Am I missing out not using a 4k HDR Monitor (Xbox Series X)

Soldato
Hi,

I use my Xbox Series X on a desk with a 1440P monitor which I sit right in front of. I also use the same screen for work.

The screen works great with the Xbox no issues what so ever but I cant help but think I am missing out on 4K and HDR.

I want to separate my Xbox from my desk and get a decent TV but I cant do that for at least a year because I don't have the space and we're getting a loft conversation next year at which point I can buy a TV for the Xbox and separate work space from gaming space but until then is it worth upgrading my monitor bearing in mind I also use it for work and sit right in front of it?

Don't get me wrong it never fails to impress how this little box kicks out amazing graphics and performance on my current screen but I cant help but feel like I'm not using it to its full potential and I'm missing out.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Soldato
I would suggest yes. A 4k HDR OLED TV really makes some of the games pop and with the Brucie bonus of watching movies too and any other 4k hdr content; why wouldn't you!

Soldato
OP
I would suggest yes. A 4k HDR OLED TV really makes some of the games pop and with the Brucie bonus of watching movies too and any other 4k hdr content; why wouldn't you!

Yeah, it's a night and day difference for me. To the point, a game looks better on my PS5 on the OLED than it does on maxed-out settings on PC on my monitor.

Sorry I wasn't clear, I cant get a TV yet if I upgrade it has to be a monitor that will also be used for work

I'm effectively wondering if its worth upgrading to a 4K HDR monitor until the loft conversion is done at which point I'll be getting a TV anyway

Sounds like I am missing out though :(

Man of Honour
1440p to 4K is not perceptible at most normal viewing distances, but HDR is fantastic. I don’t know of any monitors that do HDR as well as an OLED TV though.

1440p120 has much higher motion resolution compared to 4K60 so you are actually missing out on a lot of motion detail if you use 4K60.

Soldato
OP
1440p to 4K is not perceptible at most normal viewing distances, but HDR is fantastic. I don’t know of any monitors that do HDR as well as an OLED TV though.

1440p120 has much higher motion resolution compared to 4K60 so you are actually missing out on a lot of motion detail if you use 4K60.

Sounds like I best wait it out with my current monitor until I have space for a TV dedicated to the Xbox.

Thanks

Soldato
the screen can make a big difference but i dont think it would be worth running out and getting a brand new screen.

i dont see what all the fuss is about with 4K, i dont get any extra enjoyment out of it myself but others seem obsessed with it

Soldato
Sounds like I best wait it out with my current monitor until I have space for a TV dedicated to the Xbox.

Thanks
Definitely wait it out. As above if you're 8-10 feet away with a TV the resolution bump is barely noticeable. HDR when implemented well is a wonder to behold - definitely feels like the biggest difference to me. Even older games with HDR will look amazing on an OLED. I know you're talking monitors specifically but to upgrade a monitor and then buy an OLED TV wouldn't make much sense. Better to keep the money for the TV after the conversion and upgrade when you've got the space. FOMO though we all understand that!

Soldato
OP
Definitely wait it out. As above if you're 8-10 feet away with a TV the resolution bump is barely noticeable. HDR when implemented well is a wonder to behold - definitely feels like the biggest difference to me. Even older games with HDR will look amazing on an OLED. I know you're talking monitors specifically but to upgrade a monitor and then buy an OLED TV wouldn't make much sense. Better to keep the money for the TV after the conversion and upgrade when you've got the space. FOMO though we all understand that!

For sure, thinking about it now it's a bit daft to splurge a large wedge of cash on a monitor when I'll definitely be getting a dedicated TV in a year's time.

Just a shame I'm missing out on HDR but monitors with decent HDR still aren't on par with TVs and are just as if not more expensive from what I'm reading

Associate
the screen can make a big difference but i dont think it would be worth running out and getting a brand new screen.

i dont see what all the fuss is about with 4K, i dont get any extra enjoyment out of it myself but others seem obsessed with it

It's all in the details, you can see so much more of it. Why would you want to see less details in the textures if a device offers 4k?

Man of Honour
No difference on a 27 inch monitor and higher frame rate by running 1440p

Bingo. It’s annoying how many people fall for the 4K marketing despite the difference not being observable in most situations.

Everyone not running at 120Hz is missing out on an enormous boost to motion resolution, input latency, and other benefits.

The Xbox isn’t powerful enough for 4K120 in any game with decent graphics so there is no difference between 1440p and 4K for 120Hz games.

Associate
Ah you see I would not play on a 27 inch screen. If you are playing on a screen that size you only need the Series S @ 1080p or maybe 1440 but even at 1440 I would want at least a 32 inch screen. Series X is marketed as a 4k machine, playing on anything less then 4k 45 inch screen makes the Series X a pointless purchase imo.

120hz will not be normal for 90% of games, 4k/60 is what I am hoping from this generation once the new games start rolling out.

Caporegime
Ah you see I would not play on a 27 inch screen. If you are playing on a screen that size you only need the Series S @ 1080p or maybe 1440 but even at 1440 I would want at least a 32 inch screen. Series X is marketed as a 4k machine, playing on anything less then 4k 45 inch screen makes the Series X a pointless purchase imo. Can it even do 1440p at 120hz ? Warzone only runs 110-120fps on my series X at 1440p. (Massively better image than 1080p)

120hz will not be normal for 90% of games, 4k/60 is what I am hoping from this generation once the new games start rolling out.
Need and want are two different things. Personally I see the series S as a bit short sighted for this gen.

OP didn’t mention monitor size either so I’m just guessing.

Last edited:
Associate
Need and want are two different things. Personally I see the series S as a bit short sighted for this gen.

OP didn’t mention monitor size either so I’m just guessing.

True. Either way if the op has brought a 4k console then surely you would play it at 4k HDR as marketed. Otherwise it's the Series S, just my opinion though. 1080/1440 should be what the S can handle for much less money. Although I don't think it will handle that at 60fps for future games without severe graphical downgrades in textures.

Caporegime
But the series S can’t do 1440p at 120fps. The series X only does 110-120 (According to my monitor when VRR is on ) on warzone at 1440p@120fps.

And then I can plug it into a 4K OLED in the lounge etc. I don’t really like FPS on big screens

Associate
But the series S can’t do 1440p at 120fps. The series X only does 110-120 (According to my monitor when VRR is on ) on warzone at 1440p@120fps.

And then I can plug it into a 4K OLED in the lounge etc. I don’t really like FPS on big screens

120 is just a gimmick ATM, same as 8k. I only hope for 4k/60 this gen being the norm. The one X was meant to do 4k/60, probably on tetris. We pretty much got 4k/25-30 on most games.

Back
Top Bottom