Am I missing out not using a 4k HDR Monitor (Xbox Series X)

Man of Honour
4K is marketed because it looks better in screenshots and YouTube videos, and the dumdums that make up the general population can’t comprehend motion resolution and how it makes 1440p120 vastly superior to 4K60.

Soldato
Playing the upgraded version of Skyrim on the OLED with HDR and 120FPS is epic. It's a huge upgrade from where we were before and likely would be for anyone who played it on release on the old system with their old screen.

Soldato
OP
True. Either way if the op has brought a 4k console then surely you would play it at 4k HDR as marketed. Otherwise it's the Series S, just my opinion though. 1080/1440 should be what the S can handle for much less money. Although I don't think it will handle that at 60fps for future games without severe graphical downgrades in textures.

I bought a 1440P 32" monitor to go with my Series X because I thought I would be getting 1440P 120 and I dont have any choice but to use a monitor at the moment. I'm not actually sure what its doing half the time, my monitor shows that its running at 120FPS when I checked it previously.
As the OP states I'll be getting a TV for it when I have the room until then I frustratingly have to miss out on HDR gaming.

Also why would I buy a Series S with a 512GB HDD when I could get the X with better performance, double the HDD and knowing it'll be used with a 4K TV in the future? Seems a bit daft to me.

Caporegime
120 is just a gimmick ATM, same as 8k. I only hope for 4k/60 this gen being the norm. The one X was meant to do 4k/60, probably on tetris. We pretty much got 4k/25-30 on most games.

How is higher motion resolution and much faster response a gimmick? Going from 120 to 60 makes it so much harder to see people when looking around on any FPS

Associate
How is higher motion resolution and much faster response a gimmick? Going from 120 to 60 makes it so much harder to see people when looking around on any FPS

I meant this gen being a sales gimmick, of course 120 is better than 60. But you won't be seeing many games running at 120 this gen. The whole 120 thing is pretty much out of reach for most games. Maybe next gen if we are lucky.

Caporegime
I meant this gen being a sales gimmick, of course 120 is better than 60. But you won't be seeing many games running at 120 this gen. The whole 120 thing is pretty much out of reach for most games. Maybe next gen if we are lucky.
Loads of games run 120? Especially after FPS boost introduced

Man of Honour

I have 8 games currently installed that run at a locked 120 and 3 that run in the 100-120 region.

What are you on about? Are you sure that you’re not playing in a One X? :cry:

Associate
Yeah sure old games with fps boost and the odd new fairly basic games. I would hope the series X could run xbox one x games at 60 plus fps. I am talking about when the proper next gen games come out, they won't be 120fps unless they are platform games or MP. Flight sim running at 120fps? No. The Medium run at 120fps? No

Soldato
OP
Yeah sure old games with fps boost and the odd new fairly basic games. I would hope the series X could run xbox one x games at 60 plus fps. I am talking about when the proper next gen games come out, they won't be 120fps unless they are platform games or MP. Flight sim running at 120fps? No. The Medium run at 120fps? No

Don't they run at 4k/60 though? That's pretty impressive tbh for a £450 box if they do

The thing I don't understand is for games that run 4K\60 why you can't decide to run 1440p\120 or does it just do it itself if you set the resolution to 1440p? I just forgot about it all and enjoy gaming tbh one of main reasons I'm glad I jacked pc gaming in all the messing about

Associate
Don't they run at 4k/60 though? That's pretty impressive tbh for a £450 box if they do

The thing I don't understand is for games that run 4K\60 why you can't decide to run 1440p\120 or does it just do it itself if you set the resolution to 1440p? I just forgot about it all and enjoy gaming tbh one of main reasons I'm glad I jacked pc gaming in all the messing about

Flight sim is 30fps, but can go quite high with VRR, but it crashes back down again causing stutter when you rotate the camera.

Medium is roughly 40 fps I remember reading somewhere.

Same here BTW, gave up PC gaming when the X came out. As you say for £450 it is a beast, if it hits 4k/60 on most games I personally will be over the moon with it. I literally cannot stand 30fps.

Soldato
Give me 1440p 120fps over 4K 60fps any day - I have my Xbox series X connected to my 27inch Monitor for this reason and will play all multiplayer games in this set up, increasingly with keyboard and mouse. I will likely get a PS5 for story drive single player games and likely keep that mainly in the living room with the LG OLED 4K TV for HDR etc.

Man of Honour

You are so out of touch with reality.

https://www.windowscentral.com/list-xbox-series-x-and-s-games-120-fps-support#list

Pretty much all next gen FPS games will be targeting 120 FPS.

Associate
You are so out of touch with reality.

https://www.windowscentral.com/list-xbox-series-x-and-s-games-120-fps-support#list

Pretty much all next gen FPS games will be targeting 120 FPS.

That list is all old xbox one games. Of course the Series X will double or triple the fps of last gen games with FPS boost. I very much doubt new games will be 4k/120. Even top end PCs struggle with that. Unless you meaning racing games and MP games then yeah of course as they are not demanding.

Flight Sim is a proper good example of a new game so far, 4k/30 without VRR more with VRR but not stable. But it does look stunning but it certainly is nowhere near 120.

Man of Honour
That list is all old xbox one games. Of course the Series X will double or triple the fps of last gen games with FPS boost. I very much doubt new games will be 4k/120. Even top end PCs struggle with that. Unless you meaning racing games and MP games then yeah of course as they are not demanding.

Flight Sim is a proper good example of a new game so far, 4k/30 without VRR more with VRR but not stable. But it does look stunning but it certainly is nowhere near 120.

Why have you moved the goalpost from 120 FPS to 4K120? :confused:

No one, not even Microsoft has said that 4K120 is the target. 1080-1440P is the target for 120 FPS.

I can't give you a list of Series exclusive games because there are so few of them, what major FPS games have released exclusive to Series? All competitive FPS games from the previous gen (if patched to be "Series X|S aware" or supporting 60 -> 120 FPS boost) and in development for current gen will have 120 FPS options. Slower paced games where motion resolution is less important will typically up the graphics settings and target an appropriate lower frame rate.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
So is there a 1440p monitor that supports full HDR?

Or are you all using 4K TVs but setting the resolution to 1440p and if you're doing that how do you know the game is running at 120fps and not 1440p/60?

I'm not too fussed about 4K but I am about HDR and my Xbox doesn't detect my monitor as a HDR monitor even though it's meant support some basic version of it

Soldato
I dunno; Ori and the Will of the Wisps on XBOX Series X running at 4k120 HDR on an LG CX looks and plays outstandingly but like others I'm good with 1440p/120. I hope developers provide that as another option in-game where practical.

Back
Top Bottom