happened is precisely because people consumed vast quantities of tethered data. It was never sustainable when people used it instead of home internet or in order to watch high definition movies on a laptop all day.

Last edited:
Caporegime
[TW]Fox;27165647 said:
Thanks for spoiling it for everyone else - the reason this has happened is precisely because people consumed vast quantities of tethered data.

Balderdash. What's it matter that it's on their device via a tether or on their native device? It really doesn't.

Back
Top Bottom