Always thought of becoming a GP..

Man of Honour
cleanbluesky said:
Anyone know what money consultants get? I have read about 75k

There's no real way of me proving so but consultants KNOW what they're doing even with their finances and where to get extra work. This figure is even more so since more and more hospitals are becoming teaching hospitals and thus take medical students. (Essentially the Royal Hospital in the centre of Liverpool get's about £7m from the city's medical students, radiotherapy students etc

I think £75k is a starting wage but seriously i'd 150% that figure upward :)

It's true that even if you're the dog's doodah's at what you do you don't get to consultant-land till about 32+ you're being paid to work as an F1, F2, SHO, Reg, SPR with wages rising from about £30k a year.

There is lots of talk of lessening the hours doctor's work to be in line with the european 45 hours a week, but if you're not working around 72 hours a week, then 1) you won't get enough patient contact and 2) you're patients might be neglected slightly :o

Man of Honour
Beansprout said:
Don't go there.

Overworked maybe, but not overpaid.

GPs got paid a lot more and respected a lot more ~20 - 30 years ago (and further back, of course).

No not overpaid (sorry edited), more and more work is being removed from the hospital and put into GP surgeries as medical equipment becomes more portable or lighter. My GP who i'm placed with this year told me this but i'm struggling to understand what he means exactly :confused:

As for more respected; oddly enough he says that those good people who respect GP's are becoming more so, but those that come and scank sickness benifet etc are getting more manipulative and abusive. That I do suppose depends on where your GP sugergy is located :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
If they're doing more work how are they overpaid I don't understand what you mean by that? I think you're assuming that as more work get's removed from hospitals that the money get's put into GPs' coffers, which isn't the case afaik.

I never said that they're overpaid btw....

edit - where I put overworked on the beginning of my last post, I meant overpaid! Apologies for the confusion!

Associate
Consultants normally get 70-80 k, but they can do private work to make more. From those i have talked to it seems it largely depends on how good you are, but 150k seems quite common.

Would be nice to earn that some day, but it will probably have all changed by the time im 30+ anyway

Back
Top Bottom