All Three One Plans to be cancelled from today

Soldato
[TW]Fox;27165647 said:
Thanks for spoiling it for everyone else - the reason this has happened is precisely because people consumed vast quantities of tethered data. It was never sustainable when people used it instead of home internet or in order to watch high definition movies on a laptop all day.

I'm of the same opinion, I've been with three for 3 years now and I know when I come to upgrading my tethering will be cut to 4gb due to abuse.

Man of Honour
[TW]Fox;27165647 said:
Thanks for spoiling it for everyone else - the reason this has happened is precisely because people consumed vast quantities of tethered data. It was never sustainable when people used it instead of home internet or in order to watch high definition movies on a laptop all day.

:rolleyes: what absolute rubbish. It's called unlimited and I pay for an unlimited contract as that's what I need. Average of high 20s is in no way taking the pee on an unlimited contract.

Do you only use 4gb on your home broadband? Even though you've paid for unlimited?
I've got no issue if they want to up the price.
What I take offence to is a) they don't offer it. b) they split the data there should be no difference between phone and tether, your paying for data, makes zero difference how you use that data.

Last edited:
Soldato
It makes zero difference, do you really think it uses more data to tether? HD screen or HD screen doing the same thing.
As I said this move will reduce my data usage by zero. It just inconvencies me. As I'll have to watch stiff in the phone compared to tablet.
Data limits should be allowed on anything as it really does make zero difference what device you use it on.

Will have to look into screen projector apps.

USB-HDMI cables are readily available, that's probably what you need. Less reliable/easy to use compared to just using a PC but there you go.

Looks like £5/GB for extra internet from 3 - I can't imagine their cost of providing internet is near even a tenth of that cost, or they would be bankrupt based on the number of people apparently using hundreds of gigabytes of data for £15/month at the moment! Surely charging such excessive amounts is counterproductive.

Ignoring tethering for a moment, a serious issue with this is the pricing structure.
I currently pay £18/month for a 1 month rolling One Plan with unlimited data, 5000 3-3 minutes, 2000 other minutes and 5000 texts/month.
My options with the new contract are to pay £23 for unlimited data, 600 minutes and unlimited texts, or £28 for unlimited data, unlimited minutes and unlimited texts.
Like I suspect the vast majority of users, I don't get anywhere near my current minute or text allowance. So I'm left with the option of paying an extra £10/month for at best the same service.
And that's before the removal of unlimited tethering, obviously.

Man of Honour
Balderdash. What's it matter that it's on their device via a tether or on their native device? It really doesn't.

No, it doesn't, but it's enormously more easy to use huge amounts of data sitting at a PC than it is with a phone in your hand. That's the difference.

It was never intended to be a replacement for peoples home internet connections. They were slightly naive in not realising what some people would do, but there we go.

The tragedy of the commons is an economics theory by Garrett Hardin, according to which individuals, acting independently and rationally according to each one's self-interest, behave contrary to the whole group's long-term best interests by depleting some common resource.

Mobster
Soldato
Then you cannot have a go at him for using a lot of data; Three should never have offered it if they feared issues arising.

The fact is, it's a money making exercise. They provided unlimited tethering as a USP to get customers.

They now no longer require said USP as people are going to Three for other reasons (better coverage, etc.).

Soldato
I understand that it doesn't make a difference on mobile or tethering however all these networks must think it does or people are using it for torrenting and other stuff more than we think. May be it would help if they came out with more reasons.

Realistically your not going to watch a boxset in the space of a week or month on a mobile device during a commute. When you scale that upto a 42" screen in the living room you could watch entire seasons in a day or weekend. So yes its the same amount but spread over a much longer timeframe on mobiles, not concentrated every evening and all weekend

I do feel for those who need this in the house because the landline isnt up to it, but again none of the networks feel there is a market for this or they would offer it

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Why not just come out with a plan with like 60GB on phone/tethering for £35 or something. That way it's not advertised as unlimited and also stop the people using it as main internet which could easily be several hundred GB. And for people like me who want large amounts, there's actually a sensible plan.

I would rather lose unlimited but have a large data cap, than unlimited just on phone.

Soldato
I think this is an excellent move.

4G networks are for MOBILE internet. Not cheapskates who think it's a hard-line replacement and they don't want to pay for a hard-line. I don't care if you were advertised "unlimited" because it's unlimited MOBILE data, you don't use it when you're at home or work or within a the scope of a hard-line, and I believe cancelling this stuff will definitely improve the services.

This move should improve data speeds for normal users.

Amen to that. Bring it on.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
In scope of a hard line, what an idiotic comment, we don't all work in fixed places, let alone offices. It most certainly comes under mobile with zero chance of landline. Unless I get a new landline connected to a new remote location most shifts.

Have you girl any clue how many mobile workers there are. Just think how many lorry drivers there are, let alone any other mobile workforce.

Associate
This reminds me of the days of unlimited ADSL 512K services :) and then the move to 2Mb services which then came with caps. They all eventually folded as it was unstainable. I feel for those whom can`t get a decent BB service but IMO they will be the minority in Three`s case. I read a lot of the forums on here,even though I don`t post a lot but some folk don`t have rip it. Was never going to last!!

Soldato
In scope of a hard line, what an idiotic comment, we don't all work in fixed places, let alone offices. It most certainly comes under mobile with zero chance of landline. Unless I get a new landline connected to a new remote location most shifts.

Have you girl any clue how many mobile workers there are. Just think how many lorry drivers there are, let alone any other mobile workforce.

what are you on about?

I'm specifically excluding people who are actually mobile. I'm saying people who aren't mobile and/or in the presence of a hard-line are bad for hammering mobile services... and then you list a lorry driver and mobile workforces as an argument?

lol.

What I'm trying to say is that the guy in the office should be hammering his hard-line and should be keeping the 4G for the lorry driver parked outside his office.

Last edited:
Soldato
4G networks are for MOBILE internet.

You should probably tell the networks as they advertise it as 'broadband' (for mobile and home use) and similarly there's ISP's like Relish and others around the global that use 4G specifically to provide broadband connections to homes and offices.
So no, the technology isn't just for mobile use.

Soldato
IMPORTANT UPDATE:

We have now also had the chance to speak with Three and been informed that only customers who are out of contract are being contacted for this so far, anyone still within their minimum term will keep the One Plan until the commitment period is over and will then have the option to move or cancel the contract.

source: http://www.coolsmartphone.com/2014/11/05/three-removing-one-plan-tariff-for-customers/

if true, i have till March 2015,

although to be fair id he happy with unlimited everything and 4Gb tethering for £15 per month, sim only and rolling contract

Soldato
It isn't just about usage. Multiple people who download via tethering can cripple a mast tower.

Tethered use is very often different from from mobile use. People download 10GB+ games, watch 1080p video on youtube, download via usenet, spend hours watching netflix etc.

These are all things you wouldn't normally do on a mobile device.

I left three twice because the speeds in dense residential areas was serverely crippled in the evenings.

Last edited:
Soldato
You should probably tell the networks as they advertise it as 'broadband' (for mobile and home use) and similarly there's ISP's like Relish and others around the global that use 4G specifically to provide broadband connections to homes and offices.
So no, the technology isn't just for mobile use.

Yet only Relish who operate in a small area, offer unlimited data.

50GB on EE will set you back £50 a month. Mobile broadband is more expensive than a hardline because of underlyinh costs.

The One Plan was never a mobile broadband plan.

Soldato
what are you on about?

I'm specifically excluding people who are actually mobile. I'm saying people who aren't mobile and/or in the presence of a hard-line are bad for hammering mobile services... and then you list a lorry driver and mobile workforces as an argument?

lol.

What I'm trying to say is that the guy in the office should be hammering his hard-line and should be keeping the 4G for the lorry driver parked outside his office.

Why? Why should he?

Exactly. The guy in the office probably isn't allowed to use the internet for streaming, so the fact he's in an office is irrelevant.

Then there's the fact that he's paid for unlimited internet and tethering, complaining he's using too much is ****ing stupid. Companies shouldn't offer unlimited products and then complain that people use too much.

Back
Top Bottom