Associate
I have just upgraded a few internal parts and wondering if I have enough umphh to try out VR. I have tried using the headset with a Galaxy S6 using Samsung headset t get a feel and was impressed, however it goes off after 5 mins due to the phone overheating.

So I have,
i7 2600k (overclocked to 4.4ghz)
Vega 56 (overclocked can’t remember to what but 950 is in my head)
16gb memory

Would I be limited to say Windows VR or could I stretch to Oculous or Vive.
I don’t want to break the bank for something that may collect dust after the novelty has worn off. Hopefully they are fun enough to keep using.

Any thoughts on how my rig stacks up or should I forget VR and wait for a new system build.
Was thinking either VR or seeing if I could go from 1080p to 144p (think that’s between 1080 and 4k)

Associate
Your system is decent and well suited to vr.
+1 for a 2nd hand Oculus Rift if you just want to test the water
or an Oculus Rift S if you want to jump in brand new, it's a friendly system to set up

Associate
+1 for WMR.

I was an early Vive adopter and then got a WMR later on. Was really impressed with WMR and how easy it was to use. Controller tracking was the only drawback, but it worked surprisingly well under 95% of circumstances. They're really really cheap to boot.

Rift is more comfortable than both though!

Associate
sorry what is CV1 and WMR?

CV1 means the retail version of the Oculus Rift. It was released about 3 years ago and so are now available 2nd hand. Previous versions of the Oculus Rift were development versions.

WMR is Windows Mixed Reality. There are a number of headsets from a variety of manufacturers that use this Microsoft vr platform.

Soldato
Personally I'd recommend going for the new Oculus rift s if you can as that's looking like the headset to have if you're ok with the £400 price tag.

The WMR headsets have too many foibles (average tracking, uncomfortable controllers, mediocre game support, compatibility issues) in my experience. Unless your get one cheap (<£150) just to try out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom