Alternatives to a Supra?

OcUK Staff
Hi there

You should either get yourself a fast diesel with all mod cons. BMW's, Audi's tend to be good choices and you can get real good cars due to big depreciation.

Or go hot hatch/coupe and maybe look at Honda VTEC's in that price range along with maybe other hot hatches like the Clio's/Civics etc. Or look at stuff like the Celica GT4's and Fiat Turbo's.

In fact a Toyota GT4 with the right mods would be as quick as your Supra but out handle it I'd imagine and still return better MPG. :)

Man of Honour
Gibbo said:
Hi there

You should either get yourself a fast diesel with all mod cons. BMW's, Audi's tend to be good choices and you can get real good cars due to big depreciation.

He's unlikely to get one of these for his budget.

Soldato
I went from a nice VTEC engine to a 2.5 litre twin turbo lump and I really miss the revviness my Prelude had. This engine is really lazy and though I know how fast it is, it just doesn't feel it.

Soldato
Aye I understand that mate, twin turbos are very smooth so they dont feel as quick as they are.

I always liked my power to be at low revs though, especially as I use the motorway everyday.
It was awful with a small revvy vtec sitting at 80 going "WAAAAARRRRR" all the time.

Man of Honour
Skywalker said:
A vote here for an accord type R , as you wanted basically and with in your budget . motorway you can see 30mpg at 85mph .

http://www.typervault.co.uk plenty of pics there to look at

I'm trying to think of ways the Accord is a superior choice to the Mondeo ST200 - other than outright straightline speed where the Accord is quicker (0-60 6.5 v 6.9 with the Mondeo) it's inferior in everywhere else, including looks, interior, price, power delivery style (200bhp from a nice 2.5 V6 > 200bhp from a whiney thrashy VTEC 4 pot).

It's also a tad more unique - huge rear wing aside the Accord Type R is no different in looks to the millions of other Accords on the road whereas at least the ST200 stands out with its unique imperial blue paintwork.

Associate
[TW]Fox said:
I'm trying to think of ways the Accord is a superior choice to the Mondeo ST200 - other than outright straightline speed where the Accord is quicker (0-60 6.5 v 6.9 with the Mondeo) it's inferior in everywhere else, including looks, interior, price, power delivery style (200bhp from a nice 2.5 V6 > 200bhp from a whiney thrashy VTEC 4 pot).

It's also a tad more unique - huge rear wing aside the Accord Type R is no different in looks to the millions of other Accords on the road whereas at least the ST200 stands out with its unique imperial blue paintwork.

Handling for one , you wont find a better handling car this size thats front wheel drive and non turbo , 0-60 is 6.1 not 6.5 , The st200 looks like hundreds of millions of other mondeos , The accord come in pirates black aswell , Full recaro seats , Better brakes , will out live a mondeo , more reliable . Cost wise they are more expensive because at the end of the day there not a rep car with hundreds on the road and wont break as easy . There also around 210-220 aswell from all of them that i have seen dyno'd

Man of Honour
Skywalker said:
Handling for one , you wont find a better handling car this size thats front wheel drive and non turbo ,

You won't find a better handling FWD car than a Honda Accord? I think the millions of 106 GTi, Mitsubishi FTO and Honda Integra owners out there will be along in a second to explain just how wrong that is.

I cannot put my hand on my heart and say the ST200 is the better handling car as I've not driven the Accord in Type R form but I would be suprised if it's noticeably better and not suprised if it isn't as good as a 200.

0-60 is 6.1 not 6.5 , The st200 looks like hundreds of millions of other mondeos

What, and the Accord doesn't look like hundreds of millions of other Accords? All it has to make it stand out from the crowed is a huge wing on the back. No noticebaly different bodykit etc. The Mondeo has the bodykit, which makes it noticeably better than a regular car (Although yes, the same kit is found on other cars in the range) and the unique Imperial Blue paintwork.

Full recaro seats

Yup, the Mondeo has full Recaro leather seats.

out live a mondeo , more reliable.

Out live a Mondeo? Neither car is reknowned for falling apart - both are very good cars and reliable. You'll get bored of both long before either show signs of ever even starting to fall apart.

Cost wise they are more expensive because at the end of the day there not a rep car with hundreds on the road

Are you actually sitting there with a straight face trying to tell me that the Honda Accord is *not* a 'rep car with hundreds on the road'? Surely not?

Both cars are from the SAME class - they are BOTH based on rep cars. Sorry.

It's quite funny how a few months ago you liked the Mondeo and were looking for an ST24 to buy but now you have a Honda Accord they are apparently rubbish. Yea, ok. Take the fanboy glasses off please :p

Associate
I said handling for that size car . There is no way the ST200 will handle anywhere near as good as the ATR .

look at the seats in the mondeo and then look at the seats in the accord . The mondeo seats are boaring looking .

Im saying I see loads of st200's and rarely see an ATR . The only ones i have seen are at meets and thats all .

Every thing i have said is about the accord TYPE R and not a standard one . There is a hell of a lot of difference between the 2 .

Back
Top Bottom