Am I just screwed?

Soldato
I used to have a personal 6mbit with BT. My family has a 2nd 5mbit line with BT that they use for netflix and stuff. It was fine cause I could watch 720p youtube/twitch and play online video games without worrying about congestion.

BT wanted to raise my price four fold and double my contract length so I left and joined origin broadband. Both were/are up to 17mbit unlimited contracts.

Once openreach had done their fiddling I was surprised to see I could only get 3mbit on my line. Furthermore I was stuck on G.DMT (ADSL1). The speed has now dropped to 2mbit and SNR margin has been raised to 15db - previously at 9 iirc.

Their BT line is still at 5mbit with ADSL2 and 2+ available. Same cabinet for both connections.

Raised this to origin broadband (who to be fair have been doing a lot of work to solve this) and they seem to be hitting wall getting anything done to improve it cause it would involve openreach getting off their lazy bums and because my speeds are above their estimate of above 1mbit, everything is dandy.

xfkI3o9.png

mine:
fDY7o3Y.png

family's:
vbbeSAD.png

Default:
HGKqGPu.png
Lowered to 3.5
TzGGHrP.png

Am I just completely out of options? 480p video at 30fps is really really crap.

Soldato
OP
From my ticket with Origin's tech team

"They [openreach] have said the connection is configured for ADSL only as they expect there to be no increase on ADSL2 so it is not enabled. I have requested that they enable this so that we can see if there is any scope for improvement on ADSL2/2+"

Caporegime
From my ticket with Origin's tech team

"They [openreach] have said the connection is configured for ADSL only as they expect there to be no increase on ADSL2 so it is not enabled. I have requested that they enable this so that we can see if there is any scope for improvement on ADSL2/2+"
Argue that you were on ADSL2+ before?

Soldato
Currently in the south lake district. Forgot to update my location - sorry!

Ah :)

I am my gf's house in Davidson's Mains. Ran a download test and she's only got 3mb here which is bad. Even at my place at Rannoch I get over 4mb and I'm 6 miles up the loch from the exchange.

Soldato
I'm surprised Origin are even getting back in touch with you regarding this, Horrible CS when I had a fault which resulted in me cancelling my broadband with them after 2 month.

Soldato
OP
I chose origin cause they were absurdly cheap and the ISP shouldn't really matter when it's all openreach's hardware anyway. I knew the reviews were bad but that is true for all isps. I don't regret choosing them as they have been very good with customer service.

Caporegime
I chose origin cause they were absurdly cheap and the ISP shouldn't really matter when it's all openreach's hardware anyway. I knew the reviews were bad but that is true for all isps. I don't regret choosing them as they have been very good with customer service.
So much misinformation in that statement I can't even...

Back
Top Bottom