Alonso to return to F1 in 2021

Soldato
Alonso on a slow day is still quicker than most. But he likely won't have the car under him and will get frustrated and start whinging.

That said, if ever there was a driver to wring the neck of a mid pack runner, Alonso is one of a few you would choose.

Perhaps he has his eye on another seat though, and is playing the long game. Who knows.

Soldato
It was only last year that he really struggled, and was solidly beat by Perez. He needs to improve this season.
He struggled in qualifying. Badly. But his race pace was far better than most expected considering he was up against what's considered to be one of the best at race management.

It might be a bit early to tell how well he could do with a car which, on occasion, might be the best of the rest. Barring a major upset a race win is out of the question, and he lacks the patience and consistency to beat Perez over the season, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him on the podium this year.

Soldato
Alonso on a slow day is still quicker than most. But he likely won't have the car under him and will get frustrated and start whinging.

That said, if ever there was a driver to wring the neck of a mid pack runner, Alonso is one of a few you would choose.

Perhaps he has his eye on another seat though, and is playing the long game. Who knows.
I would say the Honda powered McLaren was pretty dire even compared to the current Renault so I wouldn't imagine he'll be frustrated and whinging that much.

If Renault give him a half decent car I firmly believe he'll be the mid pack driver to beat, I agree with gav that he'll get a podium at some point.

Soldato
I would say the Honda powered McLaren was pretty dire even compared to the current Renault so I wouldn't imagine he'll be frustrated and whinging that much.

If Renault give him a half decent car I firmly believe he'll be the mid pack driver to beat, I agree with gav that he'll get a podium at some point.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see Alonso in a decent car and fighting for podiums. I'm just not convinced he will get it at Renault. That said, 2021 is a massive unknown and its a canny move by Renault as Alonso is capable of getting every last tenth out of a car - any car.

I'm just a bit concerned with their track record over recent seasons and whilst I would like to think the new spec for 2021 is a great leveller - I'm not convinced it will be. Renault have slipped further back with current rules and car spec that they are arguably far more knowledgeable of, so perhaps a brand new spec and a different competitive environment will be a bridge too far. I'm not sure either way but I would definitely prefer to see mid pack teams in with a shout for podiums and if Renault can provide a decent car then Alonso has the ability to podium all day long.

Soldato
Maybe Rosberg had it worked out perfectly retiring at 31, when many on here was making derogatory comments about him retiring. Some people need to make their mind up.

Rosberg knew that he’d only clinched his Championship by dint of Hamilton’s losing around 40 points to reliability issues on his side of the garage. Even then, he only beat Hamilton by 5 points...

Soldato
Don't get me wrong, I would love to see Alonso in a decent car and fighting for podiums. I'm just not convinced he will get it at Renault. That said, 2021 is a massive unknown and its a canny move by Renault as Alonso is capable of getting every last tenth out of a car - any car.

I'm just a bit concerned with their track record over recent seasons and whilst I would like to think the new spec for 2021 is a great leveller - I'm not convinced it will be. Renault have slipped further back with current rules and car spec that they are arguably far more knowledgeable of, so perhaps a brand new spec and a different competitive environment will be a bridge too far. I'm not sure either way but I would definitely prefer to see mid pack teams in with a shout for podiums and if Renault can provide a decent car then Alonso has the ability to podium all day long.
Yep totally agree, the Renault actually looks pretty decent this year so if they can develeop it into something better next then yes absolutely Alonso should be on for a podium or two.

I wonder if Ric will be made to give up a few practice sessions this year to make way for him...

Soldato
I rather doubt their contract lets them force him. I think Ocon is more likely to be subbed.

I don't think it matters though. If Renault break the contract. What can happen? He'd be free to leave. Well he's going anyway. He could sue for lost earnings. But then he hasn't lost any unless his sponsors cover such things. Sue for damage to his career? He's already got a new job, so nothing has been lost. Emotional distress? He's an Aussie, such a thing doesn't exist.

Soldato
Sky F1 have said he has already been asked, and said no! Lol .

Not sure how true that is though :)
Really? Cheeky gits :p I reckon Renault would have Alonso in that seat for tomorrow's GP if they had the choice, there's some bad blood over there by some accounts.

It's a bit mad really, we are only one race in and already next years seats are all pretty much done and dusted, if Bottas has a bad year Russell will slot in to the Merc seat (which is ineviatable at some point) Bottas may well end up back at Williams.

Soldato
Rosberg knew that he’d only clinched his Championship by dint of Hamilton’s losing around 40 points to reliability issues on his side of the garage. Even then, he only beat Hamilton by 5 points...
Rosberg was just cruising the last few races, knowing that even if Hamilton won, all he had to do was finish 2nd.

Apparently winning the title was his only goal by then. He did what he needed to do and left on his terms.

To be fair, Rosberg had his own share of unreliability over the era which robbed him of other chances to challenge for the title.

Caporegime

The more time passes since that season, the more I think Rosberg deserved it. He gave everything, concentrated on his strengths, raced for the championship, and beat the best driver of the last fifteen years as a result. He knew he'd reached his high point, and he bowed out. I have a lot of respect for that.

Soldato
He gets a court injunction preventing anyone else from driving the car. And, IIRC, there are sporting rules about this stuff?

Possibly. Sporting rules never trump an actual court of the land though. It would be a bit like the Sauber situation a few years ago. Nothing came of the court case in the end.

Really? Cheeky gits :p I reckon Renault would have Alonso in that seat for tomorrow's GP if they had the choice, there's some bad blood over there by some accounts.

It's a bit mad really, we are only one race in and already next years seats are all pretty much done and dusted, if Bottas has a bad year Russell will slot in to the Merc seat (which is ineviatable at some point) Bottas may well end up back at Williams.

Unless he's a Kimi type character that just loves to race drive anything, I can't see what the point of joining Williams would be. After driving for Mercedes a title winning car, what would your motivation be for joining Williams unless you thought you would be instrumental in rebuilding the team and were given/bought shares in it.

Back
Top Bottom