Alphacool NexXxoS Graphics card water block

Associate
I'm looking at getting one of the Alphacool NexXxoS nVidia 6800/7800 Graphics Card Cooler water blocks to cool my 7800GT but i'm wondering how much clearance there would be with 1/2" ID hose (and the barbs). As the hose tails/barbs come out the side of the block i'm thinking with the size of hose I'm using it's going to get in the way of the side of the case... Are there any elbows that would fit this block that I could use instead? Though i suppose elbows would be too hard to get on the block seeing how close the threads are.
Any one tried this block with 1/2" ID tubing?

Soldato
It might be better to use 10mm tubing as the block has 1/4" threads. Using smaller tubing won't make a difference to temps as the blocks seem pretty restrictive anyway. If you wan't 1/2" barbs you will have to get them elsewhere as OCUK don't stock them! the design of the block looks like it would be VERY tight in SLI!

Associate
OP
I won't be SLI-ing it but I'm thinking of changing my tubing either as the rest of my system currently uses 1/2" ID... Sounds like i'm going to be making my own water block...

Associate
OP
So one of those and some ram sinks?
I was hoping to avoid ram sinks as I would like to be able to remove them, any suggestions for any that could be removed?

Associate
iv got the same problem with mine i do realy want to get read of my thermaltake aqu 3 gpu block but my rad in the thi-chi is in the way so cant have anything the come out towards the door of the case bummer. still thinking of a way to get round it

Soldato
GPU ram runs cooler than normal DDR ram. GPU ram is made hotter by the heat from the GPU, take away that heat source and they don't heat up as much. I run my 6800 GT @ Ultra (hotter than a 7800GTX) with no ram sinks! Water cooling ram adds very little.

Associate
OP
To be honest I don't feel comfortable not cooling the memory, you say the graphics cards DDR3 runs cooler than DDR but my DDR didnt come with a huge heatsink strapped to it.
Do you have any temperature readings off your graphics card memory? How do you know it doesnt require cooling?

Back
Top Bottom