Alonso to return to F1 in 2021

Man of Honour
I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the car this year - there seems to be some bad blood between Renault/Riccardo.
Hell the way things are going I wouldn't be surprised to see Vettel put on gardening leave, Sainz to Ferrari, Riccardo into McLaren and Alonso in to Renault this year...

Caporegime
Hmm. Not sure this is a good move for either of them. Good publicity perhaps but I doubt Fernando will be too accepting of fighting for a couple of points every weekend.

I haven’t read the article but heard there may be some financial incentive from Liberty to Alonso with Liberty paying part of his Salary. A slippery slope.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'll believe it when he's doing a lap in Q1 in 2021.

Best we wait for official confirmation even if it's most likely credible.

Hmm. Not sure this is a good move for either of them. Good publicity perhaps but I doubt Fernando will be too accepting of fighting for a couple of points every weekend.

My guess is that he's pinning his hopes on 2022 when the new regs come in.

Caporegime
Best we wait for official confirmation even if it's most likely credible.

My guess is that he's pinning his hopes on 2022 when the new regs come in.
Renault have consistently shown they’re poor at adapting to new regulations due to not investing enough early enough. I doubt that is going to change.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Sigh, bad news. Complete waste of a seat, can't stand hearing his name all the damn time. Way overrated imo and has served his time. As we have seen with the current set of young guns putting on a great show all over the grid we don't need these entitled dinosaurs bringing back their politics and tantrums.

He showed himself up at McLaren (for a second time). He's not a great ambassador for the sport and not a team player. Renault deserve him then I guess, but I'd rather someone new had their chance.

Soldato
Renault have consistently shown they’re poor at adapting to new regulations due to not investing enough early enough. I doubt that is going to change.

Agree, I'm pretty sure Alonso has his concerns and would have spoken to other teams prior to signing. This is most likely his only or best option if he wants to race in F1 again.

Associate
Forthcoming budget caps will change the game too. Teams like RB / Ferrari / Mercedes are used to spending huge amounts of money to develop the car, other less rich teams are used to operating within a tight budget limit. Time will tell how the big teams handle that.

Caporegime
Forthcoming budget caps will change the game too. Teams like RB / Ferrari / Mercedes are used to spending huge amounts of money to develop the car, other less rich teams are used to operating within a tight budget limit. Time will tell how the big teams handle that.
You can be sure the big teams are pouring massive amounts into development now, before the cap and before the new regulations. Sure it’s going to even things out but stable regulations do that too. Eventually anyway.

Caporegime
As a Renault supporter I'm not sure about this.

Back when Renault won the championship he was an asset. I remember those days so well. I couldn't believe it, Alonso won the WDC and brought home the WCC against Schumacher. I loved Alonso. But he hadn't got a big head by that point.

Then he went down hill. Making bad decisions, not all his fault, but creating a wake of turmoil for the teams he left.

Not only that, his performance, salary bill combo is surely a big risk.
Id rather have seen some fresh new talent (ie a lando) than Alonso.

What's worse than vettel?.. Alonso not performing AND the toys coming out AND a big salary bill (at same time as laying off 100s of staff)

I HOPE its a GOOD decision, I THINK it's the WRONG decision

Soldato
I guess he just wants to have his proverbial hat in the ring for when the regulations change for 2022. It’s probably easier to get a seat at a team when you are already in F1 as opposed to getting one when you aren’t.

Although we are talking about alonso here. So Ferrari, RB, TR, McLaren and anything Honda engined is out of the question... :o:D

Man of Honour
Was something published about this or is it your opinion?

Honestly not surprised regarding Alonso, a lot of people were screaming to give young blood an opportunity but I've felt he still has a lot to offer.

There were statements made by Cyril Abiteboul at the time of Riccardo's McLaren announcement that weren't exactly rosy; there were a lot of F1 insiders remarking that it all seemed a bit "icy"

Associate
You can be sure the big teams are pouring massive amounts into development now, before the cap and before the new regulations. Sure it’s going to even things out but stable regulations do that too. Eventually anyway.

Budget caps come in for 2021, major regulation changes for 2022, and there's not a lot they can do now for 2022.

Soldato
The question needs to be asked.....What’s the point of the Renault Driver Academy? That’s the second time a race seat has gone to an establishment driver.

I’m not exactly the biggest Red Bull fan but at least they promote their drivers through their system.

Back
Top Bottom